• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there an argument that Tom Cruise is the GOAT action actor

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
tom-cruise-joins-instagram.jpg
when people hear this question, they quickly jump to the legends of the 80s like Bruce Willis, Stallone, Arnold

but i feel like an argument for Tom can be made for the simple fact he does all his stunts. He flys helicopters, planes. did the first HALO jump ever as an actor..EVERYTHING

Vlightray

He is great no doubt. But I dunno how he does it but he can come off as cocky or arrogant sometimes. But he is a great actor and professional for sure.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is why he is a GOAT. Especially with freeclimbing scenes in past films were all him. The man is a machine.

That video cracked me up, so good!

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
He is definitely a front runner for the Jackie Chan Ironman award. To do real stunts for as long as he has should be recognized. He isn't the greatest actor in the world but most of his films are passable popcorn flicks at least.

B_Signal

He's not a particularly great actor, although he has given some really good performances (Magnolia for one), but his sci-fi action stuff has been pretty good for the most part. He's certainly got a knack for picking films

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One of the greats no doubt. Too bad he's fucking bonkers. That doesn't make him any worse of an actor, but it does make it a bit harder to like him.

DKehoe

He is definitely a front runner for the Jackie Chan Ironman award. To do real stunts for as long as he has should be recognized. He isn't the greatest actor in the world but most of his films are passable popcorn flicks at least.

When I first thought about this I did think Cruise would be a good choice. But now you mention him I think I’d have to go with Jackie Chan.

He's not a particularly great actor, although he has given some really good performances (Magnolia for one), but his sci-fi action stuff has been pretty good for the most part. He's certainly got a knack for picking films

He was pretty amazing in Born on the 4th of July. It's only his second lead actor nom other than Jerry Maguire but the level of his performance in both of them are leagues apart. Personally I don't think Jerry Maguire stands out that much.

But born on the 4th was really something else. He had no chance of winning though against DDL and Robin Williams for Dead Poets Society.

kunonabi

Jackie Chan is still number 1. Jackie was in his prime in an era and region where he could do lots of insane things purely because he wanted to. Cruise can certainly make an argument for no 2 though.

B_Signal

He was pretty amazing in Born on the 4th of July. It's only his second lead actor nom other than Jerry Maguire but the level of his performance in both of them are leagues apart. Personally I don't think Jerry Maguire stands out that much.

But born on the 4th was really something else. He had no chance of winning though against DDL and Robin Williams for Dead Poets Society.

yeah. In some ways, while his recent films are generally good, he does kind of get away with playing the same character over and over. When he wants to be he's a much better actor than people give him credit for

yeah. In some ways, while his recent films are generally good, he does kind of get away with playing the same character over and over. When he wants to be he's a much better actor than people give him credit for

American Made seemed kinda different. Have any of you guys seen it or was it any good? It was the film that came out last year where he was the pilot that turned into a drug smuggler. Lately it does seem like he plays the same action hero though.

You know and I'll say that Rain Man is probably another of his top performances as well.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
He is a great actor, but his involvement in that cult will always taint my view of him.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
One of the greats no doubt. Too bad he's fucking bonkers. That doesn't make him any worse of an actor, but it does make it a bit harder to like him.

At least Tom Cruise isn't a political agitator/asshole like so many others in Hollywood (unless I've missed something). One of the most 'cringe' & off-putting moments in an actor's off-screen public relations is when they jump aboard some sort of political agenda/pandering (usually to extremists within that party) & spout bullshit whilst labelling millions of people as 'bad'... which is somewhat fcking stupid in an industry in which getting asses in the theatre is the bottom line - no matter their personal views or whatnot.

Scientology might not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least (also, as far as I'm aware) none of its practitioners have killed in its name yet either (contrary to political ideologies & other more mainstream religions). As for Tom Cruise 'the actor', he's been on his A game for a decade now. His films might not always be hugely successful, but he works his ass off & tries to make real entertainment (I personally recommend American Made, i.e. a great movie).

brap

Banned
lmao no. Are you forgetting about arnie, van damme, lundgren, and stallone? Tom Cruise is boring. Shit even Nic Cage is better.

He is now yeah, and probably only Jackie Chan before him has been on the same level.

It’s a level and standard which should stick too IMO. If you are the big action movie guy who is getting paid a fortune, you should be doing your own stunts and raising the bar.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
At least Tom Cruise isn't a political agitator/asshole like so many others in Hollywood (unless I've missed something). One of the most 'cringe' & off-putting moments in an actor's off-screen public relations is when they jump aboard some sort of political agenda/pandering (usually to extremists within that party) & spout bullshit whilst labelling millions of people as 'bad'... which is somewhat fcking stupid in an industry in which getting asses in the theatre is the bottom line - no matter their personal views or whatnot.

Scientology might not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least (also, as far as I'm aware) none of its practitioners have killed in its name yet either (contrary to political ideologies & other more mainstream religions). As for Tom Cruise 'the actor', he's been on his A game for a decade now. His films might not always be hugely successful, but he works his ass off & tries to make real entertainment (I personally recommend American Made, i.e. a great movie).

Maybe not killed, but they do other absolutely atrocious shit like the sect they are.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think he is seriously underated as an action star.
I don’t know what drives him to do all that but wow.

He can also run like Forrest Gump

Also while not the greatest actor ever
He was great in rain man (Hoffman blew him away)

Also if Tom Cruise goes rogue we have Keanu to stop him.

Actually a mock death battle between them would be a great film

KevinKeene

Banned
I think he is seriously underated as an action star.
I don’t know what drives him to do all that but wow.

He can also run like Forrest Gump

Also while not the greatest actor ever
He was great in rain man (Hoffman blew him away)

Also if Tom Cruise goes rogue we have Keanu to stop him.

Actually a mock death battle between them would be a great film

Ok, now I want a movie where Tom and Keanu are enemies and the whole 2 hours are about them clashing in various badass ways.

Fox Mulder

All time still has to go to Stallone or Arnold just for their iconic stuff. Cruise is great, but I don't see his long career of stuff held up on an action film Mount Rushmore like some others.

He's one of the greats, sure. If you like his acting and screen presence, he makes any film instantly more entertaining/watchable. I'd say most people like the cruise. Box office numbers tell the story.

Come to think of it...I don't think I've EVER seen a bad Cruise film.....

Last edited:

recma12

All time still has to go to Stallone or Arnold just for their iconic stuff. Cruise is great, but I don't see his long career of stuff held up on an action film Mount Rushmore like some others.

No offense to the "big two" but Arnie & Sly always have played generic grunt roles.
They clearly helped to establish iconic movie IPs like Balboa, Rambo, Terminator etc. but all their grounded, realistic movies suck.
That said....

Come to think of it...I don't think I've EVER seen a bad Cruise film.....

This.
Tom Cruise is his own Balboa or T800. Just give him a backstory, a mission, a gun and you're guaranteed a decent to good movie.
OTH I would never watch films like Collateral, M:I, Jack Reacher or Top Gun starring Sly or Arnie.

No idea if Cruise is the G.O.A.T, but he's in the conversation.

ilfait

No offense to the "big two" but Arnie & Sly always have played generic grunt roles.
They clearly helped to establish iconic movie IPs like Balboa, Rambo, Terminator etc. but all their grounded, realistic movies suck.
That said....

This.
Tom Cruise is his own Balboa or T800. Just give him a backstory, a mission, a gun and you're guaranteed a decent to good movie.
OTH I would never watch films like Collateral, M:I, Jack Reacher or Top Gun starring Sly or Arnie.

No idea if Cruise is the G.O.A.T, but he's in the conversation.
Heh Arnold in Top Gun.

You're wrong about Stallone though. Watch Copland, the first Rocky, and First Blood. He's a very underrated actor.

JCK75

Well... MI 2.... Although I did see it recently and didn't find it too bad. Didn't take it seriously and laughed my ass off.

I don't think it's a bad movie, it just went in a cheesier direction than we are used to in the series, but as an action movie it's still quite entertaining.

pr0cs

He has made some of the most enjoyable movies of all time. Yeah maybe not pretentious Oscar bait but movies that people love to watch, many of them timeless.
Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
Top Gun
Risky business
MI series
Collateral
Rain Man
Few good men
Minority report

All timeless classics, so many of which are movies than people of any age can enjoy.
Maybe still not greatest action movie star but easily one of the most consistent actors in the history of Hollywood. Cruise knows how to pick his films

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Maybe still not greatest action movie star but easily one of the most consistent actors in the history of Hollywood. Cruise knows how to pick his films
This article paints a picture of a guy who kind of will morph a film to fit the "Tom Cruise" genre when he's involved. Like he knows what kind of projects he wants to be involved in and are good for his brand. I think that's a pretty damn fine accomplishment that you've established yourself as such a strong action star that you can literally say "if you want me, here's how I need to be portrayed in your movie" and people will actually bend the knee.

Maybe not the best way to be collaborative, but I'd say there's probably a reason he's been so consistent.

Takuan

Tom's body of work shits on Willis' and Arnie's. I ride or die for The Cruise Missile (when it comes to movies).

KonradLaw

Yep. He's the best. There are those who can physically do better action scenes. Plenty of asian dudes, Scott Adkins. etc. But Cruise is sitting on the top alone because he's the total package. Not only he's willing and able to do the kickass action scenes himself, but he's also genuinelly good actor and what's more, he has insane on screen charisma. Add this to the fact that he is huge star as a whole, big enough to be able to practive this action star insanity with movies of huge budgets and yeah, he;s the greatest action star of all time.

Some action stars can claim some of those things, but none of them can claim them all.

Last edited:

jadedm17

Jackie Chan is my vote but I'd put Cruise in the top 5 or so.

Jackie Chan does his own stunts, learned another language and built a whole family of paid stunt people; The guy is a legend to me.

Top Bottom