• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is U2 the most overrated band in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XOMTOR

U2 was great in the 80ies, and up to "Achtung Baby".

It's hard to believe these days, but back then they were actually kind of "cool" and in a way "alternative".

After the incredible success they had with "Achtung Baby" and all their weird imagery they were using, they went to shit, though...

Correct. I was a huge U2 fan up to and including Rattle & Hum. Purchased Achtung Baby and was like: WTF?? Chucked that piece of junk out I was so disappointed. Everything they've done since has been tripe. Still have and listen to their pre-Achtung stuff to this day though.

Shirow

Banned
U2 is not overrated. My first U2 album was actually Pop and I liked it. All that you can't leave behind is great too. And their older stuff is beast.

Anyway I've never really got "Queen". I've always been aware of their immense popularity. But I've never listened to one of their albums or anything. I do like a couple of their songs, what is the best Queen album? Maybe I should give them a try.

Tenebrous

U2 is not overrated. My first U2 album was actually Pop and I liked it. All that you can't leave behind is great too. And their older stuff is beast.

Anyway I've never really got "Queen". I've always been aware of their immense popularity. But I've never listened to one of their albums or anything. I do like a couple of their songs, what is the best Queen album? Maybe I should give them a try.

A Night at the Opera.

Jezus, some of the comments in this thread.

Considering The Beatles "bland" is just wrong and I don't even mind when people don't like them.

I haven't heard too many songs to say whether or not they are overrated but man are the fans overrated hahaha, especially the Beatles stans.

Clegg

Rather than after Pop, U2 probably should've called it a day after All That You Can't Leave Behind. They'd spent the 90's experimenting with their sound and then released a straightforward rock album well regarded critically and commercially to round off their career. Would've been a nice way to finish it. However I don't blame them for continuing on because their tours make stupid money. Creatively they've been treading water since How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

U2 have a stretch of albums, starting from War and finishing with Achtung Baby, that any band would be proud to have in their own back catalogue. They were one the best mainstream bands going from the mid 80's to mid 90's. That's a long time and a long string of hits. I don't think they're overrated as they've realeased two stone cold classics in JT and AB. I also respect that they weren't comtent with resting on their laurels after the success in f Joshua Tree and made an effort to change their sound in Achtung Baby. That took balls.

Tevren

For me it' definitely the Rolling Stones, and i honestly like them. I just feel the hype exceeds justifiable limits.

u@, has a band ever really evolved as much as they have over the years, and still retained success?

People have been complaining about U2 being average since the 80s. Hell, if the Internet was mainstream for people shitting out opinions when Rattle and Hum was released, wow. That would have been an epic display of U2 hate.

If you love them you love them, if you hate them you hate them. Same as any band. That being said, I really don't like most of The Ramones back catalogue but they're still a bloody terrific band.

aku:jiki

I have never met another person who proclaimed to like U2. Never really seen someone in a U2 shirt. No bumper stickers, tattoos, posters or whatever else. They're one of those bands that sell out arenas, but no one really seems to actively like them.

I have never met another person who proclaimed to like U2. Never really seen someone in a U2 shirt. No bumper stickers, tattoos, posters or whatever else. They're one of those bands that sell out arenas, but no one really seems to actively like them.

Most 40-somethings don't wear band shirts.

ATF487

How old are you?

Matriox

Any sort of rating is overrated for Nickelback, so I'd say Nickelback. I didn't grow up with U2 or The Beatles but I still like a few songs by them (Help is one of my favorite songs of all time). But anyone that says Queen is just flat wrong, Mercury is one of the greatest vocalists ever.

Yeah, I know like 3 people who are really into them but it's always baffling to me how they sell out huge arenas.

Edit: yeah I suppose their fans are older and not into wearing shirts and whatnot.

Apdiddy

I got into U2 due to the Zooropa album. They have Johnny Cash singing on a track and they were trying to be as weird as possible. They did POP which was in the same weird vein but U2 seemed to have hated it.

I wish they would go back to that and not try to make an album that sounds like the same album they've done since 2000. They occasionally try to do that but it's like they are making singles first and worrying about an album second.

Other than that, you're right -- they are overrated.

Plenty of them 20-25 years ago.
But i agree it's weird how they keep filling those stadiums.

RoKKeR

Correct. I was a huge U2 fan up to and including Rattle & Hum. Purchased Achtung Baby and was like: WTF?? Chucked that piece of junk out I was so disappointed. Everything they've done since has been tripe. Still have and listen to their pre-Achtung stuff to this day though.
This is difficult for me to read... But I respect your opinion.

Achtung Baby is one of the greatest albums ever written IMO.

I hate Dave Grohl and Pikachu.

image.php

Briarios

Anyone calling The Beatles overrated has zero understanding of the history of pop music. It's a bit stunning the influence they had and still have.

My vote for overrated, and I even kind of like them, is Coldplay.

The Beatles suck giant donkey balls, everyone knows that Herman's Hermits are the true expression of musical genius.

The Beatles, more like the Shitles, y'know cuz there shit right!?

TheJoRu

Overrated? Everyone keeps telling me how "crap" they are; I have to constantly defend myself if I speak of them in a positive light, in nearly all kinds of conversations I've had.

I would advise anyone who are currently not into them to go further than just their most popular songs, that you've obviously been overexposed to if you hate them so much. Their singles tend to be, in my opinion, among the worst on every album (apart from "Stay (Faraway So Close)", which is a great song).

Their music is so much more than With or Without You, One, Beautiful Day etc.

That was my reaction at first when I got Achtung Baby especially coming off Joshua Tree album but after repeated listening (thanks to my commute at the time I learn to appreciate the album. Now if I have to rank their album, I would say Achtung is right up there among their best works.

And no I don't feel they are overrated. People just like to poo on them because they are popular. I still consider most of their music to be really alternative pop and rock.

Troy

Banned
Here's a tip - if the people in the band actually play their instruments, they're not the most overrated band in the world.

RoKKeR

Overrated? Everyone keeps telling me how "crap" they are; I have to constantly defend myself if I speak of them in a positive light, in nearly all kinds of conversations I've had.

I would advise anyone who are currently not into them to go further than just their most popular songs, that you've obviously been overexposed to if you hate them so much. Their singles tend to be, in my opinion, among the worst on every album (apart from "Stay (Faraway So Close)", which is a great song).

Their music is so much more than With or Without You, One, Beautiful Day etc.
Such is the state of being a U2 fan on the Internet.

Anyone calling The Beatles overrated has zero understanding of the history of pop music. It's a bit stunning the influence they had and still have.

No-one in their right mind would deny that The Beatles were an influential band. How does that stop them being over-rated?

No-one in their right mind would deny that The Beatles were an influential band. How does that stop them being over-rated?

It's kinda hard to overrate the most important thing. That would be properly rating it.

I don't know. They got a lot of hate from the get-go, basically people called them U2 wannabes from day 1.

Coldplay : Radiohead - Creed : Pearl Jam - The platonic ideal (in the minds of the label) of that particular archetype, in a label-controllable form.

Jimrpg

U2 gave a concert this week near where I live, so I have to hear from hysterical fans how great the band is. Bugger off. One isn't even that great of a song. Bono is a proper twat too. I can die happy if I never have to listen to his voice again, but I won't because apparently One is one of the greatest songs mankind has ever produced. And who calls himself The Edge? A fucking weirdo that's who.

Proper right OP. Can't stand U2 and Bono. The worst part was when they gave out that mediocre album on iTunes and forced everyone to download it.

U2 gave a concert this week near where I live, so I have to hear from hysterical fans how great the band is. Bugger off. One isn't even that great of a song. Bono is a proper twat too. I can die happy if I never have to listen to his voice again, but I won't because apparently One is one of the greatest songs mankind has ever produced. And who calls himself The Edge? A fucking weirdo that's who.

You are a person with an opinion.

Troy

Banned

The fact that they continue to influence new musicians over 30 years later is all you'd think one would need to know to not make the naive assertion that they're overrated.

Oppo

what I don't get is why people go so far out of their way to bag on them.

they are obviously popular and a huge band. that's undeniable.

if you don't care for them then just ignore it? that's what I don't get. there's tons of band I don't care for. I don't give them a moments thought.

the anti fans are ten times more annoying than the band.

Eidan

You're a sad little person.

U2 is great. Hate for them is odd and overblown.

U2NUMB

You should have went to the show.. they put on a DAMN good show... thats what turned me into a fan back in 1997. Went to a Popmart show since a friend had an extra ticket and it blew me away.

But no.. not even close to most overrated when they are still filling stadiums every night..

RoKKeR

You should have went to the show.. they put on a DAMN good show... thats what turned me into a fan back in 1997. Went to a Popmart show since a friend had an extra ticket and it blew me away.

But no.. not even close to most overrated when they are still filling stadiums every night..
Seriously OP, are you in Amsterdam? Torino? The show's opening the European leg have been absolutely incredible so far, some amazing crowds and great tweaks to the set list.

Firemind

I'm pretty sure we can all unite and say that Coldplay is the most overrated band of all time.
Of today? I think I can agree with that. Their first three albums were stellar. Their last three, not so much. Viva la Vida doesn't belong anywhere close to any list containing greatest anything.

It's kinda hard to overrate the most important thing. That would be properly rating it.

Are we talking about the quality of the music though? Even if The Beatles were the most important band ever, that still doesn't mean they necessarily produced music good enough for the reverance in which they are held.

The importance or influence of your work does not guarantee its quality.

EDIT: ^ I'm 47 tomorrow

Matriox

Are we talking about the quality of the music though? Even if The Beatles were the most important band ever, that still doesn't mean they necessarily produced music good enough for the reverance in which they are held.

The importance or influence of your work does not guarantee its quality.

This is like saying Wright brothers are overrated because their airplanes aren't as good as ours today. The materials and what they had to work with at the time was top notch and is what influenced what we have today as modern music.

By comparison, give me a few additional bands from when The Beatles was killing it that you would argue deserved more recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom