• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISS crew members with eat food that was grown in space for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
It looks pretty normal for having been grown in free-fall. I wonder if it's been genetically modified by ~*~cosmic rays~*~

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It looks pretty normal for having been grown in free-fall. I wonder if it's been genetically modified by ~*~cosmic rays~*~

Fantastic Flora: Rise of the Silver Cilantro

Ricky_R

veg2.jpg

it looks more normal without the red and blue LEDs

I'd eat that, with a bit of balsamic vinaigrette.

cameron

"The Veggie experiment is currently the only experiment we are supporting which involves evaluating the effects of plant life on humans in space," Whitmire said.

It would be nice if NASA had more funds for experiments and everything else, instead of being constantly broke as fuck. I was misled to believe that edible plants harvested in space was done way back since the days of MIR. Apparently those were only scientific/research experiments not safe for human consumption until now.

They're going to livestream the harvest/tasting event today (in ~40 minutes) along with the spacewalk that's happening now.

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhORZ6Ep_jE

Pillville

Every damn International Space Station story, 1/2 the posts are about ISIS.
Can we just stop using "ISS" for the shortened name?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It would be nice if NASA had more funds for experiments and everything else, instead of being constantly broke as fuck. I was misled to believe that edible plants harvested in space was done way back since the days of MIR. Apparently those were only scientific/research experiments not safe for human consumption until now.

They're going to livestream the harvest/tasting event today (in ~40 minutes) along with the spacewalk that's happening now.

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhORZ6Ep_jE

Thanks, I will add it to the OP.

Every damn International Space Station story, 1/2 the posts are about ISIS.
Can we just stop using "ISS" for the shortened name?

People are just being assholes. Even if you read ISS as ISIS at first glance, there is zero reason to think that they would be eating space food. And even if you think that, you could read the damn OP.

cameron

Still spacewalk stuff now. ISS squeegee kid:
ZmUcNho.gif

They're running a bit late. In the stream, the narrator said they're waiting for downlink from inside the Columbus Lab module on the ISS where the harvest is going to happen.

jerry113

Banned
Oh cool I'm watching a live spacewalk on youtube now?

*29 people watching*

:-(

As for the food tasting thing... In a few centuries this'll probably be a notable "first" in a history book.

Nocebo

Would be cool if they gain some new insights on how to grow plants in harsh environments. Like it said in the article.
I hope they get to more "complex" plants soon like fruits and vegetables.

People are just being assholes. Even if you read ISS as ISIS at first glance, there is zero reason to think that they would be eating space food. And even if you think that, you could read the damn OP.
Furthermore why do they feel the need to shit up half the thread with it? It seems so useless and pointless.

jerry113

Banned
they're about to eat it.

this is my fetish

edit:

im literally watching a bunch of people in space prepare a caesar salad

what a time to be allive

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Scott Kelly left. He is smart enough not to try out space lettuce lol.

Edit - He came back.

Long process to harvest them.

glow

Banned
Why do they need to clean them with citrus wipes? It's probably cleaner lettuce than we eat down here even after we wash it. I'd gladly be the guinea pig to eat raw uncleaned space lettuce if I was up there. What's the worst that could happen besides *maybe* food poisoning?

Nocebo

Did I see wrong or did the guy with the glasses not finish the whole thing? edit: nevermind he's eating more now.

Nocebo

Scott Kelly. I think they didn't so they could take photos and put some vinegar on it.
I was thinking he might not like it that much. The other two seemed more enthusiastic about it. But you're probably right.

Pretty awesome moment. I think it's the first time I saw a space first, live.

How do they keep the oil and vinegar from just flying everywhere?
Perhaps it is sticky enough?

Nocebo

I missed the part where they talked about the significance for mars and other space missions. Did they say anything interesting? Also how cost effective is growing your own fresh stuff? I assume you need lot more space to house the plants. You will have to take a lot more weight into space in the form of soil, lights and other stuff required to properly grow the food. Does growing fresh plants have any other benifits aside from the psychological ones like, seeing plants grow, having something to occupy your time with and being able to eat fresh food? Like can the plants be used in a way that would otherwise require some other (mechanical) system?
Did they mention anything about GMOs?

I guess when considering an extended period of time the scales tip in the favor of growing food. As seeds to grow 3 months (or whatever) worth of food + the facilities to do so weigh a lot less than the amount of food you would have to ship from the start if you weren't able to grow it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The gist of it was that this is important if humans are to survive for long periods of time in space.

The psychological angle is a big reason enough to have fresh food onboard. Regardless on what it make cost or weight it might add.

One of the astronauts, the one that was cutting it up, mentioned that being in a white, mechanical environment, it was nice to see something green, something fresh. And I can only assume he has been there for only a few months. Imagine if he were there a year or two?

Picture yourself eating canned foods for several weeks/months/years on end. Having a fresh piece of anything, would be huge to you.

Nocebo

Picture yourself eating canned foods for several weeks/months/years on end. Having a fresh piece of anything, would be huge to you.
I can imagine. Having a module filled with plants would be awesome. Like in the fake picture at the top of the original article.

Seeing stuff like this and the seemingly low level of interest makes me a bit sad though. The ISS is a great symbol of human collaboration. Yet it seems very few people care about it and what goes on there.
If only it was different. What if we lived in a world where instead of hearing about death and war and other atrocities on the news we would hear about all the collaborative space missions between countries and or missions where countries are racing to get to the next"space first" and stuff? A world where less of the billions are spent on machines of war, but instead are spent on machines of exploration.

inki

Ok, am I the only one who almost always reads ISS (international space station) as ISIS and gets confused for a quick moment every time I see it?

cameron

If it's of any interest, there's a Facebook Q&A that started a while ago and is still going:

https://www.facebook.com/ISS/posts/1033594686673462

Skimmed it for some answers. There are plenty more in the link.

International Space Station said:
I was wondering about ISS and its role, if any, to the journey to Mars?
We're using the ISS as part of the proving grounds for exploration needs. Living in confined spaces, long-term effects of microgravity on the human body, the sustainable production of food, and more.

How practical is growing food in space, size seems to be a concern, for example. How can scientists grow enough food to be sustainable?
You have hit upon a problem that we continue to address. We are working to produce more productive crops that require less space and we have to think outside the normal thought process that addresses space in two demim

Is there any significant nutritional difference between space grown vegetables and terrestrial crops?
We measured the nutrition in the last crop that was grown in veggie and we didn't see any significant difference in the one grown on Earth and the one grown in space.

How long have they been growing on the ISS? Does growing in space affect how long they must grow for or how much water and care they need?
This particular batch of lettuce took 33 days to grow. It is about the same amount of water and care as it would take on the ground. The way water behaves in space makes it a little trickier to water your plants.

Why was red lettuce selected as the first crop to be grown in space?
This variety was selected because it grows well, tastes good, and has low natural microbial levels. In addition, red crops have higher levels of antioxidants, which could help astronauts stay healthy.

Now that we know lettuce works, are there any plans to grow other veggies? If so, which ones?
We have plans to grow other vegetables. Small cabbage and tomatoes are up next.

Do these vegetables have all the same composition as their counterparts grown on earth? What if any would you say the effects of growing in space as compared to growing on earth are? Are there concerns of eating this space grown food?
The space lettuce is very comparable to the ground control, and as clean as you buy in the grocery store--from a microbial standpoint. The only concern is from microbial contamination--but we have a sanitizing step to keep our crews safe. When growing in space, we make sure the seeds are oriented such that the roots grow down into the pillow and the shoots grow toward the light.

Why is everyone talking about a mission to Mars? Wouldn´t it be better to go to the Moon first? Maybe build a base that can be used for scientific purposes (Just like the ISS) and as well as a starting point for a mission to Mars?
Mars is the ultimate goal for human exploration right now. NASA flew six successful missions to the moon back during the Apollo program and since then, have continued to look deeper into our solar system at greater challenges. Mars offers a whole new environment for humans to explore and exciting new opportunities for manned spaceflight.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for posting everything guys. I've been waiting for a while for this to happen and am very happy to see that it has positive results. Hope they grow soon the small cabbage and the tomatoes!

Blizzard

Banned
The psychological angle is a big reason enough to have fresh food onboard. Regardless on what it make cost or weight it might add.

One of the astronauts, the one that was cutting it up, mentioned that being in a white, mechanical environment, it was nice to see something green, something fresh. And I can only assume he has been there for only a few months. Imagine if he were there a year or two?
I seem to remember reading a scifi story (A Deepness In The Sky?) with something like this. Humans would put plants in their spaceships / habitats. These might range from bonsai tree style tiny plants to look at, to an entire compact nature park in a space station so people could relax and see green stuff.

They were really carefully engineered to be microcosms and I think they may have been sold for a pretty good profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom