• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Epic Game Store really going somewhere at this point?

jakinov

It's been so many years, and the store has barely improved in features. Their free games are getting weaker. There are less exclusive games being bought. The Trello roadmap seems to be abandoned. They just had their EGS sale, but this time there was no cupon. I believe it's the first time this has happened. And they are still ignore by many big publishers, unless Epic is throwing tons of money at them.

I'm having a hard time sending how this store will evolve from here.
They still have some of the most popular PC games on their platform. Users are growing and probably so is spend. They don't use Trello anymore or at least that public version of it. They announcement their roadmap at their events now.

e24qi8s3mttb1.png

RickSanchez

I hear you. Once you double click the icon for a game, it doesn't much matter where it came from. Especially single player games.

It's hard to figure how the "store warrior" mentality formed since the stores are just free apps that everyone can access, a bit different from the plastic box wars that set you back $400 or $500. Not that I'm against the people that like to keep their library on Steam, do whatever you like. If I can save $10 getting something on Epic that's what I'll do. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Exactly! I understand a preference for Steam because you would have everything in one place. But if i have to open a different store/launcher to launch a few games and in return i can save a non-trivial amount of money, then i will happily do it.

Steam has good consumer practices sure, but like Gaben says, the way to get customers on your side is to offer a better deal, and sometimes, Epic offers a better deal.

rm082e

And if you have a technical problem do you look at the EGS forums?

When I have had issues with games (any launcher), pcgamingwiki is my first stop to see if the issue is known. If there's nothing there, then I google. I've found solutions from reddit more than any other source.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It could have been good, but EGS started with shitty features and then somehow managed to develop features at an even more glacial pace than Valve does with Steam.

th4tguy

People should hope that it doesn't go anywhere.
If everyone is too reliant on a single platform and that platform fundamentally changes, you are forced to follow along or lose out.

Looking hard at the rumors of MS trying to buy out Valve....

Top Bottom