• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is teleportation Star Trek style, scientifically possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Will we ever be able to teleport ourselves from one location to another the way they do in Star Trek?

Is it scientifically possible?

I'm just sick and tired of being stuck in traffic to and from work. I just wanna take off my uniform and zap myself to my bedroom. C'mon Hito I know you'll think of someway do to it man....

android

Theoretical Magician
I've heard somewhere that due to the changes living matter is constantly going through it would be virtually impossible. The computing power would need to be astronomical. I saw this book the last time I was in the library and I think now i'm going to pick it up. It is supposed to be about the science of Star trek.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060977108/ref=cm_bg_d_29/104-4987408-1262344?v=glance
And this one is like it by William Shatner.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671047388/qid=1111826900/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-4987408-1262344?v=glance&s=books

ManaByte

OpinionatedCyborg said:
It might be possible to transport something from one side of the galaxy to the other...but how that object arrives is another story altogether.

stargateue_lg01.jpg

Jotaro

Banned
I saw that it would be possible to turn you into an electrical signal, but the problem lies with the reverse operation and that will never be possible. ;)

Koshiro

It's transportation in scientific terms though, that is applying the make-up of one atom to another, it isn't the same atom moving somewhere.

Raven.

Banned
isamu said:
Will we ever be able to teleport ourselves from one location to another the way they do in Star Trek?

Is it scientifically possible?

I'm just sick and tired of being stuck in traffic to and from work. I just wanna take off my uniform and zap myself to my bedroom. C'mon Hito I know you'll think of someway do to it man....

It'd be unnecessary anyway, with more automation, better computers, connections and the like, you'll be able to work practically anywhere from home(vr/matrix-esque style :D ). Even if you'd have to move about, say to actually experience first-hand going somewhere, probably for vacation or something, there'd be automated high-speed cars, aka virtually no traffic jams, and the streets would also be emptier given people work from their homes.

Okay this is slightly cool: When I was applying for colleges and scholarships, one thing I had to do was describe a project or research that I'd want to undertake a computer engineering major. I wrote about this exact concept (using that "spooky action" (see the article) to communicate information). I didn't get the scholarship, but it's good to know I wasn't completely off. :)

~Cris

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
crisdecuba said:
Okay this is slightly cool: When I was applying for colleges and scholarships, one thing I had to do was describe a project or research that I'd want to undertake a computer engineering major. I wrote about this exact concept (using that "spooky action" (see the article) to communicate information). I didn't get the scholarship, but it's good to know I wasn't completely off. :)

~Cris

what became of the project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom