• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony going to ever fix the quality control with their controllers?

Audiophile

Gold Member
I really hope hall effect sticks are standard for PS6.. a revision for the PS5 DualSense (and the Edge) should be easy-peasy but I bet they'll hold it back as a marketable feature for the next gen.

Last edited:
I've heard of the Hall effects ( I think they are magnetic sensors). I'd have to pick up some soldering equipment to remove. I'll probably end up picking up a black or red controller and then try to experiment on the one with issues. I wanted to make the PS5 Black and Red themed anyway. If I can successfully fix the non-functioning controller, I might go ahead and purchase joystick replacements to replace any further controllers I get

Yeah.
Who makes hall effect sticks for them?

I've opened mine up before for battery purposes, is it easy to install the new sticks?
There's actually no brand names on Polish sites, there's similar site to Amazon on Polish side of the internets or Walmart+.
They list PS5 hall effect sticks as "PS5 HALLA ANALOG"

Under brands there's only: different (WeLoveGames) or (Infinity)

There's EAN code of 5903981915811 listed on some of these.

I suspect these are GuliKit modules - since it's patented. It just gets exported from China under no-name brands. But dunno, they look a bit different.

Pics of the ones that are available:

3D5pMFZ.jpg
5VOMRDe.jpg
HmW0Kwj.jpg

You have to solder them in, no easy process.

Might wanna try to search them on AliExpress, if Amazon or Walmart+ or whatever site abroad won't have those.

So I will be paying a few "bucks" more in unlicensed shop to put them in. There's one in Poznań with a lot of positive feedback - and they do have a stock of them on hand- since I briefly chatted with them. They already put them in for some of the customers and no issues so far but they are available for a few months(around 6 months here, I think).

2 hall effect stick modules cost like $15. So that's the cost of parts. Another $15 to put them in that would be the cost of the service.

So let's say $30 bucks per controller and you apparently won't get any drift. No customer has had warranty calls or anything, so far so good I think. They do give their own warranty so you can RMA it if so.

They just put your controller serial number into their database. It helps them track stuff and I suppose it's a way to protect themselves from any scams.

I suppose if you are a bit techy and have a soldering station, heat gun and desoldering pump/tool (but electrical not manual) you could do it yourself. I tried it myself back in the day on DualShock 4 and with two types of soldering irons and didn't quite worked that well.

I had one soldering iron from the 80s, the old type power supply thingie.
And newer, they ones you use in soldering stations.
But I did not have a soldering station in which you can set temperature in so there's that.

And even if I managed to heat the solder in the soldering point my desoldering manual pump was too weak to remove the solder. Then I have read that actually some hi-end soldering stations have electrical desoldering tool- and I just gave up. It's not that expensive to sit at it for hours with shitty equipment or buy quality stuff just for one or two controllers.

If someone already has those that's a different matter altogether.

Or there aren't any shops which do this kind of thing in your area.

I honestly think any tech repair guy would replace those, RTV/AGD or HiFi tech could do this too- if you provide the parts. So I would search this way for someone also. Not only by "controller repair shops".

Edit: yup they are there:

It's curious to see that Xbox Series has a bit different hall effect joysticks, huh.

There's even a different one for DualShock 4...

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I've been very lucky with both of my Edge's and the DS5 that came with my PS5. No issues at all over 100's and 100's of hours and I've not even had to replace any thumbstick modules. However I have had issues with Scuf controllers thumbsticks but with both their Xbox and PS5 options, so that for me is a Scuf quality issue. But for first party, by and way by a country mile, its the Series Elite 2 which has given me the most issues from a QC perspective. Dodgy face buttons, stick drift, dodgy bumpers, you name it its suffered from them. I still love it though, but my Edge's are my favs.

I've been very lucky with both of my Edge's and the DS5 that came with my PS5. No issues at all over 100's and 100's of hours and I've not even had to replace any thumbstick modules. However I have had issues with Scuf controllers thumbsticks but with both their Xbox and PS5 options, so that for me is a Scuf quality issue. But for first party, by and way by a country mile, its the Series Elite 2 which has given me the most issues from a QC perspective. Dodgy face buttons, stick drift, dodgy bumpers, you name it its suffered from them. I still love it though, but my Edge's are my favs.
Edge is a tad bit to expensive for me here. Although I would love to try a PRO pad. I've been using tactical bumper jumper controls so jumping while shooting and aiming or crouching is no problem. But I'm more curious about short click on triggers but I won't drop $200 just for that or to be more accurate $325 since that how much is mrsp in Poland...

Been playing a lot of COD, with MW2019 my PS4 Pro launch DualShock 4 didn't make it (it worked for like 4 years) and v2 DualShock 4 worked like one year.

So far no issues with my launch DualSense (2 years of usage) and my DualSense black controller (1 year of usage)

My friend on the other hand already had to replace analogs in both of his controllers around 2.5 year mark.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Edge is a tad bit to expensive for me here. Although I would love to try a PRO pad.

Been playing a lot of COD, with MW2019 my PS4 Pro launch DualShock 4 didn't make it (it worked for like 4 years) and v2 DualShock 4 worked like one year.

So far no issues with my launch DualSense (2 years of usage) and my DualSense black controller (1 year of usage)

My friend on the other hand already had to replace analogs in both of his controllers around 2.5 year mark.
I actually held off buying the Edge as I had a couple of Scuf Reflex Pro's, which had far longer battery life and 4 paddles. But the Edge is the best pro controller I've ever used, despite its flaws. I was very surprised at how much I loved it. I got two of the replacement modules in a cheap PSN store deal, but never needed to replace so far. I ended up buying a second one, just to have in rotation from a charge perspective. Use the KontrolFreek Alpha CQCx for left and CQC Rush for right. Bliss.

SkylineRKR

Well cleaning it didn't fix it. I might purchase a new one, this launch day version is old and weary. Its over 3 years old, no luck on warranty.

Edge is a no go. I mean, its battery life is even worse. And then people say, yeah but you can change analogs. True. But they come at 30 a pop too. Really, for that price I'd rather buy 4x DualSense and call it a day for this gen.

I actually held off buying the Edge as I had a couple of Scuf Reflex Pro's, which had far longer battery life and 4 paddles. But the Edge is the best pro controller I've ever used, despite its flaws. I was very surprised at how much I loved it. I got two of the replacement modules in a cheap PSN store deal, but never needed to replace so far. I ended up buying a second one, just to have in rotation from a charge perspective. Use the KontrolFreek Alpha CQCx for left and CQC Rush for right. Bliss.
I'm curious about this controller but not that curious to drop $325 here on it.

You can buy here one used for $200 lmao.

I will just held off a bit more. And see if the prices drop, maybe on used units at least.

So far no pressure here.

I will just put hall effect joysticks if I get a stick drift for $30. And we will see.

As for Scuff I also read a lot of complaints abut build quality. So I ain't even trying those for sure.

I am curious if Guilikit finally released hall effect modules for Edge controllers they were supposed to sale that first. And I already see hall effect joysticks for regular DualSenses on the market.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I'm curious about this controller but not that curious to drop $325 here on it.

You can buy here one used for $200 lmao.

I will just held off a bit more. And see if the prices drop, maybe on used units at least.

So far no pressure here.

I will just put hall effect joysticks if I get a stick drift. And we will see.

As for Scuff I also read a lot of complaints abut build quality. So I ain't even trying those for sure.

I am curious if Guilikit finally released hall effect modules for Edge controllers they were supposed to sale that first. And I already see hall effect joysticks for regular DualSenses on the market.
The Edge is one of those experiences that doesn't make sense on paper, hence why I held off getting one, but once tried physically, you'll suddenly really love it. Its got brilliant OS implementation and having trigger stops means you can effectively turn on and off adaptive triggers on the fly. There's so many little touches like that, which make it great. But as you say, its not cheap.

Personally I'm happy with the Edge's thumbstick solution. Because whilst you may never get stick drift with a hall effect module, they still have return tensioners which will wear. So at least you can just swap out the entire module easily with the Edge. I luckily got two for £10 each, if ever that needs to be done. Both my Edge's are heavily used with no issues at all so far. Touch wood...

Scufs were Ok, but all of them had notchy thumbstick modules. No regrets using them, but would likely not buy another. I modded them easily too and put in 2600mah batteries. But ended up selling them on. I'd just like an Edge with 4 paddles.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Everyone is talking about analog sticks but I think the dualsense dpad is crap compared to all the DualShock controllers that came before it. It’s like the DualShock grey plastic for the dpad was thinner and also the entire area around it was flat, whereas on the dualsense the clear plastic is thicker and half the surface area surrounding it is lower than the other half because they changed the shape of the controller.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I just bought a new controller just today to use for GeForcenow and literally out of the box the controller is completely fucked. My character spins in a circle non stop, not only that but the character is shooting its gun without me even touching anything. I was on the brink of getting vertigo trying to use this controller. Did I just get some bad luck or is this a problem with most of their controllers?

I don’t understand how their old controller is more reliable than a new one. I am now back to using a dual shock 4. I’m wondering if I should exchange the controller for another one or just get my money back and forget about it.
True stOry here. Dis happened me too. I also found an axe in my ps5 that I waited for 12 months. Also a bird nest plus a cat.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
It could be a severe case of bad luck. But yeah, all my Playstation controllers (since PS4) suffered, pretty quickly, from drifting issues. And the worst thing is that where I live they're super expensive, so I can't replace them as easily as I wished. On the other hand, my Xbox and Switch controllers are still good after years... and I hope they keep working as fine as they do for a long time. I still have an Xbox 360 controller that I bought 2010, and it's working perfectly.
It's the Sony tax. We see you are a returning customer. Now go and squeal for us like a pig.

All this bc they use a shitty 1$ part that handles the stick movements. There are repair shops that replace these shitty parts and the problem never returns.

FrankWza

I don't know if anyone noticed but the replacement module/sticks are no longer available anywhere. It's possible Sony blocked them because they are releasing their own. Maybe soon.

The Edge is one of those experiences that doesn't make sense on paper, hence why I held off getting one, but once tried physically, you'll suddenly really love it.
It's really nice. The build quality is great. Have you upgraded the battery? I have one on the way.

Quantum253

Yeah.

There's actually no brand names on Polish sites, there's similar site to Amazon on Polish side of the internets or Walmart+.
They list PS5 hall effect sticks as "PS5 HALLA ANALOG"

Under brands there's only: different (WeLoveGames) or (Infinity)

There's EAN code of 5903981915811 listed on some of these.

I suspect these are GuliKit modules - since it's patented. It just gets exported from China under no-name brands. But dunno, they look a bit different.

Pics of the ones that are available:

3D5pMFZ.jpg
5VOMRDe.jpg
HmW0Kwj.jpg

You have to solder them in, no easy process.

Might wanna try to search them on AliExpress, if Amazon or Walmart+ or whatever site abroad won't have those.

So I will be paying a few "bucks" more in unlicensed shop to put them in. There's one in Poznań with a lot of positive feedback - and they do have a stock of them on hand- since I briefly chatted with them. They already put them in for some of the customers and no issues so far but they are available for a few months(around 6 months here, I think).

2 hall effect stick modules cost like $15. So that's the cost of parts. Another $15 to put them in that would be the cost of the service.

So let's say $30 bucks per controller and you apparently won't get any drift. No customer has had warranty calls or anything, so far so good I think. They do give their own warranty so you can RMA it if so.

They just put your controller serial number into their database. It helps them track stuff and I suppose it's a way to protect themselves from any scams.

I suppose if you are a bit techy and have a soldering station, heat gun and desoldering pump/tool (but electrical not manual) you could do it yourself. I tried it myself back in the day on DualShock 4 and with two types of soldering irons and didn't quite worked that well.

I had one soldering iron from the 80s, the old type power supply thingie.
And newer, they ones you use in soldering stations.
But I did not have a soldering station in which you can set temperature in so there's that.

And even if I managed to heat the solder in the soldering point my desoldering manual pump was too weak to remove the solder. Then I have read that actually some hi-end soldering stations have electrical desoldering tool- and I just gave up. It's not that expensive to sit at it for hours with shitty equipment or buy quality stuff just for one or two controllers.

If someone already has those that's a different matter altogether.

Or there aren't any shops which do this kind of thing in your area.

I honestly think any tech repair guy would replace those, RTV/AGD or HiFi tech could do this too- if you provide the parts. So I would search this way for someone also. Not only by "controller repair shops".

Edit: yup they are there:

It's curious to see that Xbox Series has a bit different hall effect joysticks, huh.

There's even a different one for DualShock 4...
That's good info. I had an idea of what I was getting into with replacing the thumbsticks. I'll have to look locally to see if it could be done for 30/40 bucks.

On a side note, I was listening to a tech podcast yesterday, and the Hall Effect thumbsticks came up. The guy was talking about Hall Effects are great on larger area controllers like arcade sticks, but not as great in smaller areas like controllers and potentiometer sticks were still the way to go, because of the "chatter" or noise the magnets create in close movements. This is, of course, his opinion, but still non the less interesting since I've only heard positive things. I wouldn't hurt to try a set out to see for myself.

King Dazzar

It's really nice. The build quality is great. Have you upgraded the battery? I have one on the way.
No, I looked into it and there is one you can get from AliExpress, but there are mixed reports on if its any good or not and some saying it doesn't fit very well. Where as the ones I used for Scuf Reflex Pro's, were German with great reviews and no fitment issues. I'll be honest I dont really need one anymore as I have two Edges, with one always fully charged sat in a charging dock within hands reach. But it would be great to know how you get on with yours.

Codeblew

Kids and I all have at least 1 with issues. Triggers lost resistance on one, and multiple have stick drift. My favorite controller but I think build quality and price are out of touch personally.
So your kids abused your gaming hardware and that is somehow Sony's fault?

That's good info. I had an idea of what I was getting into with replacing the thumbsticks. I'll have to look locally to see if it could be done for 30/40 bucks.

On a side note, I was listening to a tech podcast yesterday, and the Hall Effect thumbsticks came up. The guy was talking about Hall Effects are great on larger area controllers like arcade sticks, but not as great in smaller areas like controllers and potentiometer sticks were still the way to go, because of the "chatter" or noise the magnets create in close movements. This is, of course, his opinion, but still non the less interesting since I've only heard positive things. I wouldn't hurt to try a set out to see for myself.
Gulikit makes Hall effect modules for Steam Deck and for Switch. I think I saw some vids about people putting them in, I think there weren't any issues and deadzone I think was slightly better too. The guy was putting headshots like crazy testing it and talking- there wasn't any talk about problems with close movements.

Yeah, you either have to use proper tools or your only will scrach your PCB and you still won't desolder a thing. Personaly I think a heat gun to heat all the solder on all legs would be good or soldering station with temperature setting. But you will need a a better tool than desoldering manual pump because those are too weak and too slow- all of this could be more expensive than a service in your area so it there might not be a point to buy this stuff only for two controllers.

If you're already into repairing stuff like vintage HiFi or recapping crossovers in vintage speakers or something like I plan get into it's just a waste of money...

Last edited:
No, I looked into it and there is one you can get from AliExpress, but there are mixed reports on if its any good or not and some saying it doesn't fit very well. Where as the ones I used for Scuf Reflex Pro's, were German with great reviews and no fitment issues. I'll be honest I dont really need one anymore as I have two Edges, with one always fully charged sat in a charging dock within hands reach. But it would be great to know how you get on with yours.
That's the same I do with my regular DualSenses. I picked up unopened box of Razer black charging station for PS5 for like $25 or so from a private seller, I have regular plastic stand for the other one.

I had old Xiaomi quick charger laying around. So it's powered from the outlet. Even if PS5 is turned off.

I just rotate them. Or if I have a longer round with COD and my friends, I just put it back on the charger when I go to sleep.

MrA

Banned
Dual sense has been really bad for me 3 drifting controllers since 2021
2 drafting xsx controllers
Several drifting joycons, but atleast nintendo fixes those no questions asked (and post 2020 controllers seem better)
Don't know what changed since I have plenty of fine ds 1 2 3, xbox 360, gc, wii and wiiu controllers that don't drift but this latest generation stick quality dropped like a rock

FrankWza

That's the same I do with my regular DualSenses. I picked up unopened box of Razer black charging station for PS5 for like $25 or so from a private seller, I have regular plastic stand for the other one.

I had old Xiaomi quick charger laying around. So it's powered from the outlet. Even if PS5 is turned off.

I just rotate them. Or if I have a longer round with COD and my friends, I just put it back on the charger when I go to sleep.
The regular DualSense have proven battery upgrades though. There's basically like one that exists for the Edge because it's a smaller form factor. It's also much easier to open the regular DualSense and you can do a back button mod while you have it open.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I still miss my custom DS4 in "PS2 Slim Box Yellow/Black" with custom battery, sticks, micro-mesh polished domes and matte shell:

20190901-215504-1920x1080-copy.jpg

Know it's not totally on-topic but can't help but post pictures of this shmexy li'l minx when I get a chance. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Do you remember what brand were those "German batteries" you used in Scuf? I may mod my regular DualSenses in the near future so it would be a good kind of info- I still rotate them so no pressure here but it would be good to know anyways.

DonJimbo

I feel they did it my PS4 Dualshock had drift from the beginning but my Dualsense works flawlessly and i hope it stays so for the PS5Pro and etc

Top Bottom