• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italian island Lampedusa becomes African migrant hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fools idol

Banned
So this is an interesting topic.

The island of Lampedusa just a month ago had a population of around 8,000 people. This past few weeks, the once 98% Sicilian population has seen almost 17,000 african nationals arrive on illegal boats, totally grinding it's economy to a halt as the government scramble to solve the 'problem'. Almost tripling the island's population within a single month. 🤣🤣🤣

The islands native people are quickly becoming a minority on the streets, with local businesses and tourist spots being ransacked by looting and violence. Farmland has been ransacked, supermarkets and food supply has collapsed due to the surge in demand and stealing.

Article;

Since this article was written not even a week ago, a further wave of boats arrived over the course of the weekend.

It seems that African people smugglers / migrant boat gangs have figured out that small med islands are really fucking easy to ship people to.

Is this a trend that will continue? the EU governments seem to be baffled to which organisation is running the sudden surge in boats 🤣

There are growing fears in the Italian government that Russia's Wagner group is responsible for aiding and organising African migrant gangs to destabilise and cause chaos in Europe.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Just read the news that France won’t take any of them. Although nearly all of them speak French. It’s a humanitarian Desaster, fueled by greedy people who try to make as much money that they can from these poor bastards.

I can’t imagine how it must be to pay with the money your village gathered for you to travel over, only to be stuck in a camp with worse conditions than before. No hope, no freedom. And if you get into another country, your only chance lies in criminal acts because you aren’t allowed to work.

Pejo

I would want to know who is loading up boats and sending migrants there.
I'd imagine the same type of people that sneak people across the Mexico/US border. Take each individual for all they're worth/all their savings to ship them off with no promises and no comforts, and not telling the people being 'shipped' that they're likely gonna get caught, locked up, and deported. Then again, I can't imagine the conditions in their homelands if this sounds like the best option to them.

bitbydeath

Time to bring back the Roman Empire boyz!
200w.gif

RaduN

There will be a time in the near future when the migration will happen in the tens of thousands if not more, at once. It will be fastest and biggest migration e er seen, probably.
Let aside the political climate, but the actual climate changes is slowly making life impossible in those regions.
Sending them back now, and simply keeping the borders shut is just a short term "solution".

T.v

difficult situation. Greece is in a similar spot at the moment. They need to take harsh measures in order to protect and save their own countries, but will be judged by others in the EU for doing so. This entire migrant crisis is getting out of hand.

Cyberpunkd

I can’t imagine how it must be to pay with the money your village gathered for you to travel over, only to be stuck in a camp with worse conditions than before. No hope, no freedom. And if you get into another country, your only chance lies in criminal acts because you aren’t allowed to work.
Yes, because their whole reason for travel is based on lies European governments will give them housing and a job. These are not skilled professionals.
Also “they speak French” is an exaggeration. They have a heavily accented functional level of French. Also - they are not French citizens, so…

Just read the news that France won’t take any of them. Although nearly all of them speak French. It’s a humanitarian Desaster, fueled by greedy people who try to make as much money that they can from these poor bastards.

It runs a lot deeper than this. I won't get into it due to politics/GAF Policy.

SJRB

Gold Member
Literal invasion and occupation. It’s unreal how organised this all is.

If this happened 100 years ago it would’ve been seen as an act of war.

Imagine your hometown overrun by thousands of military-aged men from another country overnight. It driving me insane how passive Italy and the EU are about all this.

B D Joe

At this point anyone that can't see this is an invasion is either complicit or an idiot

And i don't think we can vote our way out of it either. Some hard times are coming i fear

Also we all know this thread will get locked cos there's a lot of weak men who would rather bury heads then face up to their responsibilities

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Literal invasion and occupation. It’s unreal how organised this all is.

If this happened 100 years ago it would’ve been seen as an act of war.

Imagine your hometown overrun by thousands of military-aged men from another country overnight. It driving me insane how passive Italy and the EU are about all this.

We have a similar issue in the UK. The BBC conducted an investigation a few months ago and found that a lot of the people coming over from France on boats were Albanian who are being hired by Albanian gangs currently in the UK. When they get to France, they're being briefed on how to lie to claim asylum to get past our (weak) system.

"They're going to arrest you for sure," said one. "You have to ask for asylum. Only those who didn't ask for asylum were sent back. The others didn't have any problems. You have to invent a reason why you're here. People usually say they have debts, problems in general."

Soodanim

OP said 'problem' in quotes like it's up for debate, then almost immediately followed it up with this:
The islands native people are quickly becoming a minority on the streets, with local businesses and tourist spots being ransacked by looting and violence. Farmland has been ransacked, supermarkets and food supply has collapsed due to the surge in demand and stealing.

Sounds like a definite problem to me

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's happened before in Lampedusa, being the closest Italian harbor to the African coast. Not on this scale, but I made a joke about the proportion of migrants over the local population in Lampedusa vs continental Italy more than 10 years ago already. There also was a heavy surge in migration back then. I doubt Russia is behind this.

This is what Meloni was voted in for. Now people will see it was empty populist rhetoric with no plan behind it.
She's already changed her tune now she is in the government. This is not something a small, weak country like Italy, so conveniently placed in the Mediterranean, can take radical decisions about alone. Says it all that this supposed "fascist and racist" government can't and won't do a thing about this.

Migrants bring lots of money in lots of pockets. And nobody is interested in which countries are destabilized by this as long as it's not theirs. If a single migrant dies in the sea our press will go for the government's throat, yet nobody cares about the problems this will bring to the society and the economy of the country.

Cyberpunkd

Migrants bring lots of money in lots of pockets. And nobody is interested in which countries are destabilized by this as long as it's not theirs. If a single migrant dies in the sea our press will go for the government's throat, yet nobody cares about the problems this will bring to the society and the economy of the country.
I see no arguments backed my data being presented by both sides, it’s more or less like this:

Right: Migrants will rape our women and turn the country into an Islamic stste
Left: let’s kumbaya and love everyone

Fools idol

Banned
OP said 'problem' in quotes like it's up for debate, then almost immediately followed it up with this:

Sounds like a definite problem to me

Food stability is the biggest problem.. the island has a very small economy naturally, and the sudden surge in demand for food on the supply chain of the island has been devastating.

The next problem is all those mouths to feed and very little if anything at all in the way of legal tender in pockets. If 17,000 migrants cant pay for food on an island used to feeding 8000 people, the stealing is going to get far worse. In fact it's probably already past the point of no return. It's going to give a whole new meaning to 'The hunger games'.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

I remember several years ago finding out that Doctors without Borders operates multiple migrant vessels. I always thought it was some non-partisan humanitarian charity but they have some strange mission creep where they actively participate in illegal migration. This is frogs boiling in a pot nothing will change, Europe has the double paralysis of compassion and guilt.

(video from 2016)

Tams

I'm going to tread carefully here, but...

If nothing drastic is done, then this is just a taster of what is to come.

And we all know what will happen if absolutely nothing is done. Everyone is too scared to voice it though, including me, because it is so dark.

Some cultures simply aren't compatible.

It's not mostly Wagner or Russia, though they are certainly playing in that area.

Wagner should just be wiped out at this point. 'Merica, can you send in some of those AC-130 gunships again? It was hilarious at The Battle of Khasham.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Artificially bolstered or not this is only just the beginning. With the drastic changes in climate, war, loss of biodiversity, overpopulation the amount of refugees will increase drastically throughout the next two decades.

This is nothing compared to what's ahead of us. Yet, nothing is happening.

bellome

It is literally disheartening to see my homeplace being totally abandoned by institutions.

The italian government is useless and our european "partners" just don't give a shit.

EU is a joke.

All of this not considering the humanitarian aspects of the matter, but i understand many people in EU are just too ignorant to care about unlucky people and to understand that they may even become a resource for our Country if properly integrated.

I have seen with my own eyes the bodies of dead people floating on the sea and being pushed to the shore by the waves, and the disperation of the survivors. One of the worst memories i have......

FunkMiller

Artificially bolstered or not this is only just the beginning. With the drastic changes in climate, war, loss of biodiversity, overpopulation the amount of refugees will increase drastically throughout the next two decades.

This is nothing compared to what's ahead of us. Yet, nothing is happening.

Sadly correct. The only real way to stop this is for rich counties to work with poor countries to increase the quality of life in those poor countries.

Anyone see that happening?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Sadly correct. The only real way to stop this is for rich counties to work with poor countries to increase the quality of life in those poor countries.

Anyone see that happening?
Since "the whole world" is still not affected by this "the whole world" is not ready for a collective change of mind and approach to our destructive way of living. It's sad because we know of this for so many years now and it might be to late when we decide to give in.

D-Dude

Send them to the netherlands, we need workers.
These People aren't workers. Come one.
And if you wanna send them to the Netherlands, then please your neighborhood or street. I live in the Netherlands, Limburg, close to a AZC (refugee center) and there is a lot of trouble everyday. Theft, violence, sexual assault. So I say no. Not anymore.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The sad thing is that some wank fuck in Portland will call all these people native to the area a bunch of nazis for being scared for their homeland and then they'll go groom kids or whatever that purple place does for fun.

There's a word for a nation annexing another one... but we won't say it, don't want to get the they/thems cross now

Toots

Gold Member
Remind me of Kaaris', the famous french poet, ryhme
"Sachet de coke coincé dans le cul, coincé comme à Lampedusa"
(Coke Bag stuck in your ass, stuck like you're in Lampedusa)
Never understood what he meant by that but i'm convinced if we were to find out we'll be able to solve the migrants crisis.

AJUMP23

Inmediately deportation? what's the problem?.

Why is not considered an invasion?

While it is an invasion they have already overwhelmed the island and without the mainland sending in a national guard the people on the island can do nothing. And if they all claim refugee status the government has to process that. I was talking with people about this earlier, but the death of Kaddafi really destabilized north Africa. I am not really sure what form of government has even formed in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom