• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It is TGS 2005. For Sonic's 15th Anniversary, SEGA Reveals Sonic Unleashed.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
PseudoKirby said:
Sammy Killed all Sega brands, Sega should be bought by another company like MS, and bring back the devs that have left.... and have the sonic team play Sonic Adventure for DC till they know how to make a real sonic game... called Sonic Adventure 3..
Oh boy, I don't even know where to start with this post.

grandjedi6 said:

ok maybe not all sega brands, but when they merged or bought sega they messed with the internal development teams... gah I cant explain it.. whatever

I just want more Sonic Adventure
sonicadventure.jpg

Firestorm said:
Why would they need to play Sonic Adventure? Copying that is sort of why we have such bad Sonic games.
They're copying the bad parts, like the horrifying glitchiness and the not so tight controls. :|

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I remember being so pumped when I played Sonic Adventure 2, and you play that first super awesome and fast Sonic stage, and you're like "oh shiiiiiiit they really did it!"

Then it's off to two stages with his Shitty Friends. Godammit, Sega.

I think, 100%, that if Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 did not exist (maybe even Sonic Heroes, for good measure), the reception for Sonic Unleashed would be vastly different. In terms of viewing 3D Sonic games as a whole, Sonic's daytime stages are on par with - if not better than - the Sonic/Shadow levels in Sonic Adventure 2, and the Werehog, while sort of mindless and boring, is better than Hunting for Emerald Shards, Fishing, and even bumbling around in a clunky mech walker. By that definition, that positions Sonic Unleashed, in my opinion, as a better game than Sonic Adventure 2, a game that is considered by some to be "the last good attempt at a 3D Sonic game".

I AM JOHN! said:
They're copying the bad parts, like the horrifying glitchiness and the not so tight controls. :|

The biggest problem with Sonic 2k6 and Shadow the Hedgehog was the fact that the controls were too tight. You'd barely nudge the stick and your character would instantly accelerate up to maximum speed or make a 90 degree angle turn.

The OP is confusing. Is he saying Sonic Unleashed was announced as a PS3 launch title and was shown in 05?

I'm very confused by this.

HUELEN10

grandjedi6 said:
How about with my cover of Sonic Adventure 3 which actually came out last year...
sonic_adventure_3_HUELEN10.png

Sega1991 said:
I think, 100%, that if Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 did not exist (maybe even Sonic Heroes, for good measure), the reception for Sonic Unleashed would be vastly different. In terms of viewing 3D Sonic games as a whole, Sonic's daytime stages are on par with - if not better than - the Sonic/Shadow levels in Sonic Adventure 2, and the Werehog, while sort of mindless and boring, is better than Hunting for Emerald Shards, Fishing, and even bumbling around in a clunky mech walker. By that definition, that positions Sonic Unleashed, in my opinion, as a better game than Sonic Adventure 2, a game that is considered by some to be "the last good attempt at a 3D Sonic game".
Very well put. Incidentally, I DO feel that Unleashed is a better all-around game than Adventure 2.

Sega1991 said:

This, word for word. I honestly think this is the only sensible viewpoint on Sonic Unleashed.

HUELEN10

jman2050 said:
Opinions are a wonderful thing, aren't they.
Hardy Har Har. Seriously though, how SOnic Adventure 2 can be seen as a better all-around game than Unleashed exponentially flabbergasts me.

jman2050 said:
Opinions are a wonderful thing, aren't they.

I was speaking about this in particular:

I think, 100%, that if Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 did not exist (maybe even Sonic Heroes, for good measure), the reception for Sonic Unleashed would be vastly different

But if you want to be stubborn and pretend like absolutely nothing would change, be my guest.

TheSonicRetard said:
This, word for word. I honestly think this is the only sensible viewpoint on Sonic Unleashed.
No. It isn't. Because it wouldn't change the fact that while the game is halfway decent, it's not what I want in a Sonic game. It's overly linear, it's gimmicky, the controls are too loose, the physics suck, and it feels like Sonic Rush translated into 3D. And don't get me wrong, I love the first Sonic Rush (Adventure, not so much), but that kind of "go fast, shut your brain off, ???, profit!" gameplay is fine for a spin-off, not the main series. And this isn't even getting into the werehog stuff.

The only reason Unleashed gets so much love around here is because of the baggage that comes with it - it's the first Sonic game in a long time that doesn't stare you down and demand that you hate it. If we pretend that 2k6 didn't exist, no one would be that impressed with the game. If we pretend that Shadow and perhaps Heroes didn't exist either, the game would be even more hated.

I AM JOHN! said:
No. It isn't. Because it wouldn't change the fact that while the game is halfway decent, it's not what I want in a Sonic game. It's overly linear, it's gimmicky, the controls are too loose, the physics suck, and it feels like Sonic Rush translated into 3D. And don't get me wrong, I love the first Sonic Rush (Adventure, not so much), but that kind of "go fast, shut your brain off, ???, profit!" gameplay is fine for a spin-off, not the main series. And this isn't even getting into the werehog stuff.

The only reason Unleashed gets so much love around here is because of the baggage that comes with it. If we pretend that 2k6 didn't exist, no one would be that impressed with the game. If we pretend that Shadow and perhaps Heroes didn't exist either, the game would be even more hated.

Uh, except those who enjoy the game enjoy it MORE than the 3D games that preceded it.

EDIT: Referring to SA1 and SA2 specifically.

TheSonicRetard said:
Uh, except those who enjoy the game enjoy it MORE than the 3D games that preceded it.

EDIT: Referring to SA1 and SA2 specifically.
Well there's no accounting for good taste, I suppose.

That's kind of what I was getting at with my post: Public perception.

Because, I mean, there were people who hated Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2, too. There's people who have never liked Sonic in 3D, in any of the games he's been in 3D.

But the general public consensus is that after Sonic Adventure 2, the quality bottomed out on Sonic. To me, Sonic Adventure 2 was already a bit of a stumble (the game lacked the charm of Sonic Adventure 1) and it was a steep slope down hill from there.

It's cool if Sonic Unleashed isn't your thing, because you're entitled to your own opinion. I don't want to force anybody to like anything. It's when people make broad, sweeping generalizations and treat their opinion like fact that I have problems with.

But, in my experience, the majority enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 despite its flaws, and I think most people who are willing to admit to liking Sonic Adventure 2 will find a lot to like in Sonic Unleashed.

HUELEN10

Sega1991 said:
But, in my experience, the majority enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 despite its flaws, and I think most people who are willing to admit to liking Sonic Adventure 2 will find a lot to like in Sonic Unleashed.
Do you think it id possible that Unleashed's reception is keeping those same people from enjoying it?

Who IS playing Unleashed if not them?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sega1991 said:
I played through SA2 on the Cube in preparation for Unleashed, and to refresh my memory as to the whether or not the game was actually as good I remembered.

Long story short, I enjoyed myself with SA2, but I was just frustrated by the sloppy design choices made throughout Unleashed. The game clearly wasn't play tested for anywhere near as long as it should have been, or else we would have had things like the stupidly high medals requirements for the story levels (but perhaps for the optional levels), and oddly spiking difficulty as far as some of the bosses and levels are concerned.

It's not a turd, it's just a whole lot of potential, which is what makes me pissed off. I'd prefer it if the game was pure shit.

Rez said:
I played through SA2 on the Cube in preparation for Unleashed, and to refresh my memory as to the whether or not the game was actually as good I remembered.

Long story short, I enjoyed myself with SA2, but I was just frustrated by the sloppy design choices made throughout Unleashed. The game clearly wasn't play tested for anywhere near as long as it should have been, or else we would have had things like the stupidly high medals requirements for the story levels (but perhaps for the optional levels), and oddly spiking difficulty as far as some of the bosses and levels are concerned.

It's not a turd, it's just a whole lot of potential, which is what makes me pissed off. I'd prefer it if the game was pure shit.

See, I dunno. I think Sonic Unleashed has more polish and had more playtesting done to it than most 3D Sonic games we've had recently. Maybe it's just battered wife syndrome talking, but I see that as a plus, and it definitely resulted in a game that stands above the dreck we usually get. It's still sort of ankle deep in dreck, mind you, but I see the game as an effort to finally pull itself out of the rut its been in.

I can't really explain it; there's just this feeling you get when you play a game that was crafted with love and care, you know? Its in little details like... say, Wentos.

im2e4g.jpg

For those who don't know, Wentos is a traveling salesman. When you first meet him, he's too shy to talk to you, but his chao handpuppet readily strikes up a conversation with you (and berates Wentos for being such a loser). Obviously, Wentos has mental problems in spades - but it's things like this that give a game personality and character, and just Wentos, by himself, contains more personality than every character in Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 combined.

And there's tons of little touches like that. Like the way the little fan-blower robots will pirouette like ballerinas after you pick them up and throw them. Or the fact that every NPC in the game has a unique name, a unique design and unique dialog.

Sonic Unleashed, for the first time in a long time, is a Sonic game with a personality all its own. I'll forgive a few rough edges in other spots in exchange for a game that not only takes a few steps in the right direction, but ventures away from the well-worn path - even if it does take a step or two back.

HUELEN10

Sega1991 said:
See, I dunno. I think Sonic Unleashed has more polish and had more playtesting done to it than most 3D Sonic games we've had recently. Maybe it's just battered wife syndrome talking, but I see that as a plus, and it definitely resulted in a game that stands above the dreck we usually get. It's still sort of ankle deep in dreck, mind you, but I see the game as an effort to finally pull itself out of the rut its been in.

I can't really explain it; there's just this feeling you get when you play a game that was crafted with love and care, you know? Its in little details like... say, Wentos.

im2e4g.jpg

For those who don't know, Wentos is a traveling salesman. When you first meet him, he's too shy to talk to you, but his chao handpuppet readily strikes up a conversation with you (and berates Wentos for being such a loser). Obviously, Wentos has mental problems in spades - but it's things like this that give a game personality and character, and just Wentos, by himself, contains more personality than every character in Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 combined.

And there's tons of little touches like that. Like the way the little fan-blower robots will pirouette like ballerinas after you pick them up and throw them. Or the fact that every NPC in the game has a unique name, a unique design and unique dialog.

Sonic Unleashed, for the first time in a long time, is a Sonic game with a personality all its own. I'll forgive a few rough edges in other spots in exchange for a game that not only takes a few steps in the right direction, but ventures away from the well-worn path - even if it does take a step or two back.
VERY well put. I also feel it was made with love. Professor Pickle is a prime example that comes to mind.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I AM JOHN! said:
But Unleashed sucked too for different reasons that make me even angrier. I mean, fuck me, I think 2k6 is a better proof of concept for a 3D Sonic game than Unleashed is, even with the creepy pedofur action.

No... no way...

I don't know why, but something about reading this thread gave me an idea of how to save Sonic. The premise is simply this: Doctor Robotnik has been using Sonic Team for years to destroy Sonic. Near the beginning of another of Sonic's usual, shitty, 3D adventures, one of Sonic's numerous friends is killed, but just before dying he reveals that he has been paid to sabotage Sonic. Through the course of an investigation into what is going on, Sonic escapes the usual 3D bullshit to kill all of his designers. Finally, he must enter back into 2D to defeat Doctor Robotnik one last time.

Sega, make it happen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
flabberghastly said:
Finally, he must enter back into 2D to defeat Doctor Robotnik one last time...
...in a Phoenix Wright styled court case. Awwwww yeah.

RobbieNick

Sega1991 said:

im2e4g.jpg

I love Wentos. (Does his puppet have a name?)

I agree that MAYBE we wouldn't have as much "Sonic franchise is dead" shit if Sonic '06 didn't exist and Unleashed took it's place, but remember that we still had the mediocre Sonic Heroes and (almost as bad as '06) Shadow to deal with.

That said, I still love Unleashed. Even the Werehog parts are starting to grow on me (like a fungus). The high production and world they crafted as just beautiful. I don't care what anyone else says I LIKE walking around the hub worlds. When I was first in Apotos, I just moved the camera around to look at the beautiful environment. Some of the characters like Wentos and Professor Pickle are very inventive and I'd love to see them in future games.

For me, SU ties if not tops Sonic Adventure 1 (2 just wasn't as good as most remember). The day levels alone make it worth it for me.

That said, it's not the best Sega game in awhile. That honor goes to Valkeria Chronicles. I got it for $29.99 last week, and I'm lovin' it!

Top Bottom