• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Zelda: Spirit Tracks really coming this Dec. 07? The least hyped zelda in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Huh, I'm agreeing with duckroll, how curious.

Zelda doesn't need hype (that's why it's fucking Zelda!). I loved PH so getting its sequel asap is a no-brainer. :D

Amir0x

Banned
I can swear we had a similar thread about this a little while ago. Seems like deja vu almost.

But yeah, same song and dance. Love Zelda, really didn't enjoy Phantom Hourglass that much at all. A first for the series for me. So, on a personal level, it is the least hyped Zelda for me.

It'll still sell well, though, not that this is an indication of quality. I'm forcing myself to buy it because it's ZELDA, one of my favorite series. I have to play it to know for myself the truth!

zigg

Scrow said:
it really was an excellent Zelda game... until i had to go through that damn ocean temple for the hundredth time. i never finished it because of that, despite being very close to the end.

Yeah, I willingly went down there several times after I beat it to try to go for a 00:00 time. It's not universally loved by any stretch, but I thought it was pretty great.

I don't expect a NSMBW-level push from Nintendo, but it will be next month's Nintendo Power cover story. So perhaps there will be more info and such released in a few weeks, akin to how we hadn't heard squat about NSMBW for so long.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I can swear we had a similar thread about this a little while ago. Seems like deja vu almost.

But yeah, same song and dance. Love Zelda, really didn't enjoy Phantom Hourglass that much at all. A first for the series for me. So, on a personal level, it is the least hyped Zelda for me.

It'll still sell well, though, not that this is an indication of quality. I'm forcing myself to buy it because it's ZELDA, one of my favorite series. I have to play it to know for myself the truth!

Maybe we can cry together during multiplayer again.

You were crying too, right?

I was a bit apprehensive about the Phantom hourglass because of it being entirely controlled with the stylus but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I wouldn't mind if they kept the control scheme for the Spirit tracks.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
personal handheld zelda cycle:

- start playing new handheld zelda
- marathon new handheld zelda in roughly a week
- afterward, say to self, "oh, that was pretty good"
- 3 months later, something makes me remember handheld zelda
- sudden unexplainable love of handheld zelda has had time to set in, prompting countless replays

Razien

Banned
I just want, for god's sake, MUSIC! And not that crap we got in PH. I mean, it wasn't just bad, but it GODDAMN REPETITIVE! The same 5s loop of boring sounds for EVERY SINGLE DAMN DUNGEON! Seriously, I don't even care for Nintendo being cheaper then they used to be, but this is TOO MUCH! Third parties are using much bigger cartridges with orchestrated songs for much less known/brand new IPs, so it means that costs aren't that much bigger for a franchise as huge as Zelda.

Jonnyram

I loved PH. Looking forward to this too. I'm kind of hoping the train thing will be a bit more fun than the boat, but we'll see. When's it out in Japan anyway? 23rd Dec? Shit, probably won't be able to get it before my flight to the UK. Nooooo. I love Zelda games on flights too :(

GCX

I think we'll see a lot of new media a few weeks before release, like with NSMBW right now.

There's not much to say about the game itself since we've seen so little. I'm expecting a better game than PH but that's just because there just can't be another Temple of the Ocean King. Right? Right?

And the music better be as good as in the GDC trailer.

[Nintex]

Because this is released on december 7th in Europe, I think I'll be able to get this on 5 or even 4 december because of Sinterklaas. I didn't like PH, so I'll wait for reviews/impressions before I'll get it.

GCX

Magypsy23 said:
I hope Europe doesn't get the horrible NA boxart.
spirittracks.jpg

I quess that's the box art for the regular edition too.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I loved PH. Looking forward to this too. I'm kind of hoping the train thing will be a bit more fun than the boat, but we'll see. When's it out in Japan anyway? 23rd Dec? Shit, probably won't be able to get it before my flight to the UK. Nooooo. I love Zelda games on flights too :(

Can't you order the US one and get it before you leave?

Dubble

TBH, I love trains so I really can't wait for Phantom Choo-Choo (as I've been calling it) to come out. :)

Hype's been minimal but I think it'll be fun.

rhino4evr

I think PH was a lot of fun, but had flaws. I'm definitely excited to play this. If they expand the regualr dungeons and remove the timed dungeons I think the game will fair better. I really enjoyed the stylus controls, I think they worked really well considering.

Neomoto

No hype is I think a combination of Nintendo not showing anything at all since that one trailer (or have I missed it?) and it being so similar to Phantom Hourglass (based on that one trailer).

I thought PH was an excellent game though, and it's Zelda so I'm getting this no doubt.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
duckroll said:
Hey, I'm all for both versions. I'm just pointing out that people going "oh no one cares anymore because PH sucked" are pretty much just talking to themselves. :D

I think "no one" is referring to "hardcore gamers" or more specifically people who post here.

RetroMG

My twelve-year-old nephew is very excited. Seriously, he talks about little else than how much he wants this game. And I always kind of have to bite my tongue because I think it's going to be lousy.

faridmon

i got PH for £15, when Woolworth was doing sales during its close up. am not paying more than that for ST since i didn't like PH and haven't still completed.
its awesome until you get to that bloody dungeon. every time.ugh.

Teknoman

As long as there are actual giant bosses/bosses that pose a challenge, and a decent soundtrack...I should be there.

Kodiak said:
everyone who is saying "will buy but will hate self"
how about try "will not buy" ?
I'll do this this time!
AniHawk said:
Not an option when it comes to Zelda.

Unless it's not published by Nintendo.
That's what I did with PH thought I played it on Games Convention and hated the controls. The damn dungeon did the rest to my HATING

Perhaps I'll buy it later on when it's 10 bucks :) But I can't think of a game which series I like where I ever had fewer interest! :(

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The Zelda series (particularly on handhelds) has been creatively bankrupt for a while, and it's clear that Nintendo is unable or unwilling to deliver anything as good as Link's Awakening. Everyone--even the fans--know what Spirit Tracks is going to be like. It'll have a slightly tweaked but still very stale basic formula, some decent puzzles, terrible story/characters, and some questionable design decisions.

OMG Aero

Kodiak said:
everyone who is saying "will buy but will hate self"

how about try "will not buy" ?
Seriously, the people in this thread who are saying they will hate it but buy it because it's Zelda can't complain about whether or not the DS Zeldas are bad because they are the ones funding them.

zigg

duckroll said:
Guess I'm a casual gamer then. I'm happy to be one! :D

*fist bump*

Chairman Yang said:
The Zelda series (particularly on handhelds) has been creatively bankrupt for a while, and it's clear that Nintendo is unable or unwilling to deliver anything as good as Link's Awakening. Everyone--even the fans--know what Spirit Tracks is going to be like. It'll have a slightly tweaked but still very stale basic formula, some decent puzzles, terrible story/characters, and some questionable design decisions.

Likely, sure. But we literally know so very little about this game right now, who knows? It could be the next Majora's Mask and we'd not discover it till we opened the package at this rate. :lol

Somnid

PH had problems but it was a nice new direction for the series. All they have to do here is make it better. I'm not hyped but I've set aside money to get it day 1.

I also figured if GAF both likes games with trains and Zelda they'd like a Zelda with trains a lot more than they do.

Razien

Banned
faridmon said:
i got PH for £15, when Woolworth was doing sales during its close up. am not paying more than that for ST since i didn't like PH and haven't still completed.
its awesome until you get to that bloody dungeon. every time.ugh.

The
almost
last boss is awesome, you have to see it. just run through the dungeon (the game is pretty easy anyway) and get over with it. It is worth it.

Aru said:
I'm not hyped at all.

PH was disappointing. I want a classic control option for movement and sword attack. And seeing Link driving a train makes me want to puke.

Well, that won't prevent me from trying the game (and maybe finishing it) but I have pretty low expectations.

Same here. The Temple of the Ocean King completely ruined Phantom Hourglass for me, but even without it, it would have been one of my least favourite Zelda games. Any game in which you need the DS' touch screen to move around is automatically off to a very bad start. Too many games shoehorn the DS' touch screen functionality in when it's not needed, and Phantom Hourglass is one of the worst offenders. Hell, there's also a part where you have to literally SHOUT into the mic to buy something you need from from someone. I was on a train in public, so I thought "fuck this shit", switched it off, and haven't played it since. Traded it in soon after, so I doubt I ever will, either.

I will not be bothering with Spirit Tracks, unless I get the opportunity to play somebody else's copy, and it turns out to surprise me.

Also, no handheld Zelda has come CLOSE to being anywhere near as good as Link's Awakening.

Ben2749 said:
Same here. The Temple of the Ocean King completely ruined Phantom Hourglass for me, but even without it, it would have been one of my least favourite Zelda games. Any game in which you need the DS' touch screen to move around is automatically off to a very bad start. Too many games shoehorn the DS' touch screen functionality in when it's not needed, and Phantom Hourglass is one of the worst offenders. Hell, there's also a part where you have to literally SHOUT into the mic to buy something you need from from someone. I was on a train in public, so I thought "fuck this shit", switched it off, and haven't played it since. Traded it in soon after, so I doubt I ever will, either.

I will not be bothering with Spirit Tracks, unless I get the opportunity to play somebody else's copy, and it turns out to surprise me.

Also, no handheld Zelda has come CLOSE to being anywhere near as good as Link's Awakening.

Dude you could have coughed into the mic or even just tapped the mic hole or something

I was at home so I was like "DUUUDE GIVE ME THE THING DUUUUUDE"

To me the Ocean Temple was the only dry part of PH and that wasn't even until well into the game. PH was the Zelda refresh i'd been waiting for since TP. The pacing was amazing, particularly for a handheld Zelda.

Spirit Tracks will be in my DS on release day.

zigg said:
*fist bump*

Likely, sure. But we literally know so very little about this game right now, who knows? It could be the next Majora's Mask and we'd not discover it till we opened the package at this rate. :lol

I'm sure they don't want New Super Mario Bros Wii to overshadow it. And Nintendo has a habit of doing BLITZED, last minute advertising.......

rhino4evr

Ben2749 said:

Once again..I think the stylus controls worked really well..and in no way would I consdier them "shoehorned" in.

However I do agree with the Microphone puzzles...I hate any portable game I have to talk to in a public pace. I usually just cough into my DS...but I still look stupid. My wife saw me do this once and said "Are you catching a cold or something?" :lol

gamergirly said:
I'm sure they don't want New Super Mario Bros Wii to overshadow it. And Nintendo has a habit of doing BLITZED, last minute advertising.......

I wouldn't say that. I'd say Nintendo has a habit of advertising large titles from before launch throughout the life of the title this gen. Games like Excitebots have an advertising life that lasts as long as they expect the sales to, say, inside of a month, while larger titles (Like Brain Age, Mario Kart, etc.) have continuous campaigns that can last up to months longer. It's one of the the keys to their evergreen strategy.

confused said:
Least interesting looking Zelda game since the CD-i

To be fair, the CD-i certainly looked interesting, in that sort of "what the hell is this crap" sort of way.

I would say I would wait for impressions, but I didn`t really like the first DS one, and everyone loved that one. I don`t know where to turn...

Maybe there will be a demo?

Josh7289

Zelda kinda turned bad with Twilight Princess and what's come since then.

Well, to be more clear, it's not "bad", but it is lacking that free spirit that it used to have.

Yaweee

I'd say Spirit Tracks isn't being hyped because so many people still haven't finished Phantom Hourglass. It's the first Zelda game that I've ever put down with no real intention of continuing. I just can't take another run through the Temple of the Ocean King.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Ben2749 said:

You know you can just blow to the mic?

The controls and puzzles were certainly the best part of the game, the problems I encountered were the lack of enemies and the shitty tower.

I also liked the Oracle games more than LA, but I loved all of the GBC Zeldas...
Josh7289 said:
Zelda kinda turned bad with Wind Waker and what's come since then.

Well, to be more clear, it's not "bad", but it is lacking that free spirit that it used to have.
fixed

DeaconKnowledge said:
I wouldn't say that. I'd say Nintendo has a habit of advertising large titles from before launch throughout the life of the title this gen. Games like Excitebots have an advertising life that lasts as long as they expect the sales to, say, inside of a month, while larger titles (Like Brain Age, Mario Kart, etc.) have continuous campaigns that can last up to months longer. It's one of the the keys to their evergreen strategy.

I was referring as to when their advertising usually starts. With Microsoft or Sony, you know a title is coming LONG before it gets released

darkwings

Banned
Yaweee said:
I'd say Spirit Tracks isn't being hyped because so many people still haven't finished Phantom Hourglass. It's the first Zelda game that I've ever put down with no real intention of continuing. I just can't take another run through the Temple of the Ocean King.

same here. PH is the first zelda I never finished. What a shame

Because we know what to expect. It won't be the next Link to the Past, Link's Awakening or even Four Swords so why even get excited? Nintendo needs some new creative directors on the Zelda team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom