• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy – “Great galloping galaxies!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoilers, otherwise this post would be mostly black bars.

I was at a bookstore one day and, on a whim, I decided to look into Asimov’s Foundation series. I had never read the series before, but I had certainly heard of it enough times. I knew the trilogy was the meat, but before I dipped my toes into that I decided start at the beginning. I walked out of the bookstore with Prelude to Foundation.

The prequel to the trilogy is, I think, a pretty good novel, and was an excellent way to familiarize myself with the universe. The further I got into the book, the more I read in one sitting. What mainly drove my interest was the continuous tease of learning the future history of this universe. What happened to Earth? Who was this robot renegade? Was Aurora the first colony found by man? Of course, not everything is answered – in fact, very little is revealed. The twists at the end were fantastic, though, and left me more than satisfied. Dors is a robot. Chetter Hummin is an ancient robot that looks out for humanity. None of which I saw coming. I knew as soon as I had finished the book I had to read more. At the very least, I wanted to see what elements of Prelude to Foundation would be incorporated into the trilogy. I knew PtF was written afterwards, but I still figured there might be some elements Asimov took from the trilogy and expanded upon in the sequels.

I looked on Amazon to see if there was any special editions I might find of the trilogy. And, as luck would have it, there was! Here’s a picture of it. I got it a couple of days later. It’s a really nice book. Hardcover, with its own string bookmark and the pages feel wonderful at the touch.

After reading the whole introduction – which, thankfully, wasn’t spoilery – I turned the page to experience a grand adventure.

Foundation

“Violence is the last refugee of the incompetent.” – Salvor Hardin

The first story, “The Encyclopedists,” is about Terminus and Salvor Hardin seizing power. From there, it follows Hardin as mayor in “The Mayors” where the balance of political power in the immediate region – that is, Terminus and the four kingdoms – shift dramatically towards Terminus. From there, the story reaches out to the Korellian Republic, just beyond the grasp of the decaying Empire.

The impression I got of the Galactic Empire is that it’s essentially the Roman Empire in space – a fantastic metaphor. Trantor was the Eternal World much like Rome was (is?) the Eternal City. Their declines are comparable, resulting from many factors occurring at once, and their demise ushers in a dark age. I think Asimov did a great job of conveying the reach and extent of the Empire.

Foundation and Empire

I. The General

“It seemed inevitable that the next danger the Foundation would have to face was the final lash of the dying Empire.”

Here, the scope of the story expands again: from the edge of the galaxy, Terminus, to the center cluster, Trantor. Asimov uses certain plot threads to help the galaxy feel lived in and interconnected, namely by visiting the descendants of past characters. Cleon I –> Cleon II, Onum Barr –> Ducem Barr, you get the idea. It was very effective for those purposes.

This was my least favorite of the two sections. To me it came off as another war but without a major interesting hook to it, or with a major character I really liked. Luckily the next section was more thrilling.

II. The Mule

“He has no other name than that of the Mule, a name reportedly applied by himself to himself, and signifying, by popular explanation, his immense physical strength and stubbornness of purpose.” – Captain Pritcher

Probably my favorite story of the entire series, if “Search by the Foundation” isn’t in consideration. The story builds interest slowly then skyrockets in enjoyability once Magnifico Giganticus is introduced.

A war soon starts between Kalgan and the Foundation. At this point, the Foundation has come out on top in all of its wars through extraordinary circumstances. The reader, if not baited into a false security, has to consider that, given everything before this war, the Foundation is likely to be victorious in this instance as well. So when the Mule does conquer the Foundation, not only does it jeopardize the immediate future, but carries with it a 30,000 year price tag: a heavy weight.

This moves the story into a lull as Bayta, Turan, Mis, and Giganticus flee from planet to planet in search of the fabled Second Foundation – at this point, the only hope to stop the Mule. They eventually settle on Trantor, and Mis stays in the Imperial Library to find the location. The location is almost revealed, but Bayta shoots Mis before he can say. What follows is probably the best twist in the book: that Magnifico Giganticus is, in fact, the Mule. What makes this plot twist overshadow all the others is that it not only has the effect of turning everything on its head, but make the Mule a much more sympathetic character. Bayta is the only one who has ever genuinely liked the Mule, so he left her alone, his decision-making blinded by affection shown towards himself. It shows he's fallible, and therefore more human.

And the end of this “chapter” leaves us there, on a low note. The Mule still has his power, and at this point, it doesn’t look like he can be stopped – aside from a fable.

Second Foundation

I. Search by the Mule

“It was not to be compared with the tightly controlled ‘Union of Worlds’ under the Mule, particularly during the era of the so-called Search…” – Encyclopedia Galactica

The first story of the third book resolves the Mule’s fate, resuming after a Converted Pritcher has failed to locate the Second Foundation at the other end of the galaxy (the scale of the story has again expanded). The Mule sends a later-to-be-revealed Second Foundationer, Channis, to assist Pritcher in his search. Channis leads Pritcher’s fleet to some obscure, backwater planets that don’t really hold any meaning. On these planets the Second Foundation conquers the Mule, in part due to their mental abilities.

I felt this was a cheap way to neuter the Mule’s threat to the galaxy and the Seldon Plan. As far as I can remember, there was no mention of the people of the Second Foundation having mental powers before the Mule’s fall from power. Yes, it said they were psychologists, but that doesn’t mean they had powers. So when it was revealed that they do have mental powers at just the right moment, it came off as clumsy and too convenient. “Oh, by the way, the Second Foundationers can do this, this, and this.”

II. Search by the Foundation

“She remembered a favorite line, and used it promptly. ‘Men are so stupid!’” – Arcadia, possibly my favorite character out of the trilogy.

What I really liked about this story was that it took the saviors of the first – citizens of the Second Foundation – and turned them into something not so pristine, more grey. Understandably, a large group of people possessing the mental powers that they have can pose a danger to the rest of the human population, so this story follows a group of scientists trying to eliminate the Second Foundation. On the other hand, the Second Foundation’s top priority is to ensure the success of the Seldon Plan, and this means taking action to eliminate the Foundation’s knowledge of them.

What really drove the story, and its interest to me, was the mystery of the Second Foundation’s location. I had considered three locations: Trantor, Terminus, or Earth. In the end it was Trantor, with an awesome twist that the farmers are the Second Foundationers.

I loved seeing weaseling her out of the dangerous situations she got herself into. She had to grow up fast, and Asimov made it clearly aware she was doing stuff she knew wasn't perfectly honest. I think reason why I enjoyed Arcadia so much was because she was the strongest female character of the entire trilogy.

And that’s probably the biggest level of criticism I can level at Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy: there is little-to-no female representation in the series at all. There are only two female characters you could argue are main characters, and very few play the role of significant, background characters. When it comes to the leaders of the Foundation, or any planet really, it’s always “gentlemen.” But I don’t hold too much against the book for that. A lot of it is a product of its time, just like the terms "hypernuclear," and the use of phrases like "Great galloping galaxies!" It's worth it, though. I found it fascinating that Asimov didn't end the trilogy with a definite answer on the success or failure of the Seldon Plan. (Though, judging by the Encyclopedia Galactica entries, they did succeed).

Not sure if I'll go on to read the other books in the series, but I'm glad to have read the trilogy. I really, really enjoyed it.

Also: kudos to anyone for reading all of this! :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Love the reveal of the Second Foundation right at the end of the Trilogy.

Definitely read Prelude to Foundation and then Forward the Foundation. There is a strong female character in them.

With regards to the Seldon plan, keep reading Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, even though they're not that great.

gdt

Read the robot series. In my opinion they tie together excellently. Favorite series.

The entire thing together i mean.

Also reading that will answer some questions you have.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
“Violence is the last refugee of the incompetent.” – Salvor Hardin

I really quote this more times than i can fathom.

Foundation is a rollercoaster of twists, and robbed me of a whole christmas with family. I HAD TO READ IT.

Anyway, you've hit the spot with the Roman Empire comparisons: It's actually kind-of-inspired to Gibson's Decline And Fall of The Roman Empire.

Like 1984, you get a hint of what's happened after that from the language itself; and the Forward \ Edge, if you want to read them. They're good stuff, but absolutely not at par with the original works.

The Elijah Baley stories (Robot cycle, starting with Caves of Steel) is nearly equally interesting.

Markster

My biggest gripe with Foundation's Edge was that it's twice as long as the original books, while being a single story (as opposed to multiple stories) so coming off the original trilogy the story frankly feels overly drawn out. I'd been warned that Foundation and Earth was... weird, so I never bothered to read it.

I did read Prelude, and I definitely enjoyed it more than Edge. I don't really agree with making Seldon such a major player in Empire politics, having preferred the "work in relative obscurity / hiding" methos set up in the first chapter. Knowing Seldon had all these wacky adventures and high powered acquaintances makes it a little less of an accomplishment...

Azih

It's been a very very long time since I read it, but I remember thinking a pretty major flaw with the premise of the books was Hari Seldon's First Foundation built by him with such a grand purpose and for all his psychohistory needed a man as accomplished and savvy as Salvor Hardin to actually protect it. Otherwise it would have been snuffed out. That's pretty random and what's the point of psychohistory then?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Read the robot series. In my opinion they tie together excellently. Favorite series.

The entire thing together i mean.

Also reading that will answer some questions you have.

Yes. Read the Foundation series and then the Robot's one. My mind was blown more than once.

I'm reading the Empire series now and it's... Meh. Stars like dust was kinda bad. Pebble in the Sky was nice. I still have to read The Currents of Space. I know they weren't part of the universe until Asimov decided they were.

And after that I'm going to read Prelude and Forward the Foundation, and I'll be done. But still, where the fuck did the robots go?!?!

BorkBork

It's been a very very long time since I read it, but I remember thinking a pretty major flaw with the premise of the books was Hari Seldon's First Foundation built by him with such a grand purpose and for all his psychohistory needed a man as accomplished and savvy as Salvor Hardin to actually protect it. Otherwise it would have been snuffed out. That's pretty random and what's the point of psychohistory then?

Perhaps things would have turned out the same even if someone incompetent was in charge?

I do like how Seldon just shows up in the archive after each crisis and goes, the solution was obvious! Hardin must have been like STFU old man, that was terrible!

ElFly

Oh man this series was so great. It's a shame the 80s sequels are completely different in tone and quality. Really wish Asimov had kept going for the 600 years that were left in the plan.

Faiz

Foundation is really what made me a Sci-Fi literature fan twenty years ago... I still go back and read them all every few years.

I always recommend to read Asimov's Robot and Foundation books in publishing order but, hey, whatever works best you is probably fine.

The Brin/Bear/Benford books... I hated them first, then I liked them. It felt like a post-mortem cash grab when they were published and that might be a little unfair. They're interesting in their way and I like the writers individually just the practice doesn't sit well.

Tablo

Asimov is brilliant, the Foundation Trilogy is incredible. Can't believe it took me a few years to read them after my dad told me they were fantastic. The golden standard in science fiction he pretty much started modern scifi!

Aight. I'll see about picking up the other books in the Foundation series, as well as the robot series.
I read the first Foundation novel and just couldn't get into it. I feel like I'm missing out. :(
It gets better the further you get into it.

I read the original Robot Series, then the 7 Foundation novels in plot order and finally End of Eternity. I loved that sequence and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read any of the works.

Shosai

Banned
The foundation prequel books featured some more prominent female leads. I don't know if they were done in response to criticism, as the prequels foundation novels were written decades later and served to tie together Asimov's Foundation and Robot universes.

They also served to cover up the Foundation trilogy's original failure to predict a future with computers. That was always funny to me. Anyway, Asimov's female characters always felt hokey and unrealistic, but compelling character writing was always his weakest trait. Still, one of my favorite authors and series

BorkBork

Oh man this series was so great. It's a shame the 80s sequels are completely different in tone and quality. Really wish Asimov had kept going for the 600 years that were left in the plan.

He publically admitted he didn't know where to take the story after the original trilogy. I think the decision he made in Edge and Earth is good,
that the Plan is flawed,
just the execution wasn't very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom