• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the GT4 Logitech wheel an accurate representation of racing?

I have always heard how awesome it is so I bought it, and while I like it, 2 of my friends say that it isn't realistic, and it makes it to hard, as well as as one of my friends said "It goes against me". Now I know next to nothing about cars, so I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to handle. Is there some options I should change to make it work better?

Is there some options I should change to make it work better?
I never used it, but I have played GT4 (actually I've been playing since the first game) and I'm pretty sure there are options and settings you can change to make it easier to use. Check the options menu.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't know man, 14 minutes playing on the 'Ring' with the Logitech wheel...then going to my car right after and driving around. I thought I was still using the Logitech wheel! It was crazy

Gek54

The wheel is not perfect but its progress, same as GT4 is progress. It gives you a feeling of the the road pushing against the front tires so it is suppose to push against you.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
No.

If you want to experience the next evolution in FF wheels, get the new *BRD FF wheel* coming out this July.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
i heard that gt4 doesn't support the 900º rotation on the logitec wheel, is that true?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's not even remotely like driving a real car, but it's more representative than a joystick.

Shinobi

Pedigree Chum said:
I would like GT4 if i could use the Xbox controller on it, XBox's triggers are so damn good for racers.

Agreed...using a wheel isn't pratical for me, so short of that the XBox pad is simply divine for racers. To Polyphony's credit GT4 works with a pad far better then GT3. Then again I am using the customizable Phoenix Revolution pad, which probably helps a bit.

Gek54

scola said:
i heard that gt4 doesn't support the 900º rotation on the logitec wheel, is that true?

Heard from where?

GAF got dumb real quick for some reason, wtf is going on?

WindyMan

It's the best wheel for playing GT4 right now, period. I believe the $150 I paid for the thing is well, well worth it.

The question is whether or not you can justify paying that much for a game accessory. If you can, you'll be glad you got it.

Zaptruder

Banned
The wheel is the key to unlocking at least 50% of GT4's potential as a driving sim. Even if that only lets you unlock 10% of what it's like to drive all those cars around all those tracks, you'll know it's well worth it by millions of dollars.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Using the steering wheel feels like every car has no power-steering. The realism is lost when you're struggling with the wheel, trying to make a shitty turn at 30MPH and you can't just roll it calmy with one hand like you would in real life. Steering force needs to be adjusted for every 10 miles you gain in speed in these games.

Enthusia suffers from this too. When your car is still, you can spin the wheel as freely as you wish. But as soon as you touch the gas, even just a teeny bit, the wheel gets harsh again. Obviously since the wheel gets loose when the car is idle in Enthusia, this is something developers can control. It's too late to do it now, because all of the top-tier racers have been released/completed. So I'd say the steering wheel is rather worthless.

miyuru

AlphaSnake said:
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Using the steering wheel feels like every car has no power-steering. The realism is lost when you're struggling with the wheel, trying to make a shitty turn at 30MPH and you can't just roll it calmy with one hand like you would in real life. Steering force needs to be adjusted for every 10 miles you gain in speed in these games.

Enthusia suffers from this too. When your car is still, you can spin the wheel as freely as you wish. But as soon as you touch the gas, even just a teeny bit, the wheel gets harsh again. Obviously since the wheel gets loose when the car is idle in Enthusia, this is something developers can control. It's too late to do it now, because all of the top-tier racers have been released/completed. So I'd say the steering wheel is rather worthless.

I don't have a PS2...but that's really surprising/disappointing to hear. It's funny with all these extremely simulation racers, that the devs can't get something so simple yet essential right. I love driving in real life, even in my dad's '98 Corolla ^_^ It's just so great to make turns as smooth as possible, etc.. Anyone feel the same way?

Zaptruder

Banned
You can change the resistance settings in GT4...

that said, GT4 is crap at extremes; if you're not travelling fast enough, or if you're slamming into walls all the time, then the game will jar you out of it's realistic aspect a lot, due to its limitations.

I'm not sure how smoothly you can turn anywheel when your thrashing your car around at top speeds though... and I'm not sure how much practical racing experience alphasnake has to be able to comment on something like that accurately.

Hajaz

the wheel itself is great. its the best wheel you can get for pc sims atm.

GT4 however isnt an accurate sim, wether using a ds2 or the dfp

Keio

For a Finer World
I'd say that achieving any accurate represantation of racing while sitting safe at home w/o g-forces is impossible.

That said, the wheel in any case brings more feedback to the player and thus makes it racing easier (more information about the state of the car) plus gives you a REALLY NICE ILLUSION. That is enough for me.

Top Bottom