• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a good version of Tetris on a console?

olimario

Banned
I decided to stop by a garage sale in my neighborhood today and I discovered Tetris for the NES. Being a huge GameBoy tetris fan, I decided to purchase it. I plopped down my 25 cents, went home, popped it in my NES, and was immediatly let down. There's no classic Tetris theme! On top of that the game doesn't handle correctly for tetris, the sound effects are annoying, and the cinematics are wang.

Is there a console tetris that matches the feel of the GameBoy one? That's tetris how it's meant to be. I suppose I could get a GameBoy player, but I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

ge-man

The offical NES Tetris was not good. I believe the Tengen one was quite faithful, however.

Other than that, I don't think I have heard of any Tetris games that have come out on consoles outside the NES that aren't variations of the original. Maybe some can correct me on this?

Ranger X

The Tetris version from "Tetris and Dr.Mario" on the SNES was great. If you can find this, it gives you the 2 good games and you can play them at the same time split screen (you play tetris and your friend Dr.Mario). You can of course go 2 player on one game.

sasimirobot

I have a friend who only plays Tetris. He swears that the original gameboy version is the best. Something about the gameboy color and the flicker he said sucked.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
olimario said:
I decided to stop by a garage sale in my neighborhood today and I discovered Tetris for the NES. Being a huge GameBoy tetris fan, I decided to purchase it. I plopped down my 25 cents, went home, popped it in my NES, and was immediatly let down. There's no classic Tetris theme!

unless you got the tengen one, are delusional (best bet) or think "off" means "classic theme," you are less than right.

Tengen Tetris = good. But good luck finding it.

The New Tetris for N64 is probably my most recent favorite. Plus you get Neil Voss Music to boot.

For not traditional tetris - Tetrisphere is the shit. It was only 30 bucks when it came out, and while its not the usual tetris game - it's well worth picking up.

Ferrio

Banned
sasimirobot said:
I have a friend who only plays Tetris. He swears that the original gameboy version is the best. Something about the gameboy color and the flicker he said sucked.

I think your friend is a genius!

Ecrofirt

Oli, I'm a huge Tetris fan. Sadly, I haven't been able to find anything that compares with the GameBoy Tetris as a regular Tetris game.

Tetrisphere is shitloads of fun, though.

Ecrofirt

Tetris Worlds does in fact blow.

The GBA version even has a bug that lets you go back up the screen if you're against a wall. WTS is that?

LakeEarth

olimario said:
I decided to stop by a garage sale in my neighborhood today and I discovered Tetris for the NES. Being a huge GameBoy tetris fan, I decided to purchase it. I plopped down my 25 cents, went home, popped it in my NES, and was immediatly let down. There's no classic Tetris theme! On top of that the game doesn't handle correctly for tetris, the sound effects are annoying, and the cinematics are wang.

Is there a console tetris that matches the feel of the GameBoy one? That's tetris how it's meant to be. I suppose I could get a GameBoy player, but I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

Are you sure you got the Nintendo version and not the Tengen one? If you got the Tengen one, trust me, it's an excellent find for a quarter.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Stick with the original GB Tetris. It's still by FAR the best "console" version. You could always find the old PC version, too. I mostly played Tetris on my phone (Palm OS5, so I can use Handmark's Tetris Classic, which is an excellent version of the original); it's really close to the original.

Gchaime

In what way is tetris for the GB different then tetris for the NES? Seriously, i played both versions (i'm very HARDCORE! indeed) and i never spotted any difference in the actual gameplay.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think people like the GB version better cause it's most likely the first time anyone has played Tetris, ever. The music, the sound effects, the graphics...they just bring nostalgia. I prefer the GB version just because of the music alone. And I still play it to this day, the Gameboy version only

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
scili.gif

GAF says: It's not as good as the Gameboy Original!!!

it's just tetris... I've never understood this level of preference. As long as it's got a classic mode and adjustable difficulty, I don't get what the big deal is. I don't cry cause the latest version of tetris doesn't have the still CGA images of Russia that the old PC version I first played had.

Suprised no one has mentioned Tetris Attack, even though it's really not a true Tetris varaint, but it's a damn fine game in itself...

Also, as for the classic Tetris song in the Game Boy version, most people don't realize it's actually an old Russsian folk song called Kobleski or something.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
"Original" Tetris is the first PC version, technically.

Otherwise for my concerns, Tengen Tetris > *tetris*. It has more Russian-like music, closer emulates the arcade board, and has co-op mode too. I just wish the graph-bar statistics didn't have a ceiling.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
FortNinety said:
Also, as for the classic Tetris song in the Game Boy version, most people don't realize it's actually an old Russian folk song called Kobleski or something.

I'd pay 30,000 Potchgult credits to anyone who can actually identify the proper name of the "old Russian folk song" that is in Game Boy Tetris. I've looked and looked and looked, but have never been able to track anything down.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Even without the music, I'd say that The New Tetris on N64 stands as the best console version of tetris ever made.

Related to that, Tetrisphere is one of the best Tetris offshoots ever, and is one of the few games other than Tetris to put me in that "zone".

edit: W00t I got my tag back! :D

Deku Tree

levious said:
scili.gif

GAF says: It's not as good as the Gameboy Original!!!

OMG SciLi @ brown! I was there just last week!

My favorite Tetris was the original gameboy tetris only b/c I played it to death, it was much better than the NES tetris. I haven't played many tetris games in recent times.

Ecrofirt

I was actually playing it when I made my post, and I'm still istening now. It's great

In fact, the reason I came to the thread again was to post about the Ozma song.

Kudie

shibbs said:
Tetrisphere is getting a lot of credit in here

Yeah, Tetrisphere for N64 is great.

Also, Tetris 2 on the NES is good, as well as Tetris Attack for the SNES, although I think the latter may not really count as Tetris-proper.

bjork

Magical Tetris Challenge for the N64 never really got any positive or negative press, but I thought it was damned fun with two players, and was well worth the $29 or whatever at the time.

+1 B&W Gameboy version

A couple of people were wondering what makes the different versions stand out
from eachother.. I'd have to say in most cases there was something off about
the responsiveness of the controls which really matters in tetris - you don't want
the movements to be "sticky," which they often are in most "let's make an easy
buck" tetris variants. The Nintendo GB version was just perfect in that regard :)

The only newer tetris I sorta enjoyed is Tetris Advance, which had some fun
modes.

Ecrofirt said:
It would help if you explained why, Striker >_<

It's classic tetris, with no super crazy gimmicks. There are a couple enhancements to make it better though.

A) If you make a 4x4 square with a random assortment of pieces it turns into a solid silver block. When you clear a line with part of the silver block you get 5 lines instead.

B) If you make a 4x4 square with four of the same piece it turns into a solid gold block. When you clear a line with part of the gold block you get 10 lines instead.

C) If you clear an entire silver or gold block at once you get the additional points for scoring a Tetirs, but the extra line added on acts like it has part of the silver/gold block. So a Tetris that clears a gold block nets you 50 lines (25 for silver).

D) The Shadow piece helps a lot.

E) You have a hold block that you can swith out at any time with the block currently falling (only once per falling block though). This allows for an entire new level of strategy.

F) 4-player multiplayer.

G) Neil Voss did the music (also did Tetrisphere's). It's fucking awesome.

Edit: H) The game also keeps track of your stats and gives you a ranking.

I) It's got a couple game play modes too. Marathon (normal tetris), a mode where you have to clear as many lines as possible in X amount of time, and a mode where you have to clear 300 (or was it 150?) lines as fast as possible.

J) It's kinda useless, but you can store your profile on a memory pak and take it to your friends house. Any lines you score will be stored on your memory pak and not his cart. You can then take the memory pak back to your house and dump the lines you earned onto your copy of the game. You would want to do this because after so many lines you unlock new wonders of the world, which grand new stages and NEW MUSIC to go with them, plus crappy N64 models of said wonders.

I made up lyrics to all of the original GB tetris songs. When I was really getting into a game, I would start unconsciously mumbling them, annoying the hell out of everybody around me.

Good times. Good times.

Bulletproof released some wonderful versions of Tetris for SNES in Europe (I believe). They included many variants of the original, but they also had great puzzle modes for Bombliss and Sparkliss, which were some very fun alternate modes.

I believe they released then as Super Tetris 1-3.

cleanup

Tetris Plus for the psone.Its a greatest hit game so it's only $2o.oo.There is two games classic and a great tetris puzzle game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
What we need is a GOOD new release of Tetris, featuring:

1) The Game Boy music, redone.

2) The "hold" option.

3) Points. (One of my few gripes with The New Tetris is the lack of scoring by points... just line totals. This comes into play only because standard Tetris, if I recall correctly, rewards you with more points depending upon how quickly you drop pieces).

4) Four player battles with directed garbage. Heh heh heh.

I still find it amazing that THQ managed to mess up Tetris.

FightyF

Banned
TNT doesn't sound too much different than the Xbox one.

The Xbox one has the benefit of Custom Soundtrack!

I thought the Xbox one was pretty average...it's fun because it's Tetris...but there's not much that draws me to the game besides that.

You'd think there'd be the ultimate Tetris game...with hundreds of different modes and such. Even modes with new block peices. It's not that hard or complicated of a game to program!

Top Bottom