• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's time we talk about the secret best Pokemon Spin-Off Series: Pokemon Ranger!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
xXpFlg6l.jpg

From top-clockwise: Kate, Summer, Ben, Solana, Lunick, and Kellyn

The Pokemon Ranger series is trilogy of Pokemon spin-offs released for the DS during the 3rd and 4th Generations of Pokemon, and developed by a joint-partnership of HAL and Creatures Inc. A Pokemon Ranger is a member of a special task force, of sorts, that solves environmental issues, takes down criminals who abuse Pokemon, and serve their community. Rather than capturing Pokemon in PokeBalls, Pokemon Rangers instead use the Capture Styler, which controls the top-like Capture Disc to transmit feelings of friendship to wild Pokemon. By befriending wild Pokemon, Pokemon Rangers can then call upon their powers to solve a variety of issues and obstacles, as well as use them in order to assist in the capture of other Pokemon as well.

At its core, the central gameplay mechanic of Pokemon Ranger is using the DS touchscreen to quickly draw circles around Pokemon with the stylus. This rather simple mechanic is perhaps one of the reasons the Pokemon Ranger series never quite took hold with gamers...it's hard to sell the idea of "drawing circles" as the central game mechanic, although in reality there is of course more nuance to this than simply that. It's disappointing because, despite having a rough start, I find the Pokemon Ranger series to be legitimately good and refreshing, and alongside Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon I'm tempted to say I might enjoy it more so than the main series in certain areas.

The Pokemon Ranger games are implied to take place within the same universe as the main series, although the connections between the two are quite sparse---mainly, you are able to transfer certain Pokemon between the Ranger games and the Gen IV games, and the Almia region, featured in the second game, is speculated due to the shape and positioning of its landmass to lie directly south of the Sinnoh Region. In the anime, however, the connection is much more explicit, with multiple Pokemon Ranger characters appearing throughout the show during the Advanced and Diamond and Pearl Series. There are "Pokemon Rangers" in the main series game, however they are more along the lines of park rangers, and are not meant to be the same as the Pokemon Rangers from the Ranger Series, as they utilize PokeBalls.

Pokemon Ranger - 2006
f6GdgMU.png

The first Pokemon Ranger I remember was met with a lot of confusion upon being announced---from the screenshots, no one knew what kind of game we were in for. The graphics looked different from the usual Pokemon titled, and many wondered if it was a sign of how the mainline series would look when it moved to the DS as well. One of the big excitement though was that the screens showed the main character walking in a world where Pokemon were actually seen on screen, as opposed to hiding in the grass. As more and more info came out about the game, interest waned when it was discovered it wasn't a typical RPG, and had two big elements that turned a lot of people off: you only temporarily partnered with Pokemon, removing the bonding aspect that attracts a lot of players to the franchise, and the central mechanic involving drawing circles around the Pokemon, which was deemed a simplistic and gimmicky use of the touchscreen.

And, truth be told, the first Pokemon Ranger was quite unpolished. The biggest issue is the difficulty of the capture mechanic, in which you need to draw circles around the Pokemon to gain their friendship (the amount of circles needed displayed above their head), while they move around and even attempt to break your line. Lifting your stylus up negates your friendship, and you have to start all over again, which becomes extremely frustrating as the fights get harder. This was what killed the game for me when I got to the later levels, but it was actually fixed for the sequels, which is why I think they should be given a chance. Your Capture Styler also has HP, which is reduced when you're hit, so you gotta be very careful as losing all your HP means a Game Over, and unlike in the main series, it's a return to your last save Game Over. The game has a slight RPG element to it, as your Styler's HP increases, as does the length of the lines you can draw, and you gain access to more Assists.

Pokemon you caught follow you around (it was doing this long before Heart Gold and Soul Silver, and with more Pokemon to boot!), and Pokemon have two uses. First, there are various obstacles that can be cleared through Pokemon Field Moves, usually based on their type. Fire Pokemon can Burn through obstacles, Water Pokemon can use their Water to put out fires and grow plants, and Electric Pokemon can Charge up your HP. Obstacles have ranks, and you'll need stronger Pokemon to clear them...a Torchic can't Burn through certain objects, but Blaziken can. Once you use a Field Move, the Pokemon leaves you, but you can usually find them again by returning to where you found them first. You can have multiple Pokemon following you, so it's good to always have a diverse group with you. Pokemon can also use Assists in battles, which has various effects that make capturing the Pokemon easier, and work using the Type System like in the main series---like with Field Moves, after an Assist is used, the Pokemon leaves, so save them for the harder enemies. Your player character has either Plusle, for the girls, and Minun, for the guys, who follow you around and have a special Assist known as Paralyze, which immobilizes the enemy, and can be used repeatedly once the energy for it is charged up by drawing circles.

The game is fairly linear, with you going through various set Missions. Pokemon can't be taken out of the area you find them in till the Post Game, so you don't have a lot of trouble figuring out what Pokemon you need, and there's not a lot of optional exploration to be found here. Like in mainstream Pokemon, capturing all the Pokemon once and registering them in your Browser is the secondary goal. It's fairly short as well, although with the difficulty ramping up I unfortunately never saw it through to the end. The plot is perhaps slightly more involved than the mainstream games (this was before Black and White upped the ante), but pretty cliche and silly. It takes place in the new Region of Fiore, and the bad guys are a group of musician-themed baddies known as the Go-Rock Squad, and their leader is so obviously the villain when you first meet him (where he basically treats you and Pokemon like trash), the game seems to be mocking the trope. They want to use the Capture Styler to control Pokemon for evil while you, as a new Pokemon Ranger, have to stop them. I don't remember much about the plot in this one, but the Go-Rock Squad are decently entertaining.

Overall, the first Pokemon Ranger is pretty rough around the edges, and I'd say not worth picking up when you can play the sequels. Except for a few cameos, the stories in each Pokemon Ranger are more or less self-contained, so you can easily skip this one and enjoy the plot of Ranger 2.

Pokemon Ranger, alongside the original Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon and Pokemon Trozei, was part of a group of Pokemon games known by the nickname "The Road to Diamond and Pearl" (this nickname stemmed from CoroCoro, I believe), which were released between Generation III and Generation IV. Pokemon Ranger features Pokemon from Generation I - Generation III, 210 of the then 386, but also introduces the Pokemon Manaphy from Generation IV...although only its egg, as you were required to complete a special mission and then send it to Diamond and Pearl when they were released for it to hatch. All three Pokemon Ranger games allow you to get a Manaphy Egg, and remains the easiest way to get the Pokemon, as otherwise it has only been released through a few events. Unlike other Legendary Pokemon, Manaphy can breed with Ditto in order to give birth to Phione, which is basically Manaphy-lite, and can be seen as an alternative to those who are unable to get Manaphy.

Pokemon Ranger was advertised pretty heavily in the show, more so than any other spin-off. First off, a few months before Pokemon Ranger was released, Advanced Generation 155 "Pokemon Ranger Appears! Celebi Rescue Mission" aired in Japan, featuring the female player character of Pokemon Ranger, Solana, and introducing the concept of Pokemon Ranger to the show. Then, a few weeks after the release of Pokemon Ranger, a one-hour special "Pokemon Ranger! Deoxys' Crisis" aired, which saw the return of Solana and the Pokemon Ranger concept. Both Celebi and Deoxys were featured in special Wi-Fi Events in Pokemon Ranger as well. During this time-period, the 9th Pokemon Movie was being advertised entitled "Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea: Manaphy", which focused on a Pokemon Ranger named Jack Walker and Manaphy, being the first time a Pokemon spin-off made it to the big-screen. It was obvious that The Pokemon Company had high hopes for this spin-off given the unprecedented amount of spotlight it was given, although in retrospect it obviously didn't live up to their expectations.

Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - 2008
FaDw4iv.jpg

Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, the best Pokemon spin-off up there alongside Mysterious Dungeon Explorers. Sadly, the first Pokemon Ranger left a negative taste in a lot of people's mouths due to its rather frustrating capture mechanic, and a lot of Pokemon fans felt burned out due to how The Pokemon Company advertised it with a movie and everything. So, a lot of fans probably skipped over this title. But for those who played it, such as myself, we found a really solid game with a surprisingly fun system, and perhaps the best plot in a Pokemon title with a great localization, a true hidden gem.

First off, the biggest improvement in Pokemon Ranger 2 is by far the revised capture system, the biggest change being you no longer have to capture a Pokemon in one go, you can actually lift your stylus up for a few seconds and revise your strategy, or rest your hand for a second to avoid cramps. Furthermore, Pokemon don't have an amount of circles needed to be drawn for capture, rather they have a more typical HP Bar, which decreases as you draw circles around them, and the amount of HP they lose is dependent on a variety of factors, such as the Power Charge technique, where you can charge up the Capture Disc to increase the power of your circles. If you don't continue to draw around the Pokemon, their HP will slowly recover, but overall the system is far more forgiving than in the original, and this in turn allows the battles to become a bit more strategic as the Pokemon are capable of far more techniques to attack you with. You're also now ranked on your performance, and the end game features an Arena where you really get to put your skills to the test.

Pokemon Assists have also been revamped, and are funner to use to aid you in battle. In the original, much of the assists were passive effects that were activated basically by drawing circles, but here you get to roll up snowballs and toss it at Pokemon, create poisonous puddles, and sling bug webs at foes. Stronger Pokemon have longer duration when using their Assists as well. Rather than having Plusle or Minun as a Partner, throughout the game you find Partner Pokemon for each Type---Pachirisu, Munchlax, Starly, Kricketot, Croagunk, Mime Jr., Cranidos, Shieldon, Chimchar, Sneasel, Snover, Misdreavus, Hippopotas, Machop, Piplup, Turtwig, and Gible. These Pokemon hang out at a farm, and you can switch between them to have them follow you, their Partner Bar filling up over time and allowing you to use their Assists.

Field Moves work the same as before, but are far more visually interesting with many more obstacles and unique elements to interact with than ever before, and featuring a bit more puzzle solving than in the original. There are also some cool "Overworld" moves like Flying on Staraptor, Surfing on Empoleon, and riding around on Doduo. The world of Almia---a new region, like Fiore---is much more visually interesting and diverse, with a lot of neat set-pieces and areas to explore. The game is more open, as you can now take Pokemon outside their habitats at any point (where in the original you had to clear the game first), and their are 60 Side Quests to take part in where you explore to find rare Pokemon. Doing these Side Quests give you Capture Cards, which increase the ability of your Styler such as buffing its power, reducing the damage you take from attacks, and healing you upon circling Pokemon.

Perhaps the biggest draw of the game, in my opinion, is the surprisingly good story---for a Pokemon game. It's no The Last of Us, or the Order: 1886, but the plot is a bit more involved than the usual fare, and features a host of quirky, rather memorable characters. You play as a Pokemon Ranger in the midst of graduating the Pokemon Ranger School, and find yourself then getting involved with the Ranger Union to help the region of Almia. The evil team this time around is the awkwardly named Dim Sun...they're more or less simply the game's version of Team Rocket, but the real standout is the central villain, who has a pretty good and unique backstory for the series. The localization is where the game shines, like the Gen IV mainline games which I found to have a great localization (especially compared to how stiff Gen V was), Shadows of Almia is filled with a lot of humorous dialogue that entertained me throughout the story, and was one of the reasons I found the game so much fun.

The graphics have been sharpened up from the original Ranger, and are quite vibrant and colorful---I daresay the Ranger games easily look a bit nicer than the mainline games do, and it's sort of a shame we'll probably never see a "real" Pokemon game utilizing such detailed character and Pokemon sprites for the overworld. The music is a bit better this time around, but overall I never found the Ranger games to have music as good as the main games. The music isn't bad, but there's not too many memorable songs that stuck with me like the songs in the main series. I don't think any of the mainline Pokemon composers worked on the game, or at least I don't recognize them.

Shadows of Almia was released two years after Diamond and Pearl (this was back when we actually had more than a yearly gap between the main games!), and thus focuses on Generation IV Pokemon like Lucario, Heatran, and especially Darkrai. Out of the then 493 Pokemon, the game features a healthy 270 of them. Once more, a special mission allows you to receive a Manaphy Egg to send to the main series, but there is also a Riolu and Darkrai you can obtain that can be sent to the main game, although I don't believe these missions can still be done due to the Nintendo WiFi connection being shut down...

If you're gonna try out the Pokemon Ranger series (and you should...for me!), this is the game you should definitely go with. I think every Pokemon Fan should experience it once in their life, alongside Pokemon Snap, Mysterious Dungeon Explorers, and Pokemon Channel...okay, I'm joking about that last one. Actually, not really, I had a blast with that as a kid and it's extremely hypnotic. Good luck finding Pokemon Ranger games, though. While the main series DS games are still pretty well stocked, I haven't seen any of the Pokemon Rangers games for quite awhile.

After the middling success of the first Pokemon Ranger, the Pokemon Company sort of calmed down when it came to advertising the games. However, once more it did get an anime tie-in, although only one as opposed to multiple episodes and a movie, a one-hour special that aired during the Diamond and Pearl series entitled "Pokemon Ranger! The Wave-Guiding Riolu!" (DP 71-72) on the day the game was released in Japan. It sees the return of Solana, as well as the male protagonist of Shadows of Almia Kellyn, as they team up with Ash and Co. to rescue a Riolu from a gang of Pokemon Hunters. I have to say, this episode is really well done, and one of my favorite episodes in the series---it actually doesn't focus on the Pokemon Rangers that much, but rather on Ash and Riolu, and ties into a plot-point introduced in the Lucario Movie. This plot point was that Ash was capable of using the power of Aura to an extent, a neat idea that more or less seems to have been forgotten. The villains in this episode are also a bit more intimidating than the usual fare, and the first episode actually ends with a "Ash and Pikachu die" fake-out with them screaming as they're engulfed in flames. The dub episodes also keep all the Japanese score in-tact, so they treated this episode like a miniature movie basically. I'd actually say check out the episode too. The plot of this episode inspired the special Riolu Event Mission in Ranger 2, which was released around the same time via WiFi, but of course is no longer available.

Watch Da Birdie

Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs - 2010
9I6Xqbc.jpg

Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs is the final Pokemon Ranger game (for the time being), and is a very complete package. The Pokemon Ranger team certainly didn't just rehash Shadows of Almia, and there's a lot of new stuff to do in Ranger 3. Unfortunately, Pokemon Ranger just didn't take off even after the improved Shadows of Almia (which scored a bit lower among mainstream reviews, probably because a lot of people thought it was a total rehash of the original), so Pokemon Ranger 3 also suffered from a lot of people instantly dismissing it. While I think it isn't as tight as Ranger 2, it's still a solid game that I think Pokemon Fans should give more love to.

First off, Ranger 2 pretty much perfected the basic capture mechanic---drawing circles---and once again you can now lift your stylus between circles to take a quick break. The basic system hasn't changed much, except now there's the "Rage Feature"...sometimes Pokemon are extra agitated, and you'll need to calm them down through circling them and using Pokemon Assists before you can deplete their HP. I recall this feature is a bit frustrating, as it prolongs some battles and slows things down, but it isn't a deal-breaker. It's been awhile since I played the Ranger games, but I recall Ranger 3 being a bit more difficult than Ranger 2, which had a lot of ways to sort of break the game, but not as frustrating as Ranger 1. But with decent skill beating the main story should be an easy task for any player. There's a ton of Pokemon to capture this time around, as well as the ability to replay Boss fights, so for players who dig the system and discover how it can be somewhat strategic, they'll have a good time here.

Pokemon Assists have been changed up yet again, even more this time around, as while in the previous games they simply powered up your lines or gave you the ability to use special attacks, here you drag and drop the Pokemon on the screen during battle, and they launch an attack at the foe. Pokemon this time around can use their Assists multiple times without leaving your party, however they have health, and if they're hit by the enemy Pokemon, they leave you. After using a Pokemon Assist, they need to charge before you can use them again, but it's possible to use them multiple times in a single battle. This is one of the changes that I'm mixed on---they're a bit clunkier to use and set up, and aren't as fun as using the Assists in Ranger 2, which the player had more control over. And since you can keep the Pokemon until they lose their HP, it's easy to find a great Assist and just spam it to get through the game quite easily. A big part of Pokemon Ranger was conserving your Pokemon to use at the right time, and Ranger 3 sort of throws that out the window. So, it's a change that while seems cool from a superficial view---summoning the Pokemon to fight for you---it's not as good, gameplay wise. Others may enjoy the fact they don't lose the Pokemon though, so your opinion may vary.

Rather than having multiple Partner Pokemon like in Shadows of Almia, Ranger 3 goes back to one Partner...Ukulele Pichu! This is probably one of the cutest Pokemon in the history of the series, and it's a shame it wasn't available in the main series like the complete waste of space Notch-Eared Pichu. If Pichu ever returns to Smash, Ukulele Pichu Alt. is a must! Pichu follows you around throughout the game, and has its own Pokemon Assist where it plays its Ukulele to stun foes, and it gets stronger as your proceed through the game. I don't remember it being particularly any more useful than the other Pokemon Assists though, so you might not get too much use out of him, but he's a nice backup to have in a dangerous situation.

Field Moves return, and there are of course some new Field Moves and obstacles to use this time around. Pokemon still leave you after using Field Moves, however this time you can use multiple Pokemon to pull of a Field Move to destroy larger obstacles. One new gameplay mechanic...more or less what Pokemon OR/AS ended up using, is Flying. While you can use a Flying Pokemon to warp instantly to previously visited areas, you can choose to fly through the the air above the clouds, finding unique areas you can't reach otherwise, and battling airborne Pokemon. There's even a few segments in which you must fly atop a Pokemon while dodging attacks like an arcade-game, and sometimes you'll need to chase Pokemon through the air to catch them. Like in OR/AS, you even ride on Latios and Latias for this segment, although you also get to ride on a Staraptor as well. Underwater segments return from Shadows of Almia, including a new mini-game where you flip the DS vertically to dive underwater to chase down Pokemon and villains. It's clear the developers wanted to throw some more interesting elements into the game to mix things up, and they're pretty fun without being one of those annoying game-shifts like the ones that make up the majority of Sly Cooper and Wonderful 101.

One of the big new features is the titular "Guardian Signs". When you're on the overworld, and not in a cave or building (meaning they're not usable in most Dungeons), you're able to draw special signs on the touch screen to summon a variety of Pokemon instantly. The biggest, and coolest use, of this feature is summoning Raikou, Suicune, and Entei to ride on, each with their own unique ability such as Suicune being able to skip across water. You can also use this to summon Latios and Latias, in order to Fly around the sky. The Legendary Birds are also obtainable, but rather than ride on them, using their Guardian Signs allows you to summon them. There are also other Guardian Signs you obtain for common Pokemon, allowing you to call them when you need their Assist or Field Move, but only one at a time, and they have the weakest Field Move so you can't use them for every obstacle. Some additional Guardian Signs were also shown through CoroCoro, or on the Pokemon Sunday program, and let you summon additional Pokemon, as well as some of the bosses such as Mewtwo after you defeat them. A lot of these I don't believe were ever released for those outside of Japan, technically, but you can simply look the signs up online though so it's not big deal. There's a way to charge up Guardian Signs, which increase the power of the summon, or the speed they move, in the case of the Legendary Beasts.

Quests return from Shadows of Almia, but have been improved, as in that game you could only take Missions one-on-one, but now you can accept multiple missions allowing you to clear them at your leisure. Clearing Quests nets you Ranger Points, which you can then use to adjust the stats of your Capture Styler such as its energy, the strength of your lines, and and how fast you're able to charge your lines up. You'll wanna keep your Capture Styler upgraded, as there are a lot of Pokemon to catch this time around---307 of the then 493 Pokemon are available, including such powerful Pokemon as Mewtwo and Arceus.

The most controversial feature of Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs is definitely the multiplayer mode. Early in the game, you're taken to the past by Celebi where an ancient temple rests, and have to do special missions involving capturing a Pokemon within. In the main story, this is only mandatory a couple times however you can revisit the past and from there take part in multiple missions where you must capture Pokemon within a time limit. Rather than using Ukulele Pichu as your Partner, you obtain Heart Slabs during the missions as you capture Pokemon, and these Heart Slabs allow you to use different Partner Pokemon, who also level up and become stronger. It's the closest thing the Ranger games have to the traditional Pokemon training, and it's a pretty cool feature. You can play with up to three other friends (they need their own game card), locally of course, with each player drawing circles together to weaken Pokemon, summoning their own Pokemon Assists, and also drawing special shapes like triangles and squares together to create super-powered capture lines. It's quite fun, I've heard (I never knew anyone else with Pokemon Ranger when I was in college), and there are a lot of missions to do. It's a pretty innovative mode, and it's clear the developers worked hard on it rather than throwing it in at the last minute to fulfill some multiplayer quota...

But, there's one fatal flaw: the mission difficulty is not scaled by how many players there are. What this means is that if you don't have any friends with a copy of Ranger 3 (and it was hard when it first came out to find people with the game, imagine how the situation is now), you are literally fucked, because the missions are designed for multiple players, and many of them quickly become frustrating or nearly impossible when you try to solo them. This wouldn't be that big of an issue, perhaps, if single player content wasn't locked behind clearing the missions. For one, a large majority of the game's backstory and lore is told through clearing the missions, so you'll miss out on that. There are also areas within the main game blocked by stone slabs, that only disappear when you clear the corresponding mission. These aren't necessary to beat the main game, but they contain rare Pokemon you can't find anywhere else, meaning you'll be unable to complete the game's Pokemon Browser and thus, unable to "catch 'em all". It's a shame the developers didn't think to scale the difficulty of the missions for players without anyone to play with, so you'll miss out on quite a bit of content unless you're extremely good at drawing circles and attempt to do them on your own. I'm not sure if anyone's ever cleared the missions on their own...actually, I'm not sure if anyone's cleared all the missions playing with others even.

The game this time around is set on the island region of Oblivia, which makes for a pretty nice looking location to traverse. The plot, unfortunately, isn't as good as Shadows of Almia, but is probably a bit more interesting than the usual fare. Your character, a professional Pokemon Ranger, is shot down over the island and must put a stop to the Pokemon Pinchers, more or less this game's Team Rocket, and an organization pulling the strings known as the Societea. In the original version, the organization was actually known as the Tea Party---yup, there's a Pokemon game where you get to fight the Tea Party. Many speculate the name was changed due to worries over offending the real-life group, although it's unlikely anyone in that group would ever know about a Pokemon Ranger game. The biggest flaw of the plot is perhaps the delivery, as the very energetic and fun localization of Shadows of Almia is gone, replaced by a localization that feels much more stilted, with less interesting characters and scenarios. There's also perhaps too much dialogue and cutscenes interspersed between the action, slowing the pacing down. I actually never go around to finishing the game, though, so I don't know if the plot picks up later on---I need to get around to beating it one day.

One praise to give to this game is that it's probably the best looking, sprite-based Pokemon game. It looks really nice, and the bright colors of the Oblivia Region really pop. Once more, it's a shame the team behind this never got to work on the main series game, as I would've preferred this style to what we got for Black and White, even though the latter certainly wasn't too ugly. The music is this one is also pretty catchy, especially the song that plays when you ride on the Legendary Beasts, which sounds like an old-school Tokusatsu song or something like you'd hear in Kamen Rider.

Guardian Signs was released at the tail end of Generation IV, the last Pokemon game released before Black and White, and seems to have been inspired a bit by Heart Gold and Soul Silver, since Pichu and the Legendary Beasts are heavily featured in the game. None of the Generation V Pokemon made any cameo appearances---it would've been cool to have another "sneak peak transfer bonus" like Manaphy was for a Gen V Pokemon. Once more, though, a WiFi Mission allows you to get Manaphy once more, as well as Missions to get Heatran, Deoxys, and Shaymin to transfer to your Generation IV games, but these are no longer available.

Although I don't like Guardian Signs as much as Shadows of Almia---I find the latter to be a much more tighter experience, it certainly isn't bad, and has a lot of cool new ideas. If you can play the multiplayer mode with a friend, there's a lot of content as well. Regardless of how well it was received, though, it was the final game in the Pokemon Ranger franchise, and I'd say it ended on an overall positive note. But if you're only gonna play one Pokemon Ranger, play Shadows of Almia.

Guardian Signs received two, five-minute animated shorts that were aired on Pokemon Sunday and later available online, featuring the male protagonist, Ben, and Ukulele Pichu chasing after the Pokemon Pinchers. It was more or less simply the beginning of the game, and thus it ended on a cliffhanger. Ben later appeared in the main series during the Diamond and Pearl Series in episode 169, "Pokemon Ranger: Heatran Rescue Mission", which aired a couple of days before Guardian Signs was released in Japan. Ben and Ash work together to save a Heatran, utilizing the power of the Guardian Signs. This served to also tie in to the Heatran Wi-Fi Event in Guardian Signs. This episode is sort of weird, though, because he straight up summons Pokemon out of nowhere, which while is okay in a game, looks out of place in the show. Ben also acts different than how he acted in the animated shorts, and Ukulele Pichu is absent, so it's less canon to the games. This was the last Pokemon Ranger appearance in the show, and since then they haven't appeared nor been mentioned. Even though there's no games to tie in, it would've been cool to see more of them. The show certainly would've been spiced up had Ash become a Pokemon Ranger, which actually at one point was thought to be a possibility when Movie 9 was advertised as "Pokemon Ranger". Since the original teaser aired at the end of Movie 8 showed a silhouette of Ash, quite a few people thought we were in for a big shake-up. But, alas, it was merely a spin-off tie-in that is now forgotten about.

The Future...

As far as gaming trilogies go, Pokemon Ranger had a good life. It had three solid games which improved on the formula in each edition, although perhaps in ways that some found detrimental to the challenge, and it was clear the developers had an interest in giving players new experiences rather than simply rehashing the same game three times. But, as of Guardian Signs, I think it was clear they had sort of exhausted the formula, and thus I don't blame them for ending the series. In my opinion, it had a peaceful, quiet death, whereas its brothers Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon had one that was a bit more painful with a less-than-stellar 3DS entry that disappointed many. But Mysterious Dungeon had perhaps flown too close to the sun with the excellent Explorer games, while Ranger always lived a much more subtle existence, so there wasn't as much to lose.

While there have been two Generations of Pokemon released since the last Pokemon Ranger, more Pokemon isn't enough to justify the continuation of the series on its own. Unlike the main game, the Pokemon in Pokemon Ranger aren't as individualized, so simply having a new cast of them isn't the answer. Perhaps moving to the Wii-U would provide for some interesting gameplay mechanics, though, or the 3DS. Either way, while the circle-drawing mechanic doesn't need to stay, I like the idea of the Pokemon Rangers---a special task force utilizing the power of Pokemon---and want to see that expanded upon more. It's a shame the Pokemon Rangers as a concept have been completely dropped, with no mention in the games, show, or any other media since. One of them appearing in the main game would be pretty neat, and I secretly want to see a Pokemon Ranger appear in Smash as a playable character with Pokemon Summons, but I don't even think Pokemon Ranger was mentioned by the chronicle in Smash Brothers Brawl.

With the Wii U rumored to perhaps be getting DS games in the future, or perhaps the New 3DS, maybe we'll see a Virtual Console release of these games? It'd be nice to make them more readily available to those who missed out the first time, as they're probably hard to come by nowadays. I feel like while most people skipped over them at retail, they might enjoy a healthier life when they're offered up digitally, and likely cheaper than when they were full-priced games.

At this point, Game Freak has gone into overdrive producing the main games (perhaps to their detriment), and I imagine we'll soon learn about our mainline 2015 game, even though some think we'll actually have a break this year, so it seems spin-offs aren't as important to the Pokemon Company to fill the gaps like they used to. We're getting rather, in my opinion, cheap titles like the Rumble Series and the Puzzle F2P game, with the spin-offs that were full fledged adventures disappearing. Perhaps, though, this year things may be different with Pokken which shows promise, and the Detective Pikachu game that's being worked on, which I'm anticipating far more than Pokken. Maybe we'll finally get a new Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon that doesn't only include 1/6th of all the Pokemon. Or, maybe they'll surprise us, and Pokemon Ranger will live again!

Thank you for your time! I hope I've educated you on a series that I consider oddly obscure considering what franchise it is part of, and I want to see more Pokemon fans give these games a chance. The Pokemon World is still an amazing place with a lot of potential, and we need more games that look at the world from a different perspective as opposed to the main series, which I feel has been losing some of its luster lately. I want to see The Pokemon Company experiment more!. A lot of people wrote these games off because they were about "drawing circles", but in this post-QTE world, I feel we've learned that games can run the gamut when it comes to the gameplay they feature. Drawing Circles is just as legitimate of a gameplay mechanic as anything else, and when properly implemented, can be just as entertaining.

Pretty much forced myself through the first (?) game solely for Manaphy and, yeah, didn't really like it. It was actually a bit more fun than I thought it would be, but not enough to get me to want to play any more of them.

Tried the first game long ago. Drawing circles was not very fun or engaging.

At first I wasn't in to the idea. But it really does get pretty intense. Especially during the Deoxys capture. Not for everyone, but really interesting series nonetheless.

Plus, all that fanart of Solana....
Good posts though. Hopefully more people pick them up.

Edit: Mystery Dungeon is good but Pokemon Rumble U is probably the best spin-off(personally).

Watch Da Birdie

Tried the first game long ago. Drawing circles was not very fun or engaging.

Dénouement;153218063 said:
Pretty much forced myself through the first (?) game solely for Manaphy and, yeah, didn't really like it. It was actually a bit more fun than I thought it would be, but not enough to get me to want to play any more of them.

The second and third make the circle drawing far less frustating, in the original you couldn't lift the stylus off the screen or you'd have to start over with the Pokemon as their "health recovered", in the sequels you can actually rest between drawing circles, and the Pokemon only recover health slowly if you wait too long.

It's literally the Achilles heel of the original, and thankfully the team realized it...although perhaps some found that the true challenge?

I remember beating the second one back when it released. Tried it again recently and it really isn't fun at all. It's a massive chore, if anything.

I can think of at least three Pokemon spinoffs that are more enjoyable than the Ranger games.

It's sad what's happened to the Pokémon spinoffs of late. I know they weren't always great, but we've lost the variety we used to have. Even the surprisingly good Mystery Dungeon series had a hiccup with Gates To Infinity and promptly disappeared. I'd love a 3DS Ranger or something a bit meatier.

Or a new Pokémon Snap, of course. That only isn't the best spinoff series because it never got given the chance to become a series. :(

Watch Da Birdie

It's sad what's happened to the Pokémon spinoffs of late. I know they weren't always great, but we've lost the variety we used to have. Even the surprisingly good Mystery Dungeon series had a hiccup with Gates To Infinity and promptly disappeared. I'd love a 3DS Ranger or something a bit meatier.

Or a new Pokémon Snap, of course. That only isn't the best spinoff series because it never got given the chance to become a series. :(

I've never played them, but the PokePark games seem pretty neat too...the first was basically a mini-game collection, but the second was more along the lines of a 3D Adventure with platforming elements and "action battles". I hope they release them on the Wii U via the Wii VC soon so I can try them out, I'd love to see a third since they were heading more to a full-fledged adventure.

ChrisD

The second and third make the circle drawing far less frustating, in the original you couldn't lift the stylus off the screen or you'd have to start over with the Pokemon as their "health recovered", in the sequels you can actually rest between drawing circles, and the Pokemon only recover health slowly if you wait too long.

It's literally the Achilles heel of the original, and thankfully the team realized it...although perhaps some found that the true challenge?

Yeah, I actually preferred the original. Preferred. I don't know if I'd have the patience for it anymore, but the health bar of Shadows of Almia made everything way too easy imo. I think it would have been better if they had:

a.) Notched health, where you have to completely eliminate each notch in a single go, else it fills back ala the first game,
or
b.) Healed a whole lot faster.

Though I do seem to remember abusing Mime Jr. with what I seem to recall being a ridiculously safe to use, good damaging ability.

They were definitely fun though, that's for sure!

AirJay

Neo Member
I've only played the first Pokemon Ranger and I liked it, but it's far from my favorite Pokemon spin off.

My top 5 would be:
1. Pokemon Conquest
2. Pokemon Colosseum
3. Pokemon Snap
4. Pokemon Stadium 2
5. Pokemon Pinball

Top Bottom