• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel approves new law to jail child 'terrorists' as young as twelve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel approves new law to jail child 'terrorists' as young as twelve

The Israeli parliament has approved a new law allowing child "terrorists" as young as 12 to be jailed.

Politicians supporting the Youth Bill said it was “borne of necessity” amid a wave of attacks by Palestinians in Israel and the West Bank.

Children as young as 13 have been shot dead by security forces while allegedly attempting stabbing attacks and the Israeli mission to the UN said juveniles were responsible for 47 “acts of terrorism” since September.

The new law, which passed its second and third readings in a Knesset committee on Tuesday, allows authorities to imprison minors under the age of 14 for crimes such as murder, attempted murder and manslaughter.

It was opposed by 16 politicians, with support from 32 MKs and one abstention.

Courts will be allowed to postpone prison transfers and shorten or cancel jail sentences as part of the legislation, which called for a “more aggressive approach”.

The introduction to the bill reads: “The seriousness that we attach to terror and acts of terror that cause bodily injury and property damage, and the fact that these acts of terror are being carried out by minors, demands a more aggressive approach including toward minors who are convicted.”

The law was proposed by Anat Berko, a member of Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party, who said: “This law was borne of necessity.

“We have been experiencing a wave of terror for quite some time.

“A society is allowed to protect itself. To those who are murdered with a knife in the heart it does not matter if the child is 12 or 15.

“Perhaps this law will also do something to protect these children from being used to slaughter people.”

According to the Israeli mission at the UN, 47 of the “acts of terrorism” committed over the last 11 months have been carried out by Palestinian minors and 22 Israeli children have been attacked.

Military law, which is applied in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, already allows the imprisonment of 12-year-olds and has drawn concern by the UN and human rights groups.

The Israeli organisation B'Tselem was among those criticising the new law.

“Rather than sending them to prison, Israel would be better off sending them to school where they could grow up in dignity and freedom not under occupation,” a spokesperson said.

“Imprisoning such young minors denies them the chance of a better future.”

The Knesset’s approval came hours after Israel was criticised in a meeting of the UN Security Council on children in armed conflict.

Venezuela’s representative Rafael Ramirez called on Israel to “fulfil obligations under international humanitarian law, including the principle of proportionality”, while Israeli diplomats hit back by condemning Hamas’ use of children in Gaza.

Since September last year, 34 Israelis and two American citizens have been killed in Palestinian attacks, while more than 200 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli security forces in the same period.

Officials said the majority were carrying out or attempting attacks, while the rest were killed in clashes with Israeli forces.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-approves-new-law-to-jail-palestinian-child-terrorists-as-young-as-12-human-rights-stabbings-a7170641.html

Not only are they illegally occupying land, they also jail and shoot 12 year old kids now.

Binabik15

Trump would not only condone it like the usual US government stance on Israel but openly congratulate it and push for it in the States.

Would be a match made in hell, err, heaven.

Oppress them until they lash out, then cry terrorism. Oh well, as long as the US supports it, it'll work.

Sadly this.
But stirring the pot and keeping the situation in the middle-east from de-escalating is what gets Netanjahu re-elected over and over again. So nothing will change and things will only get worse.

What happened to child terrorists before the law? I can not imagine there is a shortage of adult Palestinians wanting to kill Israelis.

What happened to child terrorists before the law? I can not imagine there is a shortage of adult Palestinians wanting to kill Israelis.

Using child soldiers cannot fail. If the attacker is killed or jailed without killing a single Israeli the Palestinians still score a propaganda point.

Sijil

try again.

Because most of the acts that israel describes as "terror" are just a pretext to oppress more? Because even hurling a rock at a Merkava tank, participating in Jerusalem day marches, having protests inside the Aqsa mosque or not recognizing the state of israel can be described as acts of "terror".

Using child soldiers cannot fail. If the attacker is killed or jailed without killing a single Israeli the Palestinians still score a propaganda point.
Indeed, the latest tactic is to try and get your toddler shot by IDF soldiers.

I don't see how this new law will make any difference, another stupid decision by Netanyahu's government. I guess they feel they have to do something in order to appear strong and in control of the situation, for their own electibility.

ActWan

Because most of the acts that israel describes as "terror" are just a pretext to oppress more? Because even hurling a rock at a Merkava tank, participating in Jerusalem day marches, having protests inside the Aqsa mosque or not recognizing the state of israel can be described as acts of "terror".

That's irrelevant. There are still enough terror acts planned and commited by children, and on this article they are also talking about the act of killing more than "destroying property".

Can't wait to hear the update of a bunch of kids being arrested for the most simple of action. Israel can't be surprised when they hear people criticise them.

Sijil

That's irrelevant. There are still enough terror acts planned and commited by children, and on this article they are also talking about the act of killing more than "destroying property".

Irrelevant? A kid throws a rock at a tank then he gets hauled off to prison and that's irrelevant? Yeah maybe because it suits your pro occupation point of view I guess, good luck with that. Remind me when was it the last time a 12 year old Palestinian boy blew himself up in a restaurant or a bus?

ActWan

Irrelevant? A kid throws a rock at a tank then he gets hauled off to prison and that's irrelevant? Yeah maybe because it suits your pro occupation point of view I guess, good luck with that. Remind me when was it the last time a 12 year old Palestinian boy blew himself up in a restaurant or a bus?

Wtf is this comment dude? calm down, attacking me like this... Yeah, that is just irrelevant, and I didnt even tell you if I'm pro occupation or not. And many times kids aged 8-12 attacked other kids and people with knives, alot of cases were actually caught before they could commit the act aswell.
But that doesn't matter here. We're talking about an article that downplays children terrorism( which definitely exist) by putting the word terrorist in quotation marks. That's all my claims.

hodgy100

Even if that were to happen if the child was apprehended I'd be against locking them up. You lock up the people responsible for radicalizing the child then provide the child with support.

being arab, our problem that we are frustrated about our current state, and then in turn into rage, to the parents or who radicalized a child, allah/god is patient and you will answer for your sins.

boiled goose

good with gravy
"A society has the right to protect itself" sounds fair, but it's rooted in the idea of in group vs outgroup. Some lives worth more than others.

being arab, our problem that we are frustrated about our current state, and then in turn into rage, to the parents or who radicalized a child, allah/god is patient and you will answer for your sins.

Allah is made up. Sin doesn't exist. We have to solve our own problems as humans but violence is not the way.

A 14 year old and an 11 year old tried stabbing a train guard to death. That seems to be the favourite method of Palestinian terrorists these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom