• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS uses chlorine gas against Peshmerga (Up: WSJ says mustard gas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
If groups like ISIS ever get a nuke, it will be from nations like Iran. You do know Iran is the leading state sponsor of terrorism right?

hwcfd2c.jpg

This is like saying the Armia Krajowa could get tank shipments from the Waffen SS.

Shredderi

It never ceases to amaze me how ISIS isn't still obliterated by the collective forces of the world. My tinfoil conclusion is that some super elite running the world wants this situation to escalate into something that will end up benefitting them through chain reactions that I couldn't even fathom right now.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
ISIS is sunni while Iran is a shia majority country. Iran would rather use nukes on itself than give them to ISIS.

They don't have to directly give them to ISIS. The point is that a nuclear Iran may not responsibly safeguard their nukes. Their ties to terrorism makes nuclear proliferation to terrorist groups much more likely to happen.

kess

I know the the US doesn't like using its air power for the benefit of the SAA, but Assad is more or less your run of the mill dictatorial asshole. ISIS are probably the biggest shitballs in the region since the Mongols.

It never ceases to amaze me how ISIS isn't still obliterated by the collective forces of the world. My tinfoil conclusion is that some super elite running the world wants this situation to escalate into something that will end up benefitting them through chain reactions that I couldn't even fathom right now.

It has frequently been shown that the world is willing to be pushed around by evil for quite a long time before hitting their breaking point.

cameron

US officials say it is mustard gas, not chlorine, that was used according to WSJ. http://news.yahoo.com/u-believes-islamic-state-likely-used-mustard-agent-214434401.html

Islamic State could have obtained the mustard agent in Syria, whose government admitted to having large quantities of the blistering agent in 2013, when it agreed to give up its chemical weapons arsenal, the newspaper reported.

"That makes the most sense," the Journal quoted a senior U.S. official as saying about the possibility that Islamic State obtained the mustard agent in Syria.

Islamic State could also have obtained the mustard agent in Iraq, the Journal reported.

It's ridiculous how easily this shit is obtained.

Velcro Fly

I don't know how the world isn't doing more

This is what happens when we waste our time and resources on fruitless quests like Iraq and then when something real and dangerous comes along everyone is weary to jump in.

So fucking worried about Iran when we need to be working with them to help eradicate this threat. Pig headed politicians only worried about being politicians and not being good citizens of the world. They'll blame Obama but none of them are doing enough.

I don't know how the world isn't doing more

This is what happens when we waste our time and resources on fruitless quests like Iraq and then when something real and dangerous comes along everyone is weary to jump in.

Destroying ISIS would help save Assad which would piss off pretty much everyone in Syria since Assad is slaughtering citizens at an insane rate so we'd probably have to dispose of Assad as well and install a new government while fighting off the remnants of Assad's army and ISIS post-war.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I know the the US doesn't like using its air power for the benefit of the SAA, but Assad is more or less your run of the mill dictatorial asshole. ISIS are probably the biggest shitballs in the region since the Mongols.

Assad has killed orders of magnitude more people that ISIS has. Not only that he facilitated the rise of ISIS to weaken the forces fighting against him.

Particularly grotesque to display this sentiment in a thread about chemical weapons use considering a week from now is the 2 year anniversary of Assad using Sarin to kill hundreds of civilians (and who has since made regular use of improvised chlorine weapons on urban centres).

Nesotenso

They don't have to directly give them to ISIS. The point is that a nuclear Iran may not responsibly safeguard their nukes. Their ties to terrorism makes nuclear proliferation to terrorist groups much more likely to happen.

Iran is never ever going to establish ties to Sunni leaning groups or the ones which had the backing of the Gulf Arab nations. They have a greater incentive than any one else to not see their hypothetical nukes fall into a sunni militia's hands.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I think its worth pointing out that as far as chemical weaponry goes chlorine is about the lowest down on the tier you can get. It's largely useless and relies more on the "omg ~chemical weapons!!!~ hysteria than being actually effective.
I'd rather someone bomb my neighbourhood with a shitty chlorine bomb than a large conventional truck bomb.

WTF are you talking about.

ISIS hates Shiites. Iran is a Shia country. That would never happen.

If anything, it's Pakistan that should be the concern.

7aged

Well in Saudi, the police will round up locals and force them to watch public executions to make a statement, and thats Saudi, the place we keep sending money to trade with.

That is complete bullshit.
Nobody has forced me or anyone to go see an execution and I don't know anyone who's seen one. You have to go out of your way to witness them and not many do.

Why would Iran even indirectly give a nuke to ISIS? ISIS and Iran are 180 degrees to each other. If you'd have said Hezbollah instead of ISIS your argument would have at least made sense.

antonz

Nuclear Weapons also have a fingerprint so to speak. Iran even if accidently let a weapon fall into terrorists hands would be ID'd as the source due to the fingerprint and considering how most view Iran it would likely be viewed as a deliberate attack. It is honestly in No Nations interest that such a device fall into the hands of a group that would use them

kess

CHEEZMO™;175348485 said:
Assad has killed orders of magnitude more people that ISIS has. Not only that he facilitated the rise of ISIS to weaken the forces fighting against him.

I didn't say Assad wasn't absolute shit-- he is. But I don't think ISIS would be particularly hesitant to use sarin if they got their hands on it. The US has done what it can do regarding Assad without further outside intervention.

goomba

Banned
The best way to beat ISIS would be to support syria and iran's fight against them. i feel the west is on the wrong side of the saudi arabia / iran cold war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom