• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any chance the Dragon Quest PS/PS2 be released in the US?

ronito

I'm seriously jonesin' for some new Dragon Quest action. Is there any chance the IV PS remake or the V PS2 remake being released in the US? I don't know how much DQVIII sold in the US but I'd pick up either in an instant.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Probably not. You'll have to make do with the, also awesome, spin-offs until DQIX arrives. DQV still has a small chance though... maybe.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I think after FFXII and VP2, Square-Enix will sort of be closing their doors on this generation.
except wii lol

BooJoh

The reason for not getting DQ4 on PSX in English, as I understand it is this: There was an entire translation staff ready for DQ4 and Enix was on board to release it in the US when Heartbeat, the programmers of the remake, closed down. It was decided that it would be impossible for the English text to be inserted into the game without Heartbeat, and thus the localization was cancelled.

MrDaravon

BooJoh said:
The reason for not getting DQ4 on PSX in English, as I understand it is this: There was an entire translation staff ready for DQ4 and Enix was on board to release it in the US when Heartbeat, the programmers of the remake, closed down. It was decided that it would be impossible for the English text to be inserted into the game without Heartbeat, and thus the localization was cancelled.

That's how I understand it. Obiviously with 4 being a PS1 game, there's literally no chance of it hitting here, unless they do some kind of combo pack with V, and I realllly don't think that'll happen. There's a slight chance of V coming out here, but I doubt it at this point.

SailorDaravon said:
Obiviously with 4 being a PS1 game, there's literally no chance of it hitting here, unless they do some kind of combo pack with V, and I realllly don't think that'll happen.

Yeah, I'm almost positive that Sony has a standing policy against PSone/PS2 combo packs -- IIRC Working Designs tried to do this with Growlanser Generations and were shot down.

Greenpanda said:
Yeah, I'm almost positive that Sony has a standing policy against PSone/PS2 combo packs -- IIRC Working Designs tried to do this with Growlanser Generations and were shot down.

Is that why we didn't get Growlanser 1? Damn Sony for their stupid restrictive policies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm betting there is a small chance of a PSP port, but I would not count on it. The chances of a PSX release at this point is zero, and a PSX release on a PS2 disc, not much better.

The only chance of seeing a PS2 version would be some compilation pack, just like they did with the FF series on Playstation 1.

Balzac

ShockingAlberto said:
Unless I'm forgetting something, I think after FFXII and VP2, Square-Enix will sort of be closing their doors on this generation.
except wii lol

Just a shot in the dark, but would it be possible for another American publisher like XSeed to pick up the localization?

What you said may be true, but does it apply Square-Enix's localization staff? They would be pretty foolish to not milk the PS2 market at least 1-2 more years considering the userbase transition from PS2->PS3 will be just as slow (if not slower) than the transition from PS1->PS2. If I remember correctly, FF Origins was a 2003 title, so there is definately a market.

BooJoh

I would place my money on the chances for DS ports of IV-VI if anything. You think DS Lite is popular in Japan now? Just imagine if they ported those games to it.

Johnas

BooJoh said:
I would place my money on the chances for DS ports of IV-VI if anything. You think DS Lite is popular in Japan now? Just imagine if they ported those games to it.

That would be pretty cool. I'd settled for a DSed version of those games just to actually have them in English (I own the NA version of IV, but I'd like to play the remake).

The thing is, would they come to America? Maybe so, since those spinoff games are headed our way.

BooJoh

Ancestor said:
The thing is, would they come to America? Maybe so, since those spinoff games are headed our way.
With the newly-kindled interest in DQ after DQ8 came out here, I don't see why they wouldn't want to capitalize on its popularity by localizing remakes if they made them.

citan

ShockingAlberto said:
except wii lol

Aren't you forgetting Dawn of Mana and FFVII Dirge of Cereberus?

citan said:
Aren't you forgetting Dawn of Mana and FFVII Dirge of Cereberus?
SE closing the doors on this gen? Not so much. PlayStation 2 is still, for the forseeable future, the platform of choice. Huge install base. Future of Japanese console market up in air. They'll release quite a few more games on PS2 before they're done.

Bebpo

Banned
It's pretty ridiculous that DQVr still hasn't been announced for the US.

A. It's a better game than DQVIII (A vs. B+ IMO)
B. DQVIII SOLD WELL IN THE WEST
C. There's really not that much text so it should be a cheap and easy localization (no voice!)

When you put A + B + C together you get MASS PROFIT & HAPPY GAMERS

I just don't get it...

Gruco

Banned
Bebpo said:
It's pretty ridiculous that DQVr still hasn't been announced for the US.

A. It's a better game than DQVIII (A vs. B+ IMO)
Is the remake a lot better than the original or something?

Also, still bitter about the DQ4 promo in the DQ7 instructions....taunting us all, to this very day.

Bebpo said:
I just don't get it...

Me neither.

They might be waiting to put DQ8 down to 20 to get a few more thousand fans or whatever, and then the announcement of that coming over here could become a bigger deal.

Honestly, though, S-E is booked this fall. If there's any chance, it'll be later.

Bebpo

Banned
Gruco said:
Is the remake a lot better than the original or something?

Also, still bitter about the DQ4 promo in the DQ7 instructions....taunting us all, to this very day.

I never played the original, but DQVr has insanely fast awesome battles with zero loading, one of the best game soundtracks ever, a great endearing story, and really nice simple visuals (with awesome battle graphics).

Red Scarlet

Tsubasa no Tenshi said:
At any rate if we're lucky we'll get the Snes versions of 4 and 5 translated on the Virtual consoul for Wii if nothing else.

4 was released on the Famicom/NES.

They're really fun, I feel bad for those that aren't able to play it.

The remake of 5 imo is better, largely in part to 4 party members instead of 3. With so many potential party members, 3 just doesn't give a lot of variety.

The End

Greenpanda said:

If Vic is around, he can correct me, but the issue isn't with including PS1 games in a PS2 pack (see Tekken 5), it's with charging a premium for it.

So, basically, if WD wanted to go through the trouble to localize Growlanser 1 and still charge $50 for the 3-pack, great, but they weren't going to get approved for some magical $70 price point because of it.

Red Scarlet

Of DQ5? Or 4? I could make videos of either/both..

Supposedly jett may still want a series of videos for Chapter 5 when I go through DQ4r again later on, and other people requested various parts of the game.

Pellham

Banned
Yeah 5 is a great game, never played the remake but I totally would if I had time to play it.

Too bad S-E sucks too much to bring it out here.

john tv

Bebpo said:
C. There's really not that much text
Whaa? Which DQV did you play? :) Granted, not having voice certainly trims the budget down, but that game still has a -tremendous- amount of text to be translated, edited, QA-tested, etc. etc. It's definitely not cheap...

Cheerilee

BooJoh said:
The reason for not getting DQ4 on PSX in English, as I understand it is this: The translation was complete. Enix of America was ready and eager for DQ4 and Enix of Japan was willing to let them release it in the US when Heartbeat, the programmers of the remake, closed down. Enix of Japan decided that it would be impossible for the English text to be inserted into the game without Heartbeat, and thus the localization was cancelled.

In a completely unrelated story, Enix of Japan was extremely dissappointed that DQVII wasn't the greatest selling PlayStation game of all time in America, as it was in Japan. Enix of America said it was solid, and more importantly it was a required first step in rebuilding a brand which had been ignored and abused in this country for an entire console generation.

In another completely unrelated story, Enix merged with Square, and decided that the couple of executives who had made up "Square" within the former Square/EA were not only worth more than the entirety of Enix of America, but that it wasn't even worth merging the two groups. So rather than moving a couple of newly-homeless executives to Seattle, they shut down Enix of America (for the second time), asked Square to rebuild Square of America (technically named Square/Enix, because of the merger), and then asked Square to pretty please release their games in America. But they must sell as well as Final Fantasy games, or Square/Enix of America won't be allowed to touch any future Enix titles, despite what the name on their stationary says.

Fixed.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I could see S-E releasing DQVr after they get their last few PS2 releases out (FFXII, VP2, etc)... and releasing at a $20 or $30 price point, kind of like how they did with FF Origins last gen (the last good PS1 game).

jarrod

Banned
djtiesto said:
I could see S-E releasing DQVr after they get their last few PS2 releases out (FFXII, VP2, etc)... and releasing at a $20 or $30 price point, kind of like how they did with FF Origins last gen (the last good PS1 game).
It'll need to be bundled with DQVIr though. ;)

Top Bottom