• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Valkyrie Profile any good?

Ifrit

The first game is a classic, wonderful 2d art and animation too.

Like others have said, two advices and why:

- Play it on hard: which it isn't actually hard, but you have more optional areas to explore in this mode and ends up being a more complete experience, easier to get the better ending and level up more in this mode

- Use a guide to get the good ending: You'll never figure it out on your own, since the game doesn't explain shit about how to get it, and it uses some obscure parameters to get it; also yeah some of the conditions are missable, so just follow a guide, it won't spoil anything really. Also, normal ending sucks ball

Enjoy it

Lime

Best JRPG for me

vplenneth_squarelps6j.gif

Narroo

There are only really two major issues to this game:

1: It's almost impossible to get the "real" ending without a guide. You will almost certainly get the lackluster "B" ending that throws out all the plot threads and then have to replay a 40 hour RPG just to get the true ending.

2: The game honestly feels half complete at times. Between no inventory sorting, magically disappearing plot threads, characters that suddenly appear in your party inventory, and character destroying glitches, it feels like it had a mild case of Xenogears.

Skilletor

Am I playing this game wrong? Because all I seem to ever do is hit enemies for large amounts of damage with long drawn out attack scenes, repeat ad-nauseum

It's not fun like most jrpgs. At least tri-ace made Radiata Stories so I'll forgive them.

I don't know if you're playing it wrong, but that's not how I play it. I come up with combos, high/low stuff to break guards, learned how to juggle to get lots of purple gems so my mages are never waiting. Strategies to not ever waste a turn.

But, you know, not every game is for everybody. So...yeah.

Ralemont

not me
The game does most things adequately, but where it shines is the character vignettes for the Einherjars. You will likely find the battle system a downgrade from 2's, though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The recruitment and delivery mechanics for the heroes likely does come across as obtuse and in many ways gets in the way of the pacing and progression. Going for the A ending scenario is a must for a more satisfying overall tale but practically does require a guide which wrecks the thrill of play and choice.

The tone is very somber and the pacing sluggish if the player cannot appreciate the mythology or situations as exposition stretches to extreme limits(particulary in the early hours). Still an absolute wonderful experience, but I'd find it difficult to go back today probably. Some of the best music and visuals seen on a PS1 disc though which helps the above at least.

Terra_Ex

It's one of the PS1's best jrpgs and probably my joint favourite jrpg series (tied with core SMT). It's more than good, it's fantastic. If Japan produced more titles of this calibre things wouldn't be in such a sorry state.

Khayam

Banned
Is VP2 available on anything else than PS2 ?

I loved the Lenneth episode on PSP, I don't know why VP2 didn't get the same treatment. I'd love to see it on Vita.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd say its within my top 3 RPGs of all time. Everything about the game was such a breath of fresh air, innovative with amazing graphics and my favorite Sakuraba soundtrack. Loved the vignettes for each of the Einherjar even if they are depressing as shit. Combat was addicting, love the huge and challenging dungeons (play on Hard!).

Only complaints are some strange quirks like being able to break treasure chests (I've done this accidentally a few too many times) and really obtuse requirements to get the best ending.

2 was great but I wasn't as into it as I was the first game for whatever reason. And I even enjoyed the DS SRPG a whole great deal. But damn I would kill for a VP3.

Ferrio

Banned
Oh and if you play VP1 make sure you play on hard mode. It's actually easier and more entertaining in the longrun.

Sophia

A number of design issues (including the backwards difficulty system, inability to skip cutscenes, and some obtuse requirements for the ending) are the only thing that prevent it from being my favorite RPG on the PS1

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

1: It's almost impossible to get the "real" ending without a guide. You will almost certainly get the lackluster "B" ending that throws out all the plot threads and then have to replay a 40 hour RPG just to get the true ending.

2: The game honestly feels half complete at times. Between no inventory sorting, magically disappearing plot threads, characters that suddenly appear in your party inventory, and character destroying glitches, it feels like it had a mild case of Xenogears.

The PSX has inventory sorting but they removed it in PSP.

Is VP2 available on anything else than PS2 ?

I loved the Lenneth episode on PSP, I don't know why VP2 didn't get the same treatment. I'd love to see it on Vita.

Isn't VP2 available in PSN?

Sohaim

Amazing game, it was one of the reason i fell in love with RPGs, i wonder if its ever coming to PSN Store because i would LOVE to play that and Crisis Core on my Vita, i would also love to play Silmeria on the PS4, btw i never played Star Ocean, is the game good?

batbeg

Isn't VP2 available in PSN?

Here's a little cheat sheet I use to determine if a Square-Enix game is on the PSN.

1. Is it a Final Fantasy? If [Yes], then it is. If [No], then no it is not.

Yes I know there's other games from SE but I'm just pissed about many great titles NOT on PSN, particularly the Valkyrie Profile titles and Brave Fencer Musashi

Sohaim

Here's a little cheat sheet I use to determine if a Square-Enix game is on the PSN.

1. Is it a Final Fantasy? If [Yes], then it is. If [No], then no it is not.

Yes I know there's other games from SE but I'm just pissed about many great titles NOT on PSN, particularly the Valkyrie Profile titles and Brave Fencer Musashi

does anyone actually knows WHY VP:Lenneth and Silmeria are not on the PSN Store?

I'm about 3 hours in (PSP version), and I don't know guys. I'm trying to like it and find that spark people found in this game but I'm finding it very very boring

The soundtrack isn't anything special, except for the battle victory theme. The story seems non existant other than the mini stories of the characters. Game feel's very sluggish, combat is decent.

I'll give it the atmosphere at least, really feels like a gloomy world.

Narroo

It's okay, but feels half finished. And getting the true ending is ridiculous for a 40+ hour game with no new game plus. If you decide to play it, look up how to get the A Ending, otherwise you'll get a ridiculously anti-climatic non-ending that you can't fix.

Narroo

It's okay, but feels half finished. And getting the true ending is ridiculous for a 40+ hour game with no new game plus. If you decide to play it, look up how to get the A Ending, otherwise you'll get a ridiculously anti-climatic non-ending that you can't fix.

....wait a second.....have I been here before?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its a classic, great game. I played PS1 version and PSP version...just amazing

Skilletor

VP isn't a 40+ hour game.

And there's incentive to replay. Every difficulty offers different dungeons and recruitable characters.

But, yeah, I agree, getting the good ending is very obtuse.

B.K.

The character stories are REALLY boring. Valkyrie Profile is the only game I've ever fallen asleep while playing.

Man this getting bumped is reminding me I can't wait for Indivisible.

I'm about 3 hours in (PSP version), and I don't know guys. I'm trying to like it and find that spark people found in this game but I'm finding it very very boring

The soundtrack isn't anything special, except for the battle victory theme. The story seems non existant other than the mini stories of the characters. Game feel's very sluggish, combat is decent.

no u

Mephala

This is still a very good game but some design choices just aren't as accepted these days. For one the fact that the better endings are hidden behind obscure requirements that is difficult to obtain without a guide means you will almost definitely get the lesser endings which result in less content to play and less story to understand.

The game's combat and animations are still amazing. Mechanically this is a very unpolished gem but it was still fun to play for me once i worked it out.

In a way the design for progression is almost Souls-like without the user friendliness of instant resets at bonfires. You can play through most of the game without really realising you've messed up the requirements of the better ending.

I still think it is worth playing if you have an interest in it.

Skilletor

Always thought about playing it.

Use a guide? Never mind.

I played it my first several times without a guide. Didn't even know there was a hidden ending. Didn't feel like it was anticlimactic.

The game is immensely replayable. It's 20-25 hours long, every difficulty adds new recruitable characters and dungeons. The gameplay is amazing, the dungeons are awesome with some cool platforming and great puzzles. It's totally unlike anything available today (save VP2. Which, imo, has the better gameplay, but worse dungeons).

Can't wait until Indivisible.

This is still a very good game but some design choices just aren't as accepted these days. For one the fact that the better endings are hidden behind obscure requirements that is difficult to obtain without a guide means you will almost definitely get the lesser endings which result in less wallet to play and less story to understand.

The game's combat and animations are still amazing. Mechanically this is a very unpolished gem but it was still fun to play for me once i worked it out.

In a way the design for progression is almost Souls-like without the user friendliness of instant resets at bonfires. You can play through most of the game without really realising you've messed up the requirements of the better ending.

I still think it is worth playing if you have an interest in it.

Sucks we don't have the internet now and have to use those 99c a minute help lines unlike back in the day. :(

mhayes86

I enjoyed it a lot. VP2 is significantly more challenging and can be tedious, but I find VP1 to be very approachable for first timers and replays. The music is great, the sprite art beautiful, and the gameplay quite fun. Echoing others, use a spoiler free guide if you want the best ending.

This thread reminded me that I need to play this after really enjoying the demo to Indivisible. Tried many years ago and stopped because I was a stupid child.

I normally despise guides, but doing a first playthrough and then looking at a guide, or just using the guide alone, is worth the annoyance of being told what to do for a game like this. Just do it. This game is too good, the gameplay is too fun and rewarding to master, the music is just freaking amazing. This really is a JRPG that all fans of the genre, especially those that love beautiful sprite animation or those that like reaction style turn based combat ala Paper Mario, owes to themselves to at least try. It's just SOOO good, and very unique.

I normally despite guides, but doing a first playthrough and then looking at a guide, or just using the guide alone. Just do it. This game is too good, the gameplay is too fun and rewarding to master, the music is just freaking amazing. This really is a JRPG that all fans of the genre, especially those that love beautiful sprite animation or those that like reaction style turn based combat ala Paper Mario, owes to themselves to at least try. It's just SOOO good, and very unique.

Yup. I've beaten it more than any other JRPG i've played (6 times). The soundtrack really is god-like. Motoi's best work by far!

tumblr_nlxsovMF031s9677oo1_500.gif

tumblr_m38gpdBdI01qeumowo1_500.gif

Valkyrie.gif

28-PWUMozu.gif

Why didn't you just start your own thread instead of bumping someone else's should I play from almost 2 years ago?

OnFire331

Yeah, it's pretty good. And it's probably the only Tri-Ace game to have a good story too.

That's probably the one thing more tragic than the fates of the einherjar. While the Japanese VO isn't perfect, there's a huge gulf between it and the English one. (It's immediately apparent in the opening sequence I linked to.) Some of the awkwardly phrased translations don't help, either.

Both sound equally awful to be honest but at least the music, spritework and art make up for it.

Top Bottom