• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's time to stop hating on Unity

gngf123

I feel like it's worth a bump to ask what the current mood is about the flavour of the day.

Everyone seems into Cuphead, largely without complaint (barring some bugs and Windows Store cobblers), so maybe it absolutely is time to take games as they come, rather than hating on things just for being Unity.

If anyone skipped Cuphead for being a Unity game... that's a shame.

There's still the issue of a good Unity game just being a good game, while a bad Unity game becomes a "Unity game".

Cuphead isn't the first popular and well received game made in Unity, and it'll be far from the last. Although hopefully it can help deal with the image problem a little.

It has always been the case that a game should be taken on its own merits, not judged on the chosen engine. Gamers just don't do that.

CookTrain

There's still the issue of a good Unity game just being a good game, while a bad Unity game becomes a "Unity game".

That definitely feels like the long and the short of it, for sure.

I think some people are getting the idea that engines are tools. You have bad games on Unity and UE4 (ARK for example) but most Unity hate seems focused on 3D games, I posted this but I did it pretty early in the morning so it gut buried and I think once 2018 comes out with these improvements, Unity's image problem will be a bit better.

Performance gains will definitely help in those more taxing games... assuming the developers make the most of it. As you say, hopefully that'll simmer people down a little.

DSR can be enabled in Unity games. Works in Firewatch

Are you sure it's actually working or just allowing you to choose the resolution? I'm fairly sure Unity always renders at a maximum matching your desktop, regardless of if the options lets you choose it or not.

wwm0nkey

That definitely feels like the long and the short of it, for sure.

Performance gains will definitely help in those more taxing games... assuming the developers make the most of it. As you say, hopefully that'll simmer people down a little.

Well biggest thing here is that this will alleviate a lot of console woes with Unity. We can finally some unity functions off the main thread and they are making it as easy to use as possible. That + their new compiler and I am expecting some pretty good things.
Are you sure it's actually working or just allowing you to choose the resolution? I'm fairly sure Unity always renders at a maximum matching your desktop, regardless of if the options lets you choose it or not.

Looked into it not long after I posted that. I was wrong about DSR support

Top Bottom