• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a setting for the Xbox Series X so that I can choose where to download the game each time?

Blade2.0

I got an external hard drive to put all of the old games on and keep my internal SSD just for series X enabled games. Problem is, however, that from what I can see, I can only make one HDD the default at a time. So I either have to change that setting every time I install a new game or I'll have to choose one HDD as default and then move the files to the other hard drive every time I download something. It's a shitty thing to me and not intuitive at all. Let me have a setting that is "ask where to install each time" so I can then choose either the external or internal SSD depending on the game I'm downloading.

Am I missing something and there is a setting for this or is this another "streamlined" setting that makes what I want more difficult instead of actually easier?

Blade2.0

I believe that if you set an external drive default it will still download Series X/S games to the internal drive
Cool. Wish it would tell you that. I know you can store series x games on the HDD but must move it to the SSD to play it. So I thought it would still install it to the external.

Unfortunatly no. This is 1 or my 2 gripes with the OS (the other being switching between game and dash... and HDR flicking off, as it makes my TV go funny for 2 seconds).

I've set my external HDD to default as most gamepass games are currently last gen (or mostly what I've been downloading) but when I download a next gen title I have to either change default setting to internal or download to external and then manually move to internal.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
not ideal but best option is to install on the SSD then just move it when done. I never had to much installed but my brother would often have stuff transfer over over night.

Banned
set the external drive as default! this will result in external drive compatible games (og Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One SX Enhanced) installing onto that automatically.
and every time you want to install a game that needs to run on SSD the system will ask you up-front if you want to continue to install it externally or if you want to install it internally.

of course if you want a game that does not need the SSD on the internal storage then you would have to change the install path before or move it over after downloading. I agree that they should implement an option that lets you chose every time.

Last edited:
Always set external as default , whenever u will be installing an x enhanced game it will always ask u it will only work on main drive and u can press yes to install it on main drive

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Unfortunatly no. This is 1 or my 2 gripes with the OS (the other being switching between game and dash... and HDR flicking off, as it makes my TV go funny for 2 seconds).

I've set my external HDD to default as most gamepass games are currently last gen (or mostly what I've been downloading) but when I download a next gen title I have to either change default setting to internal or download to external and then manually move to internal.
Don’t know how that’s happening. For me, like the post above, it tells me if it’s a Series X game and that to benefit to install it to the SSD. Has done that every time.

Or you mean you want it to happen automatically without the prompt or the prompt doesn’t come up for you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom