• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any need for Nintendo to stop being Nintendo?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Let them do their own thing. We don’t need a third identical console, but with questionable third party support and online services, and I think the mass market would agree.

Nintendo rediscovering their role as the wacky, fun toy maker for everyone, was the best thing that ever happened to them, in sales and output.

It’s telling that every time Nintendo moves away from that, they struggle.

Rat Rage

Nintendo is lucky to happen to have the best videogame developers (their own EAD devisions) the industry has. They are the soul of Nintendo.

These people have always carried Nintendo. The company itself is a bit unique: They are both, stubborn, stupid, competent, incompetent and genius at the same time - so basically everything, but boring.

I'd say, they should MOSTLY stay how they are, but definitely take into consideration all their past mistakes when moving forward.

Last edited:
Nope. Their fans would buy their stuff even though it is literally dog shit in a box.
FTFY 😹
/s

We’ll see how long they can get by being a hardware manufacturer. Despite Switch’s success, it needs to be taken into context that Nintendo has only one viable platform anymore (100m Wii and 150m DS units are not going to be replaced) and it is still a secondary device for major game publishers, meaning they are getting the crumbs overall.

I imagine Nintendo will look at platform agnosticism at some point but they have a very healthy niche for the time being (and they owe some credit to Sony for ceding the battlefield). Their greatest concern over the next 10 years - given their trajectory - is going to be mobile and cloud gaming. They need to be extremely judicious about their future platform decisions.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Why does video games have to be about cutting edge? I'm no Nintendo "fanboy", but if they keep making fun games, I'll keep buying/playing them. It doesn't have to be revolutionary, state of the art or anything like that. It just have to be fun. I still enjoy throwing pine cones at people.

kiphalfton

What they're doing is somewhat selfish, having subpar hardware and not willing to budge on it, since it indirectly affects Sony's and Microsoft's consoles. When devs consider making a game, they male it so that it runs on each console. Take into account Nintendo's weak console, and there are sacrifices made in the graphics department. Granted not all devs do this, but look at stuff like Japanese games, and they still look like Xbox 360 games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What they're doing is somewhat selfish, having subpar hardware and not willing to budge on it, since it indirectly affects Sony's and Microsoft's consoles. When devs consider making a game, they male it so that it runs on each console. Take into account Nintendo's weak console, and there are sacrifices made in the graphics department. Granted not all devs do this, but look at stuff like Japanese games, and they still look like Xbox 360 games.
To me cutting edge graphics doesn't make the game any better in fact most my favourite games this gen weren't technical marvel in graphics department but tons of fun to play.

kiphalfton

To me cutting edge graphics doesn't make the game any better in fact most my favourite games this gen weren't technical marvel in graphics department but tons of fun to play.

Having good graphics and being fun don't need to be mutually exclusive. Yeah I understand that more resources go toward making a game graphically impressive, but there's something wrong when most switch games look like up-res'd versions of gamecube games. I mean look what they did with some of the Dophin emulated games. Same game, just higher resolution. I mean ffs windwaker almost looks better than windwaker HD (yeah that's a wii u game, but I would say there's a negligible difference between wii u and switch, graphics wise).

Danjin44

Having good graphics and being fun don't need to be mutually exclusive. Yeah I understand that more resources go toward making a game graphically impressive, but there's something wrong when most switch games look like up-res'd versions of gamecube games. I mean look what they did with some of the Dophin emulated games. Same game, just higher resolution. I mean ffs windwaker almost looks better than windwaker HD (yeah that's a wii u game, but I would say there's a negligible difference between wii u and switch, graphics wise).
To me number one thing make good visuals to have great art direction and fun gameplay I couldn't care less about having most expensive and technical impressive graphics. I was able to enjoy Fire Emblem Three Houses and NieR Automata even tho their graphics weren't really impressive, mean while with Horizon Zero Dawn its great graphics didn't help me enjoy the actual game itself.

Like I said I don't care, if I was all obsessive about having most impressive graphics in my games then I would have bough gaming PC by now.

kiphalfton

To me number one thing make good visuals to have great art direction and fun gameplay I couldn't care less about having most expensive and technical impressive graphics. I was able to enjoy Fire Emblem Three Houses and NieR Automata even tho their graphics weren't really impressive, mean while with Horizon Zero Dawn its great graphics didn't help me enjoy the actual game itself.

Like I said I don't care, if I was all obsessive about having most impressive graphics in my games then I would have bough gaming PC by now.

Although I haven't played it, from what I've seen Kingdom Hearts III is a good example of moving forward graphically while retaining the same atmosphere of the older games on PS2. There's a distinct difference. I don't ever expect photo realistic games on Nintendo hardware, such as HZD (which uses a realistic art style). I will still play Nintendo games, but it still pains me when we still don't have stuff like the following on nintendo consoles.

And each of these are trailers from like 7 years ago. Tell me there's not something wrong with not being able to achieve that graphical fidelity that many years later.

FeldMonster

Need? No. Clearly they are succesful with their strategy.
Desire from people like me? Absolutely.

After being a Nintendo die-hard throughout the 90's, I felt like Nintendo stabbed me in the back with the Gamecube (Except for Metroid Prime series). Gamecube onwards, Nintendo makes hardware and games that do not appeal to me one bit. When they stop making solely kiddy games, and put out a powerful console, without any waggle/motion/portability gimmicks, I will consider them to be a viable option.

Spaceworld 2000 Zelda Demo --> Spaceworld 2001 Zelda Demo is a microcosm for the fall of Nintendo in my eyes.

Danjin44

Although I haven't played it, from what I've seen Kingdom Hearts III is a good example of moving forward graphically while retaining the same atmosphere of the older games on PS2. There's a distinct difference. I don't ever expect photo realistic games on Nintendo hardware, such as HZD (which uses a realistic art style). I will still play Nintendo games, but it still pains me when we still don't have stuff like the following on nintendo consoles.

And each of these are trailers from like 7 years ago. Tell me there's not something wrong with not being able to achieve that graphical fidelity that many years later.

Honestly speaking those doesn’t look good to, I would say I like the visual in BotW and Luigi’s Mansion 3 way more.

Psajdak

Banned
PS2 vegetation:

OyEKNRv.jpg

Switch vegetation:

P9T61fn.jpg

:(

The only notable example I can think of which might prove your point is Doom Eternal.

What Japanese games do you have in mind when you think they're being developed with Switch kneecapping them?

Lets compare to Pokemon and fuck everything else.
maxresdefault.jpg

0Tx1M4x.jpg

nintendo-direct-942019-30-58-screenshot-1567638021051_3122.jpg

X is the greatest 3d game ever on a Nintendo hardware. It destroyed any Nintendo games in everyway, even now. Take Zelda or Mario compare the 3, then play them. Yep X is the king, the best thing since the Super Famicom... and people are really playing Zelda, Mario or Pokémon (yes the last Pokeshit instead of X) over X? They should really hate living! Why would someone do that? 😱

And X is not about art VS tech, it's both... on a Nintendo hardware, Nintentrolls should take notes. X destroys all their narrative about art VS tech. 🤭

Last edited:

Lrnex

Nintendo sits in a large Nintendo-shaped niche and it mostly works for them. As long as the hardware isn’t awkward and terrible, they can get by just fine with their ridiculously popular and timeless IPs and generally quality content.

I just wish they would stop sleeping on so many of their old IPs. The NES/SNES Switch Online emulator thing is just so much wasted potential. They did the same thing with the Virtual Console of past generations - drip feeding games over the course of years and even then ending up with an incomplete library. It’s maddening and I don’t understand why they insist on gate keeping their old content like that.

Ikutachi

X is the greatest 3d game ever on a Nintendo hardware. It destroyed any Nintendo games in everyway, even now. Take Zelda or Mario compare the 3, then play them. Yep X is the king, the best thing since the Super Famicom... and people are really playing Zelda, Mario or Pokémon (yes the last Pokeshit instead of X) over X? They should really hate living! Why would someone do that? 😱

And X is not about art VS tech, it's both... on a Nintendo hardware, Nintentrolls should take notes. X destroys all their narrative about art VS tech. 🤭
Tiny text size tho.

Last edited:
If anything, Nintendo should stick to their market ($100-250 price range) and embrace it. I hope they never attempt to push hardware power ever again. They don't have the competency.

Gargus

Banned
I like nintendo because they do their own thing. They March to the beat of their own drum. They are the ones who innovated in games and always changing things up, trying new things, have good quality control most of the time, and are an upbeat company. I've been with them 30 years or so.

With that said, I don't care about Nintendo anymore and I barely touch my switch aside from a few first party titles. I don't like them as a company anymore or care for their products. All they do is sequel, after sequel, after sequel of the same tired old franchise's over and over again. They have 0 originality. The rare occasion they make a new game it is quickly forgotten and abandoned like Wii music or arms or labo and then turn around and shit out yet another smash bros fighter dlc or another zelda game. They merchandise the living shit out of everything. They make too many things that are just useless toys in disguise. They impliment more and more paid dlc, more mobile microtransaction games. They let everyone use the switch as a dumping ground for games that are years old and just a few dollars on every other system but cost 10x or more on the switch and don't run as well.

Honestly in my eyes Nintendo stopped being Nintendo a few years back. Now it's just another company like all the others, they just still have that playful and kind facade on the building disguising what's inside it and the only people that come out to say anything are non threatening, pleasantly speaking japanese men with big smiles. Nintendo now only survives on its name and persona, not by its products.

I cut my teeth with Nintendo and grew up with them, but they no longer hold a place in my heart because they aren't Nintendo anymore. My playstation and pc are now where my heart lies in gaming. Those 2 platforms have done more to satisfy me as a customer and give me what I want as a game in the past year than Nintendo has in the past 10 years.

DESTROYA

I mean, that they start making home consoles about as powerful as PS. and Xbox, and overall stop being so...

Toy like, and full of colors, optimism, happiness, and playing games is fun.

Will something revolutionary happen to Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pokemon?
What’s wrong with colorful and fun games? I don’t get what your complaining about, there are some great looking games on the Switch.
Sure they have their fair share of shifty looking games but you can say that for every console ever made.

Chronos24

I just don't understand why Nintendo can't "Nintendo" and still put out a powerful piece of hardware. It doesn't have to compete with Xbox or Playstation but at least be in the ballpark so it isn't left out. That's my only gripe honestly. I love Nintendo and their games don't get me wrong but I just wonder what they could do of they didn't limit themselves with their hardware as well as third parties. Seems we've forgotten what it's like to get third party exclusives for consoles particularly Nintendo

I like nintendo because they do their own thing. They March to the beat of their own drum. They are the ones who innovated in games and always changing things up, trying new things, have good quality control most of the time, and are an upbeat company. I've been with them 30 years or so.

With that said, I don't care about Nintendo anymore and I barely touch my switch aside from a few first party titles. I don't like them as a company anymore or care for their products. All they do is sequel, after sequel, after sequel of the same tired old franchise's over and over again. They have 0 originality. The rare occasion they make a new game it is quickly forgotten and abandoned like Wii music or arms or labo and then turn around and shit out yet another smash bros fighter dlc or another zelda game. They merchandise the living shit out of everything. They make too many things that are just useless toys in disguise. They impliment more and more paid dlc, more mobile microtransaction games. They let everyone use the switch as a dumping ground for games that are years old and just a few dollars on every other system but cost 10x or more on the switch and don't run as well.

Honestly in my eyes Nintendo stopped being Nintendo a few years back. Now it's just another company like all the others, they just still have that playful and kind facade on the building disguising what's inside it and the only people that come out to say anything are non threatening, pleasantly speaking japanese men with big smiles. Nintendo now only survives on its name and persona, not by its products.

I cut my teeth with Nintendo and grew up with them, but they no longer hold a place in my heart because they aren't Nintendo anymore. My playstation and pc are now where my heart lies in gaming. Those 2 platforms have done more to satisfy me as a customer and give me what I want as a game in the past year than Nintendo has in the past 10 years.

I think you might just be going through a phase.

Can't speak for Wii Music but ARMS had good ongoing support for more than a year and Labo seems to still be getting VR minigames now.

I'm not sure what kind of support you are expecting? Something like R6S and For Honor?

SMM2 has seen some really interesting updates in recent months, Splatoon 2 is also still being supported.

I'm not sure why Smash is on your chopping block either.

I will say that yes, it's a shame that so many ports to the system often charge more and run worse. I'm not sure if that's within Nintendo's ballpark though.

Even on PS4 there are games that don't run well but are sold anyway, so I'm assuming this is...to be expected.

Anyway, maybe you just wanted to rant but if you have the time, I'd like to read more specifics:

What sequels of tired old franchises?
What games are you enjoying on PS4 & PC?
What are some of the Switch games you did enjoy?

I mean, that they start making home consoles about as powerful as PS. and Xbox, and overall stop being so...

Toy like, and full of colors, optimism, happiness, and playing games is fun.

Will something revolutionary happen to Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pokemon?

Nintendo is perfect as it is.

Only i wish more Mature Games like Geist or Killer Instintct for part of NIntendo

Danjin44

I just don't understand why Nintendo can't "Nintendo" and still put out a powerful piece of hardware. It doesn't have to compete with Xbox or Playstation but at least be in the ballpark so it isn't left out. That's my only gripe honestly. I love Nintendo and their games don't get me wrong but I just wonder what they could do of they didn't limit themselves with their hardware as well as third parties. Seems we've forgotten what it's like to get third party exclusives for consoles particularly Nintendo
You are assuming most Japanese developers will push the tech when they have powerful system to work with. Other than Capcom, Square Enix and Kojima, most JP developers won't go with high tech graphics even they are making games on PS4 and Xbox. You can look at Atlus, FROM and PlatinumGames as example, in my honest opinion Capcom's games art direction is really suffering ever since they pushing for hyper realism on their games.

I currently play through original RE Remake and I cant believe how much I like the character models in that game compare to RE2Remake (which I still Enjoy the game) I also hated the visuals in DMCV and HATED the fact in Death Stranding instead of designing interesting original character they put celebrities faces on the characters instead. If that what it means to have JP developers pushing for high tech graphics then I rather not have it.

What sequels of tired old franchises?

New Mario (always been bad, oh and art vs tech.. both are bad, and that music man!). Yoshi (the only good one is on SFC). Kirby (the Wii were ok but everything after that was bad). Paper Mario (the GC and SFC were great... that's it). Luigi's Mansion (the 1st was fun but so short). 3d Mario (Galaxy was great despite the bad cameras, others are so boring, the 3d serie is even not fun at all and so generic. Haven't play the last one). Dr Mario (why is it a thing?). Star Fox. Wii Feet wiiu. Wii Sports WiiU. Pokemon. Mario and Luigy. Mario VS Boswer. Fatal Frame. Metroid (Wii, 3ds... 😱😱😱).

Xenoblade chronicles 2, Smash and Zelda are polirazing.

And still no Mother 3. 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Last edited:

FStubbs

The Switch was pretty top of the line for a 2017 handheld. A theoretical Vita successor wouldn't have been any more powerful.

Now true as a console they're behind graphically, but we're getting to the point where that is mattering less and less.

Malakhov

Banned
After the SNES era I never cared much about Nintendo but as I grow older I actually like what they're doing for the gaming industry.

A good chunk of the industry makes interactive movies now, I just love to pick a game and play without being bothered by that shit

Last edited:
Top Bottom