• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony forcing you to buy a new TV?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
microsoft already forced me to buy a new tv, and i don't see why hdmi would make ps3 unplayable on an sdtv -- ps3's still got the same multi-out port as ps1 and ps2. you don't even have to buy new cables.

Miburou

Yes. Most retailers are only accepting PS3 preorders if you put a $500 down payment on a Bravia (46" and above) or SXRD (50" and above).

JoJo13

Banned
I think seasonal HD sports programs are the main reason for most people to buy a new TV, HD gaming and movies are an extra catch to toss on screen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
From SD -> HD, sure, i think MS & Capcom already did a pretty good job of that, from 720p -> 1080p no way.

Acosta

I wouldn´t change a TV for 720P to 1080p, I already did that for 360 and I think was worth, but the step to 1080 is unnecesary for someone like me, that play quite close to a 26" screen.

Joeroll

Gaijin To Ronin said:
I wouldn´t change a TV for 720P to 1080p, I already did that for 360 and I think was worth, but the step to 1080 is unnecesary for someone like me, that play quite close to a 26" screen.

This was going to be my post. :|

LukeSmith

They can't even sell me on their friggin' console -- what possible sway do you think they have over my other consumer purchases.

Grayman

Not yet. 1080p is so expensive and well, why get a lesser tv like a 720p. I'll be playing next gen in standard def for quite a few years. Now obviously one day towards the end of the lifecycle if TVs are more stable(something more r0xx0rz isn't out) i'll get one.

No.1

It's estimated that everyone will have to switch to HD televisions (or similar) by the year 2012, so I think this is slowly the step in the right direction. Obviously, these next-gen console aren't forcing you to buy a new tv, but much like watching a movie on a HD tv compared to a normal tv, it isn't quite as appealing.

I'm planning to buy a new tv early next year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
you should have a 720p widescreen set. Not forcing you to, but they are gorgeous for HD gaming.

You don't need 1080p for direct view sets < 50" - you just won't notice the difference - 720p is fine.

Even my 720p projector at 96" is amazing.

1080p is just FUD and marketing bollocks. Just ignore it and dont' think yourself a 2nd class citizen if you have 720p. But you are if you only have 480p :p

123rl

Sony can't persuade me to buy a 1080p TV. As everyone has said, 1080p is completely OTT for TVs in the 26-50" range. And since I have no intention of buying any bigger, I'm very happy with 720p at 32" @ 9' away from the screen

Microsoft forced me to buy a 32" Toshiba LCD though...those bastards.

123rl

Where do you live? What country?

There's a big difference between "what's the cheapest 720p TV?" and "what's the cheapest 720p TV that wouldn't make want to stab my eyes out every time I look at the image?"

In the UK you can buy a Toshiba 32WL66P (which is my TV) for £600. I guarantee that'll be the best 720p LCD you'll find for that money. You can buy a lot of 26" TVs for that price too, but you might as well go for the 32" Toshiba

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
123rl said:
In the UK you can buy a Toshiba 32WL66P (which is my TV) for £600. I guarantee that'll be the best 720p LCD you'll find for that money.

You can go cheaper, though. Samsung do a CRT HD TV for less than £400, and you can get decent enough 720p LCDs for less than £500.

Grayman

123rl said:
Where do you live? What country?

There's a big difference between "what's the cheapest 720p TV?" and "what's the cheapest 720p TV that wouldn't make want to stab my eyes out every time I look at the image?"

In the UK you can buy a Toshiba 32WL66P (which is my TV) for £600. I guarantee that'll be the best 720p LCD you'll find for that money. You can buy a lot of 26" TVs for that price too, but you might as well go for the 32" Toshiba
canada but US dollars is fine since I can figure out the difference.

Grayman

iapetus said:
You can go cheaper, though. Samsung do a CRT HD TV for less than £400, and you can get decent enough 720p LCDs for less than £500.
the only tube tv(26HF85C) I can find at the online store I look for stuff at only does 540p/1080i. anything lcd is out of price range. also all of them do at least 1080i(the website never list 1080p even if it does it=/), i can't find anything that just tops out at 720p.

playing in 1080i would be worse than 720p because of the redraw rate yes?

Top Bottom