• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this amusing or evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

I just got off the phone with my brother back in DC. We talk like once a month. Anyway, during the course of our conversation, I convinced him that it's been a standing tradition in our family to listen to Purple Rain on Thanksgiving. When he admitted he had 'forgotten' about this tradition, I invoked the name of our dead sibling -- "What would _____ think if he knew you didn't listen to his favorite record on Thanksgiving?" The attempt to make him feel bad appears to have worked, thanks to my tasteless raping of tragedy.

I think this is incredibly amusing. It's a joke that only I find funny. Next year, during our post-Thanksgiving talk, after he tells me he listend to Purple Rain, I'm going to tell him that I made up the whole tradition thing, and that he's pretty retarded. It'll be great. It's like a joke that takes a year to tell.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Both?

I once convinced an ex-girlfriend that I had a dead sister when she was bugging the hell out of me and needed to shut up. It was relevant somehow, but I can't for the life of me remember the exact context. Played it real serious and sad. I let that stand for about a day. She was pretty damned pissed when I said I made the whole thing up and enjoyed it.

Good times...

aku:jiki

White Man said:
"What would _____ think if he knew you didn't listen to his favorite record on Thanksgiving?"
You actually said this and your brother didn't burst out laughing? I will never understand America.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Ha, I think it's pretty fucking hilarious. The year-long build is what makes it great. Similarly, if he forgets about it and doesn't mention it to you next year, the resulting backfire will really suck.

White Man

If he forgets next year, I'll guilt trip him again. Then it will be a joke with an even bigger build up. And it can't really blow up in my face.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you should really try and keep this up for 10+ years. If I was dead, it would make me laugh, like i was in on the gag.

Arwen

White Man said:
I think this is incredibly amusing. It's a joke that only I find funny. Next year, during our post-Thanksgiving talk, after he tells me he listend to Purple Rain, I'm going to tell him that I made up the whole tradition thing, and that he's pretty retarded. It'll be great. It's like a joke that takes a year to tell.

:lol

I find it pretty amusing. I once convinced my sister that Shania Twain was building a glass mansion in Switzerland and that the NBA was introducing a 4-point line that would be a foot away from the half court line.

DJ Sl4m

fugly4112906.jpg

That's pretty sick, using a passed away sibley for humor ?

firex

White Man said:
I just got off the phone with my brother back in DC. We talk like once a month. Anyway, during the course of our conversation, I convinced him that it's been a standing tradition in our family to listen to Purple Rain on Thanksgiving. When he admitted he had 'forgotten' about this tradition, I invoked the name of our dead sibling -- "What would _____ think if he knew you didn't listen to his favorite record on Thanksgiving?" The attempt to make him feel bad appears to have worked, thanks to my tasteless raping of tragedy.

are you sure you're not david sedaris?

White Man

I am clearly the resurrection of Andy Kaufmann. I've never read Dave Sedaris. I think all the recommendations in the world would give stutter to piquing my interest after seeing how lame his regular readers were while working in a funky bookstore in Georgetown. I don't want to tarnish my cool reading self-image by reading something. The only way I'd read him would be if I were allowed to pronounce his last name with an absurd French accent.

And for anyone wondering, this brother is 33 and teaches Medival Lit at the Univesity of Virginia, where he's doing his PhD work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom