• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a more boring enviroment than sewers?

Relativ9

At least offices have some furniture and objects to blast. FEAR was pretty good with this so at least it looked good. Sewers have nothing in them, they are empty tunnels.

True but they're usually very lacking in atmosphere and a "lived-in" belivebility, at least most sewers in games are relatively true to life and provide the opportunity for dense foggy atmospheres, echoy sound design, trickling water, ect ect.

Maybe you’re not an office worker, but I find it cathartic

I used to be, but currently freelance from home :)
I just don't think most games get offices right, which is amazing since they're usually made by people in an office. Idk, I've never seen office desks as clean and dis-personal as they are depicted in most games, and especially when someone has a private office, there is no way that would be just gray walls with some spreadsheets pinned to a board, a generic phone and a single monitor on the corner with the keyboard perfectly centered.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Underrated post. No area is inherently boring.
Nah. Sewers are inherently boring. Not much a designer can do other than create interesting scenarios in that environment. But the environment itself will always be boring tunnels with the same bricks all over because that's how sewers are supposed to be.
No idea why Capcom decided to expand the sewers area on RE 2 remake & RE 3 remake when they were very short areas on the original games.
I bet it's because they are easier to make. The very nice police station probably used all their creative (and monetary?) budget. It's too bad they did this with RE3 though, knowing how short the game is.

Oddspeak

Honestly, its punctuated sewer section is why I prefer RE3make's pacing over RE2make's. Leaving the RPD in 2 and heading into the sewers is like stomping on the brakes, while leaving the city to head into the sewers in 3 is like a momentary yield.

That said, I also hate underwater levels and obligatory dark, dingy poison swamps in Souls-likes.

odhin

Couldn't replay RE2 Remake with the other character because i had to go through these long, boring, tunnels of bricks again.

...And thats why the sewer level in RE3R was like 5 minutes long. See, they got you covered :)
(Too bad the rest of the levels weren't that much longer either but ah, thats beside the point)

Last edited:
I love any environment that's well designed and intriguing looking.

Plus, why wouldn't I like sewer levels when they can give me a sense of escape more than levels on the surface of the world?

Atrus

Gold Member
Vents.

Not only is it an extremely limiting design, very few vents are even large enough in real life for people to travel through yet vents are found in plenty of games.

nkarafo

Vents.

Not only is it an extremely limiting design, very few vents are even large enough in real life for people to travel through yet vents are found in plenty of games.
The thing about vents is that they are just a small part of the environment while sewers is the environment.

Plus, i don't think you get through vents for more than a couple of minutes at worst.

TheMan

You know what I hate more than sewers? Fucking dreams and or drugged protagonist levels. They turn any environment into straight up bullshit every time

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. Sewers are inherently boring. Not much a designer can do other than create interesting scenarios in that environment. But the environment itself will always be boring tunnels with the same bricks all over because that's how sewers are supposed to be.
No, the person you quoted is right. Here are examples of better looking video game sewers:

orig_633e5bfdfd61e99a3569be2b0af8985e.jpg

b94d228aeec50f6a474c7e73426f651f.jpg

a5sewer.png

maxresdefault.jpg

artworks-000353073570-izfxeo-t500x500.jpg

Demolition_Drain-Pipe_Bonus_Area_1.png

kof99_sewer-2a66255242c81b457af48f7101e1131a.gif

I'm sorry if the games you've been playing lately have the same gray brick walls with nothing special about them.

nkarafo

No, the person you quoted is right. Here are examples of better looking video game sewers:

orig_633e5bfdfd61e99a3569be2b0af8985e.jpg

b94d228aeec50f6a474c7e73426f651f.jpg

a5sewer.png

maxresdefault.jpg

artworks-000353073570-izfxeo-t500x500.jpg

Demolition_Drain-Pipe_Bonus_Area_1.png

kof99_sewer-2a66255242c81b457af48f7101e1131a.gif

I'm sorry if the games you've been playing lately have the same gray brick walls with nothing special about them.
Mario, Metroid and Crash examples aren't really supposed to be sewers, they are kinda themed that way. These are mostly just underground levels.

The tmnt sewer level is probably the worst one in the game. Not much to see at all, that's maybe why it's a fast autoscroller one.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

With sewers it's hard to come up with an interesting layout other than long tunnels / labyrinths, but the sewer levels can still be fun. In stealth games they can be good for playing with enemies, in action/horror games they can include some intense fights with limited space for movement.

GymWolf

Standard military base or generic streets alley are what comes to mind.

Onestly? You can make every type of location boring, it is not a sewers exclusive.

Top Bottom