• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Wii U gpu 176 gflops or 352 gigaflops.

TheMoon

55599569.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hey guys, remember that one developer who said that the Wii-U was going to be super duper powerful, sending the Wii-U speculation thread into maximum overdrive?

Those were some good times.

Sapiens

We need another five threads worth of wishful thinking speculation based on x rays scans of the processors.

Lol, I've come close to editing wikipedia once or twice, but had technical issues with my PC at the time. It's a 160:8:8 core config if anyone feels up to it. EDRAM bandwidth is something like ~30 GB/s.

kabel

It doesn't matter, 176 gflops or 352 gflops.
It's both pretty low.

Even smartphones are way more powerful. (Snapdragon 820 -> 588 gflops)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Lol, I've come close to editing wikipedia once or twice, but had technical issues with my PC at the time. It's a 160:8:8 core config if anyone feels up to it. EDRAM bandwidth is something like ~30 GB/s.
Huh? How did you get that eDRAM BW?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't matter, 176 gflops or 352 gflops.
It's both pretty low.

Even smartphones are way more powerful. (Snapdragon 820 -> 588 gflops)

Smartphones are bandwidth starved and throttle their speed due their limited power envelope. So flops =/= flops. :p

kabel

They're also way more expensive than a WII U...

That SoC costs like 40-50$.

Smartphones are bandwidth starved and throttle their speed due their limited power envelope. So flops =/= flops. :p

LPDDR4 has the same BW(dualchannel: 2x17Gb/s) than that 30Gb/s of the WiiU. Also they only overheat because smartphones are just a few millimetres thick, in a console case there would be no problems.

tkscz

Not really, they just have huge markups. Most flagships sit around the $220 mark to manufacture.

Architecture usually plays a larger roll than pure numbers. FLOPS are like the new BITS honestly. Just because something has more, doesn't mean it's better (not saying it isn't better for having more, but I think you get what I'm saying).

Top Bottom