• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this a good deal??? Buying a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryck

I've been a Mac guy my whole life but I decided to buy a Pc. Our tech guy at work referred me to the guy who did our systems and he's building me a .......

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
512 ram
80 gb hd
dvd-rom drive
dvd-r drive

without monitor or keyboard mouse etc it came out to $410 tax included, is that good?? is there anything I should ask ? sorry im totally new to this I usually just go buy the newest mac that meets my needs.

Ryck said:
I've been a Mac guy my whole life but I decided to buy a Pc. Our tech guy at work referred me to the guy who did our systems and he's building me a .......

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
512 ram
80 gb hd
dvd-rom drive
dvd-r drive

without monitor or keyboard mouse etc it came out to $410 tax included, is that good?? is there anything I should ask ? sorry im totally new to this I usually just go buy the newest mac that meets my needs.

what type of mobo? what are the specs of the processor? give us more details, like bus speed, etc. What type of video card? you're missing some critical information. It could be a good deal, or a ripoff. 80 gigs of HDD space isn't much anymore, you should keep that in mind as well. And why get a DVD rom, and a DVD+/-r/w drive?

Ryck

JeffDowns said:
what type of mobo? what are the specs of the processor? give us more details, like bus speed, etc. What type of video card? you're missing some critical information. It could be a good deal, or a ripoff. 80 gigs of HDD space isn't much anymore, you should keep that in mind as well. And why get a DVD rom, and a DVD+/-r/w drive?
Crap I don't know any of that stuff, So is it unessesary to buy both drives ( to back up dvds )?? I assumed it would be faster.... I prolly should have asked you guys first *smacks self*

Backing up DVD's...hmm, you might as well just use one drive to rip the dvd, and then burn. I dont think you're going to get any faster performce out of using 2 drives, if anything it would cause more issues, slowdown and problems. You need to get an entire full and drawn out spec list from whoever quoted you and post it here. Or just have a friend look at it for you to make sure you're getting a good deal, and more importantly getting exactly what you need. :)

Ryck

JeffDowns said:
Backing up DVD's...hmm, you might as well just use one drive to rip the dvd, and then burn. I dont think you're going to get any faster performce out of using 2 drives, if anything it would cause more issues, slowdown and problems. You need to get an entire full and drawn out spec list from whoever quoted you and post it here. Or just have a friend look at it for you to make sure you're getting a good deal, and more importantly getting exactly what you need. :)
I called the guy and removed the Dvd rom drive and changed the hd to 120 gb it actually lowered to 352.59

Ryck said:
I called the guy and removed the Dvd rom drive and changed the hd to 120 gb it actually lowered to 352.59

Doesn't sound like TOO bad of a deal. If you're just a casual user I'm sure the specs I'd normally look into won't make or break you. I'm assuming you already have a monitor, etc.

Ryck

JeffDowns said:
Doesn't sound like TOO bad of a deal. If you're just a casual user I'm sure the specs I'd normally look into won't make or break you. I'm assuming you already have a monitor, etc.
I have a mouse and keyboard and Im just going to go into my dvi port on my 30" Wega (do I need an adapter? either way I have a spare monitor) and yeah it's all casual stuff ( I still have my g5 Mac)

gohepcat

Banned
Ryck said:
I have a mouse and keyboard and Im just going to go into my dvi port on my 30" Wega (do I need an adapter? either way I have a spare monitor) and yeah it's all casual stuff ( I still have my g5 Mac)

Sounds fine. Very low end of the current systems, but still fine for almost anything. For the price. It's sounds great. I'm sure you will be happy with it,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom