• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there enough in the pipeline to save the Wii U?

tronic307

Yes, and hopefully Metroid is in that pipeline. I think Nintendo has come to terms with the notion that the Wii U is a fan system. The way they brought E3 directly to the fans really drove that point home. There is no shame in getting the Wii U to GameCube sales numbers, perhaps a bit more.

Metallix87

The Gameboy Advance had three years on the market before its successor launched. Both were extremely successful and the Nintendo DS went on to become Nintendo's best selling platform.
That's the difference. The GBA wasn't a failure.

tronic307

sörine;116380499 said:
From Iwata's comments it seems the Wii U architecture is going to be grandfathered into their future platforms too. I think this is smart since even with low returns then investment into Wii U isn't necessairily a "waste" as technology, assets, software, networking, tools and so on can be transitioned to the next hardware cycle. Sort of like with Gamecube & Wii.
I think Nintendo has gotten plenty of mileage out of the GameCube architecture, but who knows, maybe the next handheld will be PowerPC based as well.

Very Nintendo.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I think it was a nice showing but not enough to right the ship.
Nintendo is in a pretty rough spot and there seem to be very few ways to correct it.

Releasing a new system capable of competing or surpassing the XB1 and PS4 would be expensive and bad PR if released before 2017. Most Wii U owners that I know (Myself included) own multiple systems no one just owns a Wii U as their Primary.That is a huge problem.The main reason for this problem (in my opinion) is the absolute lack of third party support.

Releasing a new system to compete with the XB1 and PS4 will simply be seen as a desperation move and depending on the timing would all but guarantee current Wii U owners don't purchase their next system.

If I were in charge my first order of business would be putting out a few quality titles that diehard Nintendo fans could not resist. I would also dig into my buddy Sega's back catalog for a few gems. Altered Beasts,Chakan,Comix Zone,Streets of Rage,Kid chameleon,Vectorman to go along with a new Metroid,Star Fox,Zelda,Kid Icarus,and F-Zero among others.

The Absolute most important thing I would do before releasing a new system would be to patch up my relationship with the third party companies. If this isn't done beforehand a new system will only face the same issues as the current.

I fear that this year may be the peak of the Wii-U's sales, especially now that PS4 and X1 are picking up momentum (I know, I know, different target demographics and all that...).

By the end of the year we'll have two major system-sellers: Mario Kart and Smash Bros as well as some minor sellers like DK Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta, etc. On top of that, since WIi-U has been out for a while, people are looking back at older games like Pikmin, NSMB U, 3D World, etc to round out the library. It's a very attractive time to jump in since we're not approaching a new Nintendo console anytime soon.

And yet, what else do they have? Historically speaking, neither Zelda nor Metroid nor Kirby nor Yoshi are system-movers in any large capacity. I feel like Nintendo is too lazy or too stubborn to do a proper high-def, high production value sidescrolling Mario which would certainly move a lot of consoles (dump the "New" tag, too). The Wii Sports ship has said because Nintendo neglected it and let that grapevine wither. Wii Fit U hasn't made an impact. Maybe if they get QOL products out of the door and FAST, it wil get some more momentum.

This is the first time I've gained any real interest in the Wii U, so I think Nintendo have done something right - if only for me. I'll pick one up next year if these games aren't delayed, alongside Mario Kart and Monster Hunter.

And price drop.

Cuburt

People have been saying how important E3 is for a consoles success the rest of the year and how Sony's E3 gave them the momentum to outsell the Xbox One.

If that line of thinking holds true, the Wii U should be able to pick up it's pace.

If the PS3 and the 3DS was able to change it's fortune by the exclusives they were able to come out with, the Wii U is not out of this race.

SykoTech

Eh. I don't think having a bunch of exclusives is ever going to save the Wii U. Especially when a lot of the games are niche. It helps for sure, but that alone can't turn things around.

Sony built up a great lineup of exclusives on the PS3, which was great. But it ws the 3rd party support and price drop that really "saved" it.

Wii U might make it to profitability. Not really sure how much it needs to sell to get there though. But I still doubt it will managed to sell more than the Gamecube.

The Absolute most important thing I would do before releasing a new system would be to patch up my relationship with the third party companies. If this isn't done beforehand a new system will only face the same issues as the current.
Ain't gonna happen, not while Sony and Microsoft are still in the market, and not while Nintendo HQ in Japan still insists on calling the shots in all territories instead of allowing NOA and NOE to make their own choices.

See, 3rd parties are quite happy doing what they're doing. They get exclusive deals, get to play one side against the other, make DLC, get advertising, etc. Nintendo does not have the clout nor cash to get in on that game. That's why Wii-U's non-existent 3rd party support was never a suprise, because it was never about hardware parity or better online.

I think if Nintendo truly wants to succeed next-gen, they need to stop doing this idiotic "one x game per generation" BS and instead focus on what the market is clamoring for. They need to continue developing relationships with indies (you never know where the next hit will come from). Lastly, if they want to be truly successful, make a $200 console. Seriously. Do it. Basic wi-fi. Around the same power as PS4/X1. No gimmicks (though it could include "tablet" support with the new Nintendo handheld). No crazy controller. Release in 2017/2018. Just a new console, two controllers in the box, and a new Super Mario Bros title bundled. $200.

I don't think even with these great games coming the WiiU will be "saved". I mean this E3 definately convinced me to get one before a PS4 or Xbone but I'd guess a lot of people are just waiting for its price to completely tank by now to play some of its best games.

Sean

Banned
I'm pleased with Nintendo's lineup at E3 as a Wii U owner, but let's be honest, the console is in the exact same position it was a year ago. Now that MK8 has released, the only system sellers on the horizon are Smash Bros and Zelda.

Captain Toad and Bayonetta are going to flop hard. There's a tiny audience for these titles and it's the type of hardcore gamers that post on neogaf. Same thing for Splatoon next year. With Yoshi's Woolly World you only have to look at the sales performance of DKC Tropical Freeze to see the upper limit of potential sales (I think DKCTF is <250k in NPD and that's a bigger franchise than Yoshi).

They'll keep existing Wii U owners happy but not much more.

This is the first time I've gained any real interest in the Wii U, so I think Nintendo have done something right - if only for me. I'll pick one up next year if these games aren't delayed, alongside Mario Kart and Monster Hunter.

And price drop.

Yup... I feel exactly the same. Especially since a lot of the good stuff is due in 2015. Plus waiting on that inevitable price drop. Until then.. rocking with PC only this gen.

sophia-grace-smooth.gif

Timeaisis

Depends on your definition of "save", but Smash sure seems to be a system seller. Maybe even more than Kart, if that's even possible.

Bp50UTzCYAAVpzP.jpg

sörine

Banned
Eh... isn't their necessity for backwards compatibility at least a part of what's hamstrung the Wii U in terms of external software development? Does that imply they'll once again be out of sync with the other two hardware vendors architecturally (who will probably end up even more closely aligned in terms of design if they continue to cater to the desires of third parties.)
I think architecture was meant in a more general sense than simply recycling the chipset. So things like easily transitioning their development pipeline, network infrastructure, operating system, etc. Iwata's comments also implied a greater push towards cross-platform development to free up resources.

Jopie

its going to end up being a system that people look back on fondly in a decade. Same as N64 and Gamecube. Both those systems had poor 3rd party support, and major droughts with little to play.

But both are looked back on fondly because the games portfolio shaped up really well over time. I dont know that sales will ever be huge, but a system with 3dworld, pikmin 3, wonderful 101, lego city, bayonetta 2, mario kart, zombiu, and a bunch of other gems is going to have a good legacy.

Riposte

its going to end up being a system that people look back on fondly in a decade. Same as N64 and Gamecube. Both those systems had poor 3rd party support, and major droughts with little to play.

But both are looked back on fondly because the games portfolio shaped up really well over time. I dont know that sales will ever be huge, but a system with 3dworld, pikmin 3, wonderful 101, lego city, bayonetta 2, mario kart, zombiu, and a bunch of other gems is going to have a good legacy.

Yeah, I agree. Enthusiasts are going to love this machine once the NPDs become irrelevant to it. It also tells me Nintendo has some neat games to up-port for their next console.

Opiate

So you're suggesting starving the platform because of a bad first year.
Imagine if Sony did that with PS3 for a moment. That will tell you how viable the strategy is.
Hell, you can see how good it works in actuality: check what it is doing to Vita.

The PS3 cost Sony 5 billion dollars or more to "save". Yes, if Nintendo is willing to spend 5 billion dollars (instead of just 500 million), they may be able to turn the Wii U around. They would probably need more, though, because Sony started near-instantly, while Nintendo is already well over a year in.

It is my suggestion that this 5 billion dollars is better spent on the Wii U successor.

Opiate

I don't really get what's so hard to understand about what Opiate's posting.
Opiate isn't saying they should cancel all Wii U development, scuttle Zelda Wii U, and never produce any more Wii U software for the rest of the life cycle.

Opiate is saying it is no longer worthwhile investing in new Wii U software development that would entail significant development resources, in terms of both money and human capital, to try and expand the Wii U installed base and recapture market share. By this I would assume the reference is to titles on the scale of Zelda and Smash Bros and MK8. It is no longer worthwhile to try and "save" the Wii U.

A degree of resources should be used to continue to maintain the userbase, certainly. Announcements like Captain Toad and Mario Maker probably serve this purpose well. But given the option of devoting large scale resources to the Wii U to try and turn it around, or towards setting up a future platform for success, the latter is the better option.

(Opiate is free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting him.)

This is absolutely what I'm saying, yes. Thank you.

I'm kind of amazed there are still people who think Nintendo should drop support for the Wii U mid-generation and spend tens of million dollar developing a new console to put out in 2016. That would be an unqualified disaster. Nintendo is making money on the Wii U at the margin. It needs to keep making that money.

If Nintendo released a new console in 2016, it would literally be a repeat of the Wii U: a console that's more powerful than the competition, but will be much weaker than the competition when the competition launch new consoles 2 years later. Nintendo will still have hardware that occupies a weird position in terms of power. It will still have bad relationships with third parties, and the reputation that third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles.

But in addition to all those problems, it will now have a reputation for abandoning consoles after just 3 years, and all the loyal Nintendo fans will be extremely pissed that they went out and supported Nintendo by buying Wii U's, only to be snubbed 6 months later. Not only that, but Nintendo will have incurred the monumental cost of developing a new console twice in a 4 year span, and they'll have abandoned the opportunity to get as much money as possible from the Wii U. They will be in a worse place in every way: financially and in terms of reputation. And people still won't want a Nintendo machine.

No; that's absolutely crazy. Any plan that involves Nintendo staying in the console hardware market must involve Nintendo sticking it out this generation, demonstrating their committment to their games and their fans. This is true whether the Wii U has a chance of reaching 20 million units or not.

george_us

I don't care personally. All I know is that between the 2014 and 2015 releases plus the current library, there's more than enough to justify having a Wii U for me. If Nintendo decides to kill it in 2016 I wouldn't be mad at all.

Fbh

As with Mario Kart I'm sure most big releases (Smash, and then later Zelda) will give it a boost in sales for a few week.
But I don't see anything other than a big budget AAA, open world Pokemon game "Saving" the WiiU.

It still lacks the hardware, it still lacks the third party support. Say what you want about the quality of COD, battlefield and all the line of brown shooters, etc.... but those games sell and are sadly missing fom the WiiU.

But hey, us WiiU users and enjoying it and Nintendo is giving it good support. So I'm fine with it selling as it does.

I'm just glad they showed how committed they are to the Wii U, before E3 you got tons of people saying that they would drop support, and now I'm at least interested 10 Wii U titles that will come out 2014-2015, and I think that's fantastic.

Mr Swine

Banned
sörine;116380499 said:
From Iwata's comments it seems the Wii U architecture is going to be grandfathered into their future platforms too. I think this is smart since even with low returns then investment into Wii U isn't necessairily a "waste" as technology, assets, software, networking, tools and so on can be transitioned to the next hardware cycle. Sort of like with Gamecube & Wii.

Won't it cost Nintendo more to continue to invest in IBM hardware instead of just switching over to AMD with x86 architecture?

Terrell

The PS3 cost Sony 5 billion dollars or more to "save". Yes, if Nintendo is willing to spend 5 billion dollars (instead of just 500 million), they may be able to turn the Wii U around. They would probably need more, though, because Sony started near-instantly, while Nintendo is already well over a year in.

It is my suggestion that this 5 billion dollars is better spent on the Wii U successor.
So, first off, $5 billion is not a standard mandatory amount to spend to save a platform, Sony had very specific cost concerns that led to that number.

But ultimately, what is the intended outcome of such a proposition? And what do you risk or sacrifice by doing it?

Provide that data in full, then we can discuss why it won't work as you think it will and may be permanently detrimental. Why do you think Sony sank the $5 billion into PS3? Wasn't out of kindness. There's a reason they did it, and that reason needs to be addressed by your proposed solution.

casmith07

Honestly, it was doomed as soon as they announced it would basically be as strong as the PS3 and Xbox 360, and it was coming out slightly before the PS4 and Xbox One.

That being said, it doesn't mean that there still aren't some good games for it. However, if a gamer is on a tight budget for purchasing a new console, it's probably more advantageous to go with one of the "big two" over the Wii U from a longevity and variety standpoint.

Those of us with more disposable income, however, should definitely pick up a Wii U as a nice alternative to the "big two." While I'm uninterested in the Xbox One, I have found the Wii U as a nice supplement and change of pace from my PC and PS4.

MDX

This is absolutely what I'm saying, yes. Thank you.

Better to put your resources in a product with an established and growing user base than a new untested product with no user base. I expect WiiU to be around till 2019 and even 2020.

MilesTeg

Banned
Fact is Nintendo doesn't want to "save" Wii U. The hardware is probably the least profitable they have ever put out. Third party left (or were never there) and they aren't coming back to Wii U. Nintendo wants to sell through their inventory and at the same time not anger current owners, so they have a decent lineup for 2015 of mid to small budget software with a couple exceptions.

Iwata basically said it would take them two years to get their new hardware out, so I'm expecting successors to 3DS and Wii U by holiday 2016.

nope all those people already own a Wii U

I think that's the key problem. Everyone who wants the E3 games Nintendo announced already has the console. They'll be some people late to the party of course, but ultimately Nintendo make Nintendo games which appeal to Nintendo fans, and that is seemingly an ever shrinking userbase.

When I was in school, it would be Mario vs Sonic. These days, the kids just want to headshot each other in Call Of Duty.

People have been saying how important E3 is for a consoles success the rest of the year and how Sony's E3 gave them the momentum to outsell the Xbox One.

If that line of thinking holds true, the Wii U should be able to pick up it's pace.

If the PS3 and the 3DS was able to change it's fortune by the exclusives they were able to come out with, the Wii U is not out of this race.

PS3 and 3DS have more third party support than they can handle. WIIU has none.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PS3 and 3DS have more third party support than they can handle. WIIU has none.

I'll concede that 3DS has significantly more Japanese 3rd party support than Wii U, but not sure how strong I would call 3DS 3rd party support geared towards the West. Certainly nowhere close to PS3.

Depends on your definition of "save", but Smash sure seems to be a system seller. Maybe even more than Kart, if that's even possible.

Bp50UTzCYAAVpzP.jpg

Sure its anticipated, but you place demo kits of any massively anticipated game 6 months before release or so and it will attract fans to go to play it.

Regiruler

I think one of the big things that has come up in this thread is that MK8 HAS TO have staying power. SM3DW, as incredible as it was, had meager sales and fell off the cliff quickly. MK8 has to hang on in the sales charts at least through June to make a difference. If it can actually hang in through July? Well then that will play directly to Hyrule Warriors. And while only the 3DS version of Smash is releasing in Oct... that should at least drive awareness that the Wii U version is in fact coming soon after.
Not an mainstream release, and it's probably later in the month, but October also has Bayonetta 2, which could move a small number of units as well as a value play considering that it's bundled with the critically acclaimed prior game.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I believe its only going to be as successful as the gamecube if it does pull the casual crowd the same way the Wii did.

HGStormy

Banned
As many other people have mentioned, Nintendo sells refurb Wii U's for $200 on their website. That's where I got mine, and it works perfectly :) I highly recommend anyone on the fence, or waiting for a price drop, to go pick one up. Mario Kart 8 is one of the best split screen / local MP games in a long time.

As for their E3, I think they have some pretty diverse titles coming, though some of their titles are pretty niche (Bayonetta and SMTxFE)
I think it'd be pretty interesting to see how Splatoon does, since it's a pretty unique take on a very popular genre (multiplayer shooter). It does kind of suck that they have all of their big titles stacked for the end of this year and 2015, it would be nice if they were spread out more evenly. Hopefully they can push enough quality indie games and smaller titles to fill in the gaps.

I'll concede that 3DS has significantly more Japanese 3rd party support than Wii U, but not sure how strong I would call 3DS 3rd party support geared towards the West. Certainly nowhere close to PS3.

The handheld market does not require the same kind of third party support . Handhelds !=consoles. Nintendos core IPs play better to a handheld market, one that probably skews younger, and can more easily sustain a handheld system than they can a home console. It's not a 1:1 comparison that everyone seems to keep trying to make. The things that "saved" the 3ds are not going to save the Wii u. Completely different market dynamics at play.

Kimawolf

Save is subjective.

I don't think they'll sell 100 million units, or even 50 million. I do think this generation, Nintendo needed as they now seem to be listening to fans and critics. i think the Nintendo brand has been saved, and will set them up nicely for the following generation if they make the right hardware choices (A system which simply can receive 3rd party ports, it's strength needs to be good enough to get those ports, doesn't matter if it's the strongest or weakest, only if it can get ports easily and cheaply).

Their Wii U games still make money, especially games like Mario Kart. Saying that invested money towards "saving" the wii U is dead money is kind of silly in that regard. They also need to keep consumers happy, they can't just piss off over 6 million of their core audience like that.

Nintendo is no where near ready to launch a new system yet, especially something that has much better specs than the Wii U, and they can't just disappear for like 3 years like that.

Nothing is fundamentally wrong with the Wii U unlike the virtual boy, it might not be getting any 3rd party support outside of indies, but it's not like it's impossible to make it into a healthy platform for Nintendo's own games. They have like 6 or 7 "million sellers" within the span of a year and a half, if they increase their marketing and game output that'll continue for the rest of the system's life.
Also, Nintendo's next systems will adopt the Wii U's architecture so anything done on wii U is experience for their next systems, tools for their developers to use, and games they can easily port over when they eventually come

Fair point. The 3DS just seems like it has so many more games than 3ds

Duxxy3

E3 improved my outlook on the Wii U. I don't think it will be the colossal failure I thought it would be. Smash is going to be HUGE whenever it is released. Probably the biggest system seller of this generation IMO. I can't wait to see more about Zelda, and the talk of 2D and 3D Metroid has got my imagination going.

Top Bottom