• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Xbox One supposed to be so loud in standby?

Ein Bear

So, with the pricedrop/Titanfall bundle coming out, I picked up an Xbox One on Friday.

Have been having a lot of fun with it so far, but I can't help but be disappointed with how loud it is when the console is in standby mode. I keep my consoles in my bedroom, and despite my PS4/Wii U being literally silent whilst left in their standby modes, you can hear the Xbox One happily humming away all night.

I've been switching the console off entirely so I can sleep, but given how long the thing takes to turn on from 'energy saving mode', that's hardly ideal either.

Is it like that for everyone? I'm not entirely sure if it's just my console or not, seems strange that it's humming away when every other console is silent.

jmood88

Mine is on standby and I don't hear a sound. You might wanna call Microsoft and get a new one or see if there's some dust messing with the fans.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is it the power brick making the noise or the console? The power brick makes a VERY quiet fan sound on standby. If your system is hot on standby, cut the power to it, then restart and make it go sleepies. I had a buddy who complained about it and that set him right up. Still though, you mentioned you've been switching it off entirely. Dunno man.

Ein Bear

Is it the power brick making the noise or the console? The power brick makes a VERY quiet fan sound on standby. If your system is hot on standby, cut the power to it, then restart and make it go sleepies. I had a buddy who complained about it and that set him right up. Still though, you mentioned you've been switching it off entirely. Dunno man.

Huh, you're right, I just checked and it's the power brick that's making the noise, rather than the console itsef. So it's a normal noise for it to be making then?

angrygnat

I love white noise. I go as far as running an old humidifyer motor at night when I sleep. So this would be a dream for me. No pun intended.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, with the pricedrop/Titanfall bundle coming out, I picked up an Xbox One on Friday.

Have been having a lot of fun with it so far, but I can't help but be disappointed with how loud it is when the console is in standby mode. I keep my consoles in my bedroom, and despite my PS4/Wii U being literally silent whilst left in their standby modes, you can hear the Xbox One happily humming away all night.

I've been switching the console off entirely so I can sleep, but given how long the thing takes to turn on from 'energy saving mode', that's hardly ideal either.

Is it like that for everyone? I'm not entirely sure if it's just my console or not, seems strange that it's humming away when every other console is silent.

Mine is dead silent in standby. Do you have enough room around it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Power brick should be quiet. Contact MS.
Are you sure about that? I noticed this right away as well and have since tested a number of other Xbox One systems and ALL of them exhibit the same, subtle noise from the power supply. I have yet to find one that is silent in standby mode leading me to believe that it is normal. That's six different systems in which I have observed this behavior.

Definitely only occurs in standby.

Anon67

o_O I can never hear my xbox one unless I'm right next to it. You should probably call support or exchange it for a new box.

Kacho

Are you sure about that? I noticed this right away as well and have since tested a number of other Xbox One systems and ALL of them exhibit the same, subtle noise from the power supply. I have yet to find one that is silent in standby mode leading me to believe that it is normal. That's six different systems in which I have observed this behavior.

I mean, I'm pretty sure. I have it sitting on my computer desk behind the tv I use and I never hear it.

I can't hear mine when it's on standby. I had the same thing happen with a super slim PS3 - it was loud as fuck. Call MS OP, you deserve better.

MysteryM

Both my power brick and console are super silent. when turning it off i have to watch the front console light to see that its actually turned off as its impossible to judge if it has sound wise.

Ein Bear

Thanks for the replies guys! Sounds like it's worth getting in touch with Microsoft over then, will give them a ring this afternoon.

B3N1

Mine has some 'HDD ticking' every hour when in standby, also the PSU has some fan noise too, just enough so that I can't sleep while it's in instant-on.

Yeah, mine is dead silent and but I've heard the same story in other forums. I think they returned their systems in exchange for a replacement.

JaggedSac

I can tell you that I cannot hear mine unless I am putting my head inside my entertainment center. You might want to take all six of yours back.

This is pretty impossible.

Or your xbox is updating/downloading something or it is broken. In standby it makes no sounds whatsoever.

Mine makes a tiny bit of noise in standby. My PS4 fans stays on during standby as well. I hope both my consoles aren't FUBAR. I just may send both of them in before the warranty is up.

Is you controller plugged in? I know the 360 made a lot of noise even when it was off because it was charging the controller still.

Mine is silent on standby anyway, so if that's not it you might wanna give MS a call.

Mine makes what I'd call a 'low hum' in standby, but it's hardly noticeable. It's essentially silent. I'd say yours has an issue with cooling/the fans

Like others have said, my Day One unit and power brick is silent.

I keep it on standby with the only times it's been completely off is when the unit automatically updates.

I'm very sensitive to noises/buzzes and I haven't noticed anything coming from the brick or the console, and it is placed in a small room.

Sean

Banned
I've always been able to hear my power brick in standby mode, it's a low buzz/humming sorta similar to the sound like my DVR makes.

Definitely not loud, but noticable.

I can't hear the power brick but I can hear my xbox one when I sometimes leave a disc in the drive, it will spin it or warm it up especially if I turn the box on to use an app, must be checking the disc every so often.

My xbox one is in the same room as my pc which has a few fans in it, not loud but enough to drown out any smaller noises.

Top Bottom