• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isn't that Picross DS coming out this week? Why aren't you people talking about it?

nofi

yilmazz said:
I have the game and I loved it until the puzzles got bigger so that you have to scroll. I only tried the stylus controlls so far but from the point where you have this scroll icons etc. stylus controll is seriously broken. I finished 3 or 4 of the big puzzles and then never touched it again. :(

Use the d-pad controls, they're better for the larger puzzles and once you get used to them I prefer them for all puzzles.

Banned
stylus controls suck on this game, stick with the D Pad. Faster & more accurate, as you can draw in whole lines of blocks or X's in one go without the chance of a mistake.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
yilmazz said:
I have the game and I loved it until the puzzles got bigger so that you have to scroll. I only tried the stylus controlls so far but from the point where you have this scroll icons etc. stylus controll is seriously broken. I finished 3 or 4 of the big puzzles and then never touched it again. :(
Personally, I go with the combination d-pad/stylus controls. If you tap the d-pad after zooming into the puzzle, you can freely move the grid around with the stylus. To fill in boxes, hold up on the d-pad and draw with the stylus. To "x" out a box, just hold down on the d-pad while touching the screen.

The effect is somewhat similar to the mouse/keyboard combination in PC games. It works surprisingly well and becomes second nature after a puzzle or two.

jepense

666 said:
stylus controls suck on this game, stick with the D Pad. Faster & more accurate, as you can draw in whole lines of blocks or X's in one go without the chance of a mistake.
No, the stylus is much faster on smaller grids and at least for me more precise when doing things quickly. To use the stylus effectively on larger puzzles, you need to either use the top screen a lot or zoom frequently. If these seem too disorienting, then use the button controls. I personally really like to use the stylus even on the bigger puzzles. Also, you need to use the D-pad to choose between zooming, marking and X's when using the stylus, otherwise it's a pain.

Whimsical Phil said:
I've worked my way through your first few custom puzzles. You do some good work!
Thanks. :D I have more than ten so I'll change the ones available at some point. :Motorbass had some nice ones as well. (Can't remember what others have, sorry.)

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
yilmazz said:

Use button control. It's awesome trust me. A to place a square, B to place a cross. You can also drag it and do multiple squares just like the stylus. Plus there is no annoying zoom.

Thanks for the reminder. Picross does look like it's gonna be a serious time waster.

...my distraction is trying to get my hands on Glory Days 2... *drool*

jgkspsx

I hate the large-grid stylus controls.

I duplicated the final puzzle from Mario Picross, if anyone wants it. I loathe Nintendo's idea of an online service.

koam

Okay i got my copy yesterday and played it last night. My biggest grip with the game is that I have to buy 2 damn copies. WTF Nintendo, WTF? How hard would it have been to include 3 game slots to choose from. The way it's set up now, i can't possibly share this game with my girl, we'd need our own copies. You can't share your daily training or whatever and there's no way of knowing who has the best time. Worst part about it, when you solve a puzzle it shows a mini-version of what the puzzle is.

Besides that, the game is mad fun. I love the rumble effect, really works well. I'm using the stylus mode for now but i'm still at the 10x10 puzzles.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
koam said:
Okay i got my copy yesterday and played it last night. My biggest grip with the game is that I have to buy 2 damn copies. WTF Nintendo, WTF? How hard would it have been to include 3 game slots to choose from. The way it's set up now, i can't possibly share this game with my girl, we'd need our own copies. You can't share your daily training or whatever and there's no way of knowing who has the best time. Worst part about it, when you solve a puzzle it shows a mini-version of what the puzzle is.

Besides that, the game is mad fun. I love the rumble effect, really works well. I'm using the stylus mode for now but i'm still at the 10x10 puzzles.

Although I agree that it's stupid there isn't multiple files, there is a way around it. If someone else is sharing the game with you and they are doing a puzzle that's already solved, all they have to do is avoid looking at the top screen. I mean, Nintendo isn't exactly forcing you to look up there...

:lol Yes, that's the best I've got.

BuzzJive

koam said:

There's only one game slot? Dang. My wife is going to beat all the puzzles before I even play it. She had it for hours last night...

jgkspsx

Yeah, that bugged me. It's almost worth buying two copies, but it's a disappointment anyway. The $20 price is explained!

jgkspsx

It's bullshit that you see the solutions every time. Why no random puzzle? Mario Picross included it. Are you sure it's not in there?

warthog

Picross is cool but the big puzzles that don't fit the screen are quite a pain in the ass because of controls. I gave up on it because it really started to annoy me, but I'll give it another go - d-pad this time.

MikeOxbig

I've made a few nice ones based on Nintendo characters. My friend code is 536977 646980. I'll add all the others in this thread.

Whimsical Phil

warthog said:
Picross is cool but the big puzzles that don't fit the screen are quite a pain in the ass because of controls. I gave up on it because it really started to annoy me, but I'll give it another go - d-pad this time.
I'm tellin' ya...try the d-pad + stylus route. It works extremely well.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
warthog said:

When you use the Dpad, you never have to zoom in and can look at the whole puzzle at once.

Dpad is also a much better control method.

Here's my friend code for Picross. I am adding everyone now, so please add me. Everyone here who gave a code will also receive a PM from me to add me on.

Mine: 021581-527674

Also, if you happened to have gotten Mario Strikers, check out the US Friend Code Exchange.

I've been blowing through Picross mode. Why are there no 20x20 puzzles in the main game? Or no downloadable classic puzzle packs?

I've downloaded Phil's puzzles and put one up too. He's the only person on my list right now. I've also added everyone new. Here's a list of all the friend codes in the thread:

:Motorbass 373761 637824
BGBW 421006 638285
brandonnn 116064 515938

jepense 210552 929814
JonathanEx 296455 127967
meppi 262093 126553

Neo Child 051639 479001
nli10 339401 956281
radjago 004401 591670

Whimsical Phil 498321 934789
jgkspsx 515502 801741
TelemachusD 399538 748778

MikeOxbig 536977 646980
Vex 528387 791955
MiketheBSG 021581 527674

Edit: ↓↓ Added you too. ↓↓

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
added all you peoples, and adding my friend code to the list

BGBW 421006 638285
brandonnn 116064 515938

jepense 210552 929814
JonathanEx 296455 127967
meppi 262093 126553

Neo Child 051639 479001
nli10 339401 956281
radjago 004401 591670

jgkspsx 515502 801741

MikeOxbig 536977 646980
Vex 528387 791955
MiketheBSG 021581 527674

beelzebozo 107481 011019

Tobor

Finally picked this up today! I'm addicted to this game hard.

I added everybody and tacked my number to the list. Can't wait to see all of your puzzles.

BGBW 421006 638285
brandonnn 116064 515938

jepense 210552 929814
JonathanEx 296455 127967
meppi 262093 126553

Neo Child 051639 479001
nli10 339401 956281
radjago 004401 591670

jgkspsx 515502 801741

MikeOxbig 536977 646980
Vex 528387 791955
MiketheBSG 021581 527674

beelzebozo 107481 011019

Tobor 120365 914504

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i downloaded your puzzle telemachus!

also added you tobor. trying to figure out how to upload these two puzzles i made

Whimsical Phil

My fiancee just picked up a copy of the game, too. She's keen on downloading some custom puzzles, and she'd really appreciate it if everyone could add her to your friends list, too.

Here's her Friend Code: 279279 - 708309

And I've added everyone else on the thread so far. So if you've not added me yet, please do!

Well, I shelled out $20.00 for this (and $10.00 for Rayman 3 on PS2), and I'm really enjoying it. Anyone find going from 10x10 to 15x15 disorienting, though?

Anyway, now I wonder how I should spend my remaining $40.00...

I'm considering getting FireRed and Mario Kart Super Circuit and putting the rest of it to Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations.

Alright everyone!

I've added all of you to my Picross roster. Please contact me at "House Joseph" to further extend communications!

Vexidus

This game is awesome, beelz I loved your
octorok
puzzle! Teemu I downloaded all of yours and hope to do some soon, I just added a bunch more of you to my friends list and I'll check out any puzzles you've added!

I added a puzzle myself for you ppl to check out!

Man I haven't even finished the easy puzzles in regular mode, there is just so much to do! I tried the competitive online mode and got my ass kicked twice, I'm not ready for that! :lol

Doing these things is so relaxing, I enjoy doing them while listening to podcasts, it even beats Sudoku for that! It also took Clubhouse Games' throne as my laying-in-bed-podcast-listening gaming, hehe..

So awesome! :D

jgkspsx

I added everyone after me in the thread.

I also made an original 20x20 musical puzzle. What are the star ratings, difficulty? 'Cause there's no way it's four-stars hard.

jepense

Added everyone.

jgkspsx said:
What are the star ratings, difficulty? 'Cause there's no way it's four-stars hard.

It's difficulty. Of course, since it's determined by the program, it will only depend on how difficult it is for the algorithm that checks that the solution is unambiguous.

warthog

Whimsical Phil said:
I'm tellin' ya...try the d-pad + stylus route. It works extremely well.

I'll definitely try it.

I discovered Picross as a kid on the original gameboy. It was a bit by accident though : I wanted this game for my birthday thinking it was some kind of motocross game featuring mario & co. Don't ask me why. In my defense : it was pre-internet and I selected games based on the cover. The cover not featuring anything related to motocross should have been a clue, but hell...
Anyway, the first moment I played this game I was like "wtf is this crap, where are the bikes?", but I soon learned to love this game. Perfect game for an handheld.

So far this touching story...

dogbowl

TelemachusD said:
I've been blowing through Picross mode. Why are there no 20x20 puzzles in the main game? Or no downloadable classic puzzle packs?

There are lots of 20x20 puzzles in there.
Once you open up Levels 9 and 10, you'll have 25x20 puzzles.

Tobor

Beelz, the
octorok
was excellent! Nice work. :)

I'm going to hopefully get to everyones puzzles, and make my own.

jgkspsx

I uploaded a couple. One original plus the last puzzle from Mario Picross. Do I have to be online for you to get them?

I got Motorbass's and Teemu's. (Who's Teemu?) How many people have posted puzzles?

Slacker

Adding everyone now. Mine is at the bottom:

BGBW 421006 638285
brandonnn 116064 515938

jepense 210552 929814
JonathanEx 296455 127967
meppi 262093 126553

Neo Child 051639 479001
nli10 339401 956281
radjago 004401 591670

jgkspsx 515502 801741

MikeOxbig 536977 646980
Vex 528387 791955
MiketheBSG 021581 527674

beelzebozo 107481 011019
Tobor 120365 914504
Gamecocks625 086006 133273

Slacker 043056 404381

jgkspsx

I added you. Hop onto puzzle exchange when you connect - I don't think people on the puzzle side can see people on the Vs. side, and vice-versa.

I hate WFC. It couldn't be much more broken if they tried. Wait, they did.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so cool you guys are liking that one that i worked on another classic nes themed puzzle and just uploaded it. it's the new 15x15 two star difficulty.

enjoy

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I need some strategy advice. I'm working on the second tier of normal now, 15x15 puzzles.

Basic starting strategy would be helpful. Do you guys just look for the big numbers and guess where they may start and end? Is there something obvious I'm missing as to ascertaining where pixels most likely exist?

I generally try to get long lines at first, then try for the top/bottom/sides and build from there. However, there are many times where I simply have no idea where a pixel is going to be, and there doesn't seem to be any move I can make that isn't a guess.

Whimsical Phil said:
Personally, I go with the combination d-pad/stylus controls. If you tap the d-pad after zooming into the puzzle, you can freely move the grid around with the stylus. To fill in boxes, hold up on the d-pad and draw with the stylus. To "x" out a box, just hold down on the d-pad while touching the screen.

The effect is somewhat similar to the mouse/keyboard combination in PC games. It works surprisingly well and becomes second nature after a puzzle or two.

That's exactly how I play. It's flicking the screne around is surprisingly similar to using the iPhone. I'm absolutely loving this game, and especially considering it's one of the best travel games EVER.

Bendelvio

FlyinJ said:
Ok, I need some strategy advice. I'm working on the second tier of normal now, 15x15 puzzles.

Basic starting strategy would be helpful. Do you guys just look for the big numbers and guess where they may start and end? Is there something obvious I'm missing as to ascertaining where pixels most likely exist?

I generally try to get long lines at first, then try for the top/bottom/sides and build from there. However, there are many times where I simply have no idea where a pixel is going to be, and there doesn't seem to be any move I can make that isn't a guess.

I'm not sure if this is a technique that you are unaware of, but one strategy that I employ is to look for the big numbers because there will usually be some overlap between the extremum values.

As an example, let's say that one of the columns has the number '10' above it. Now, the two extreme cases are the case in which the first 10 boxes are filled-in and the case in which the last 10 boxes are filled-in. For a 15 X 15 puzzle, this means that these two cases would overlap in the middle 5 boxes. Therefore, the middle 5 boxes must be filled in because there is no possible 10 consecutive box solution in which the middle 5 boxes would not be filled-in. I hope that makes sense, I apologize for not including diagrams to elucidate the strategy.

koam

anyone having probs connecting to the servers?

A good place for hints is wikipedia, type "picross" there. Don't look for this game, look for the main picross story.

Top Bottom