• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a more boring enviroment than sewers?

Docks, Harbours and Container ports are some of the most boring locations I experience in games.

They usually comprise of nothing but shipping containers, barrels, cranes and warehouses.

Also levels set on container ships or aircraft carriers are just as bad.

Fallout 3 subway sections where miles and miles of an underground maze. Add the ingame map, and I was lost down there for hours!

Desert levels. They're all brown, boring, empty and endless.
Nier Automata sends its regards (even though the scenarios in the game are the low end of its entirety. Seriously, all level design of Yoko Taro's work is subpar compared to other games. But the storytelling is superb.)

-YFC-

It sucks but I kinda got used to it. But why does every game has to have a sewer level is beyond me. It's like in older games, every game had to have an underwater level that the majority of players hated.
I guess the new trend is the sewers.

Guilty_AI

Forests in open worlds are worse. Its not that they're boring by default, its just that they tend to be used as empty space filler by a lot of developers.

As for sewers, i don't see them all that often, but it could be due to a mix of being easy on the hardware and being a scenario we often see in movies.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Protesting this thread with this awesome picture of the well in Ocarina of Time
020.jpg

SinDelta

I think some sewer levels have pretty nifty design, artwork wise. Diablo 3 for instance.

For all of its flaws, Diablo 3 has a very interesting if cartoony artstyle, even in the sewers. Very much would have liked to see a Diablo with the scrapped concept art still. That would have been insane.

Now the Garamsythe Waterway in Final Fantasy 12? Nope.

Dark Souls has the Depths where blobs fall from the ceiling or you can fall into certain spots and get cursed. Freaky stuff-if you don't know what to expect going in.

Blighttown. Everything about it. It is like a super sewer to end all sewers.

Those can all burn.

Ironically I have had better experience with swamps.

Witcher 1 swamp had that nifty tower, and a sick metal boss fight, though that was a long time ago.

Farron Keep in Dark Souls 3 sucks, but it also has tons of loot.

Last edited:

Aranea

I was about to comment about RE 2 remake but you already mentioned that. No idea why Capcom decided to expand the sewers area on RE 2 remake & RE 3 remake when they were very short areas on the original games. I do find sewers areas boring.

Aion002

Sewers are indeed boring and limited... I also hate forests.

They're boring and a mess for me....

I like hills and plains... Probably a reason that I love Death Stranding, I like to see things from distance.

SleepDoctor

Banned
For me its always been water levels or anything to do with it. For example even when i just had to swim down for an item in the witcher 3 i hated it lol. Idk why but i can't stand it

TNT Sheep

Protesting this thread with this awesome picture of the well in Ocarina of Time
020.jpg

If this counts as a sewer, it is probably one of the better ones. To me this always felt more like a water prison. Nicely contained area though, and mostly optional in reruns. This dungeon and the shadow temple spooked me good as a child. I still prefer the blood atmosphere of the original though.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Three things surpass all others in badness: the bloody nightmare in Max Payne 1, Green Hill Zone in Sonic, and that Beehive from Halo 2.

Holgren

Sewers: Vampire: The Masquerade comes to mind.
Ports: The Island in RE4 and Ricco Harbor are the worst parts of each game.

Woggleman

The Last of us is the only one who really made a sewer level work. It had a whole story of a doomed community down there.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Pretty good in half life Alyx when you get the flashlight for the first time. Never has a game has such a good flashlight mechanic IMO.

Ballthyrm

The Sky or the Sea. Huge Empty and devoid of any variation for performance reasons.

There is very very few games that have decent skies and they are all Flight simulators.
Even then most of these are boring.

The Sea used to be like that too but there have been some effort in recent years like Sea of thieves and Black Flag.

Last edited:

Fbh

This threads just reminds me of Lords of Shadows 2.

First one had a nice looking and varied world, then in the sequel you spend most of the game in modern times going through empty streets, empty parking lots and empty generic industrial settings.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I don't like sand areas. I dunno why but it makes me feel bored instantly. Act 2 of Diablo is the worst chore for me.

Top Bottom