• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It begins? Sony patents that break-apart controller

spwolf

Private Hoffman said:
I'm excited about this tech. Waggle is a cool concept, but currently isn't executed well enough on the Wii to cater to the hardcore.

I'm not sure how they'd introduce it on the PS3 though...

New PS3 redesign, new controller + eyetoy pack in, for 299 next fall confirmed and EyePet packed in? Who knows...I just don't know how they'd get around the splintered userbase.

299 Deutsche Marks, BELIEVE :D

Casey120

Banned
2rdapo6.jpg

firex

looking at the pics in the OP, sony is patenting a melon scoop controller? actually, not just that, but dual wielding melon scoops that you can stick together and be darth melon scooper?

oh wait, I see the photoshops now. so they're actually patenting a droopy-eyed sad man controller.

jaypah

thuway said:
I don't understand the ignorance in this thread. Are you people that dense to actually believe this is the final design? Sony would never in a million years release a motion sensing dildo. The technology behind it is what is interesting. Realistic 3-d motion sensing via Sonar is a pretty fascinating idea. However, since its the fashionable thing on GAF to troll the fuck out of everything, hey, keep on truckin'.

:lol why does it bother you so? you can't control what people find funny, dude.

i don't know what's funnier; the photoshops or the, "c'mon you guyz.....stop laughing! it's not funny!" posts. just like the Wii or the name 360 if it's worth its weight then it'll be judged on its merit when it's time. this time right here though? this is the time for laughing at it.

Billen

Banned
thuway said:
I don't understand the ignorance in this thread. Are you people that dense to actually believe this is the final design? Sony would never in a million years release a motion sensing dildo. The technology behind it is what is interesting. Realistic 3-d motion sensing via Sonar is a pretty fascinating idea. However, since its the fashionable thing on GAF to troll the fuck out of everything, hey, keep on truckin'.

Most people that visit this thread understand that it's just for laughs. Some don't, and some even don't undeerstand that others understand.

But I still love you. And I love the fact that Sony is about to release a barble shaped controller for their weight lifting simulator.

Billen said:
I love the fact that Sony is about to release a barble shaped controller for their weight lifting simulator.
2aalit1.jpg

Awesome. (Yes, I know that's not the right spelling either... couldn't resist though. :D )

Pictures are quite ridiculous, but the concept itself it's much more "mature" than wii's.

+ The console can identify precisely the position while NOT pointing at the screen. That's a huge difference. Being able to effectively know the position and acceleration of the controller in any situation is what wii has needed since its birth.
+ You are not sticked to one controlling method, or the alternative methods are more like traditional controllers, and less like plastic add-ons that doesn't add a thing. This way you can play the games AS ALWAYS if you want.
+ There's not TWO parts, but a single, configurable one. No useless (when alone) nunchucks.
+ The "sensor bar" (Here the PSEye) provides new functionalities for people who doesn't have it, and people who already owns the thing, can use it for good.
+ Wii is an interesting concept runing on crap hardware. This may be one step ahead in motion sensing games with non crappy graphics
+ The whole thing seems way much more precise than wii prehistorical approach (We need to know if this shit works anyway :lol )

- Much pricier than Wii, that's seems obvious. PSEye itself is pricey.
- Many different shapes and configurations may be a hell for the developers and the consumers.
- The thing is not standard so it won't have the Wii punch, nor the developers focus

I'm just curious about the sound aspect of it.

I know it's ultrasonic, but still, if it's using sound waves to determine distance, isn't there the possibility of interference with... I dunno... a 7.1 surround system blasting while playing? What about noisy roommates?

edit: I bet it's nowhere near the same frequencies (they're probably above 20,000 hz and above human hearing range) but still a concern. What about that high pitched whine that older CRT's make?

gcubed

anonymousAversa said:
I'm just curious about the sound aspect of it.

I know it's ultrasonic, but still, if it's using sound waves to determine distance, isn't there the possibility of interference with... I dunno... a 7.1 surround system blasting while playing? What about noisy roommates?

edit: I bet it's nowhere near the same frequencies (they're probably above 20,000 hz and above human hearing range) but still a concern. What about that high pitched whine that older CRT's make?

the noise would be somewhere that would have that interference i would assume. Like most here have said already those pictures wont be the final product, but man, the technology sounds freaking awesome, and i'd love to see this thing in action. The eye can be had for pretty cheap, but they would need to package everything for an affordable price, which this tech looks like it may not be that cheap.

I just dont think it will catch on pre PS4 (if they are very serious about this), but i guess the ps3 can be the "test bed".

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dante said:
Why did you bump this ancient thread?
(neutral) Mindlog
A weary time traveller of the bleak near future
(June 4th 2009, 06:16 PM)
Reply | Quote

panda21

Somnid said:
us20080261693ki-028.jpg

This one speaks for itself.

is this a joke? :lol :lol :lol

why not just play football?

its like taking the head tracking thing ('i want to be able to turn my head and the view moves..' cept you're not looking at the screen any more) to a whole new level. he's not even facing the screen

kevm3

If Sony actually releases this, this just confirms that they have absolutely no idea of what they're doing this generation. I tolerated Blu-Ray, Reeves and other CEOs utterly stupid comments and virtually the loss of every 3rd party exclusive... but if Sony is going to try and turn the PS3 into a waggle paradise more than what the DS2 offers, then I really don't know what to say.

spwolf

panda21 said:

its like taking the head tracking thing ('i want to be able to turn my head and the view moves..' cept you're not looking at the screen any more) to a whole new level. he's not even facing the screen

its like saying why play rockband or singstar, why not just play guitar and sing on mic :D

kevm3 said:
If Sony actually releases this, this just confirms that they have absolutely no idea of what they're doing this generation. I tolerated Blu-Ray, Reeves and other CEOs utterly stupid comments and virtually the loss of every 3rd party exclusive... but if Sony is going to try and turn the PS3 into a waggle paradise more than what the DS2 offers, then I really don't know what to say.
You better keep quiet then, there is both the Sixaxis and the DS3.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
panda21 said:

Just like the soccer player isn't even facing the goal!

1-D_FTW

Zek said:
Just like the soccer player isn't even facing the goal!

But in real life you're gonna see the action and the ball coming your way. Something tells me staring at the couch is a slightly different perspective:)

AndyD

aka andydumi
stuburns said:
Looks cool. I remember an NDA slip up from over a year ago where someone discussed this in great length.

Yep and the videos. They were proof of concept from those 2-3 guys working on the PS2 with the old school eyetoy. Looked identical to these things except they were roughly put together not a finished product.

It seemed to work amazingly well.

Top Bottom