• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's weird how nearly every Mortal Kombat clone was laughably awful

ScOULaris

When Mortal Kombat took arcades by storm in the early 90's, it spawned an endless sea of clones that looked to cash in on the violent fighting game series' success. Where Street Fighter's success spawned many pixel-art fighting games from Japanese developers, Mortal Kombat inspired countless western-developed violent fighting games with digitized actors.

While Capcom's 2D fighters had plenty of healthy competition in the way of SNK's stable of excellent fighting game series, Mortal Kombat pretty much went unopposed within its niche throughout the entire decade for one simple reason: almost every single MK clone ever developed sucked ASS.

tafirediar.jpg
tasnake.jpg

And I don't just mean that most MK clones failed to best the game they were looking to emulate. Oh, no. By and large every single one of them was straight-up awful in every way, many of them featuring borderline broken gameplay and failing to get any aspect of the genre right. Stiff controls, horrendous sound design and character animation, braindead AI for CPU opponents, laughable fatality design, stages that were comprised of stitched-together photographic elements... etc. MK clones basically became a joke within the industry while Ed Boon and his team kept cranking out one successful MK sequel after another.

So... what gives? How did NOBODY else manage to make a halfway decent digitized-actor fighting game?

Personally, I chalk it up to the fact that the fighting game genre was really the domain of Japanese developers at that time. Mortal Kombat was never as polished or playable as its Japanese contemporaries in the gameplay department, and its success was largely due to its shock value and eye-catching graphical presentation. The problem with most MK clones was that they were simply trying to ape that shock value and little else. While MK couldn't stand up to most Japanese fighters in the competitive gameplay department, it definitely held its own in terms of character design, stage design, and audiovisual spectacle. Nearly all MK clones looked and sounded like pure garbage when held up next to MK, the very game that they were seeking to emulate.

Hell, even a talented studio like Naughty Dog managed to make a garbage-tier MK clone (Way of the Warrior on 3DO).

I've always had a fascination with these MK clones, so I'm gonna post some links below if you want to look into the subject further. It's pretty interesting.

Related Links

nkarafo

Funny and sad.

I would kill for a modern 2D Mortal Kombat with 2D digitized assets but this time in HD and 24-30 individual frames of animation instead of what we got in the old games, 3? It would literally look like a movie.

Arcade version looks a bit smoother but still not as good as i would hope.

Skilletor

For the most part, western devs are awful at making fighting games. Especially when their goal was a derivative of MK.

Lab Zero, NRS, and Iron Galaxy are the only ones that have done it.

OG KI, I guess, although I always thought those games were garbage.

DrArchon

The history of MK clones is fascinating. Every single developer went in their with only two goals in mind for their games:

-digitized actors
-fatalities

As if those were the only things that made MK good. Not the recognizable stereotypical character designs cribbed from Big Trouble in Little China, not the quality of the gameplay, not the decent CPU fights, just the purely visual stuff, like they never intended to make good games and just wanted to scam people coming into arcades by making them think their game was like MK. Not unlike mobile devs naming their games with certain keywords in them, like "candy", "crush", "thrones", "clash", and other things.

AC_SF_Movie_Gameplay.png

Hell, even Capcom couldn't make a good MK clone! Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game is dogshit! How could Capcom, makers of some of the best fighting games of all time, fuck up that badly?!

Oh wait, because they ALSO didn't care about quality and got INCREDIBLE TECHNOLOGIES (trumpets), makers of such classics as BLOODSTORM and TIME KILLERS, to make their MK clone.

Buy me Bloodstorm or go to hell!

I was always more into the non-digitized MK clones. I remember a lot of Time Killers at the arcade. I didn't have a genesis but I always wanted to play Eternal Champions. I don't think I ever actually played on a Bloodstorm machine. Primal Rage had the best cabinet art. KI on the SNES was fun for what it was.

lazygecko

Didn't see this gem mentioned in the video or article

Pray for Death

Also I would probably say that Eternal Champions outdoes the competition (including MK itself) when it comes to the quality/presentation of the gore gimmick (especially the Sega CD version). Instead of being cheap photoshop edits of the sprites, everything is intricately designed by hand and looks visceral as hell.

ScOULaris

Funny and sad.

I would kill for a modern 2D Mortal Kombat with 2D digitized assets but this time in HD and 24-30 individual frames of animation instead of what we got in the old games, 3? It would literally look like a movie.

Arcade version looks a bit smoother but still not as good as i would hope.

Or convincing 3D models that emulate the look of digitized actors.

The problem is that making a proper fighting game with all the systems necessary is actually super crazy difficult and complex. You can easily whip a very basic fighter together within a few days, but if you look at Street Fighter or the better SNK fighting games, the logic that's going on in the background is actually pretty fucking complex.

So most devs just didn't want to put in the actual work - they scratched the surface by doing things like digitized fighters, but really didn't do a proper job at all in terms of working out their combat system. Even Mortal Kombat was pretty ridiculous compared to Super Street Fighter and the likes.

I remember being a kid and knowing that Timekillers and SF the Movie the game were absolute dogshit.

Namco's Weaponlord was hella underrated though, for what it attempted to do.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No question MK clones were knockoffs that were poorly done. They were cheap cash ins and didn't make a splash because they appeared on failed consoles (Jaguar/3DO), or never showed up in arcades (Tatoo Assassins).

But! WWF Wrestlemania Arcade was pretty good!

cireza

I would love this too.

gelf

I don't know if it counts but Eternal Champions was OK.
Yeah I'm not sure what EC would count as. I'd say it started out being inspired by Street Fighter 2 but it's darker tone fit in with taking fatalities from MK. It's a bit of both.

It certainly a much better game then any of the digitised crap. The Pixel art stood the test of time.

fronn

Didn't see this gem mentioned in the video or article

Pray for Death

Also I would probably say that Eternal Champions outdoes the competition (including MK itself) when it comes to the quality/presentation of the gore gimmick (especially the Sega CD version). Instead of being cheap photoshop edits of the sprites, everything is intricately designed by hand and looks visceral as hell.

Pray for Death appears to me to be more of a direct KI ripoff than MK (that's not to say that KI wasn't itself an MK ripoff in some ways)

thefro

I wouldn't call Killer Instinct a straight-up clone, but it's probably the best series directly inspired by MK.

ScOULaris

fuck you survival arts is amazing

Oh don't get me wrong. I ironically love a lot of these MK clones. When I was a less discerning kid I was all over the Survival Arts machine at my local movie theater. As long as a fighting game had digitized actors and fatalities, I was all about it back then. I just loved that style.

I guess that's what most of these western devs were banking on when they cobbled together these clones.

Sephzilla

Old MK clones sucked because they were cloning games that mostly sucked anyways.

This is the truth, honestly. The old MK games really weren't that good from a gameplay perspective - which is why the franchise struggled after the goresploitation phase wore off on gamers.

came to post this. Eternal Champions was good

I really liked it. I was hyped by the screens and the reviews in the magazines... I even bought it (I was 13 then). Never revisited tho. I have so many good memories I don't want to screw them.

OT, if by clone you mean fighting game with digitalized actors: 100% agree. If you include any game with fatalities (like Eternal Champions), then 'no'

fronn

Naughty Dog have always made great games.

tumblr_nmkys1VJOi1skasmxo2_500.gif

Fucking masterpiece.

I actually loved that game growing up... at least I thought I did at the time. I played it a lot, probably because there just weren't very many good 3DO games.

Sort of surprised how long it took for it to be mentioned in this thread!

ScOULaris

Primal Rage tho

I loved Primal Rage. Killer Instinct was also good.

That's why I said "nearly all MK clones" in the thread title.

But if you look strictly at the flat-out clones (with digitized actors), then I think we can confidently say that they all sucked.

GooeyHeat

bullshit!

GPfD0nk.png
Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire is seriously better than any digitized actor Mortal Kombat. It's way more fun and feels much better. Plus it has THREE different versions of Jackie Chan! I never thought the old MK games felt all that good to play in the first place, anyway, so maybe that's just me...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Making fighting games is really hard. It makes sense that low budget games made only to cash in on MK's main gimmicks (digitizing and gore) would be pretty awful.

I agree though that Killer Instinct was an interesting crossover. Rare cared about having unique and decent play mechanics, but definitely incorporated MK's dark, gritty, photo-realistic ultraviolent style.

NeonZ

The history of MK clones is fascinating. Every single developer went in their with only two goals in mind for their games:

-digitized actors
-fatalities

As if those were the only things that made MK good. Not the recognizable stereotypical character designs cribbed from Big Trouble in Little China, not the quality of the gameplay, not the decent CPU fights, just the purely visual stuff, like they never intended to make good games and just wanted to scam people coming into arcades by making them think their game was like MK. Not unlike mobile devs naming their games with certain keywords in them, like "candy", "crush", "thrones", "clash", and other things.

AC_SF_Movie_Gameplay.png

Hell, even Capcom couldn't make a good MK clone! Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game is dogshit! How could Capcom, makers of some of the best fighting games of all time, fuck up that badly?!

Oh wait, because they ALSO didn't care about quality and got INCREDIBLE TECHNOLOGIES (trumpets), makers of such classics as BLOODSTORM and TIME KILLERS, to make their MK clone.

Actually, there's one exception there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter:_The_Movie_(console_video_game)

The console version is actually based on SSF2T. Now, it still wasn't a great game, but certainly stands above all the random MK clones, including the original arcade version of Street Fighter The Movie The Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEneeaLd1z0

AlexBasch

Yeah! I always love reading and knowing about those awful clone games from YT videos and reviewers. I still remember thinking that the Tattoo Assassin's game was a prank or something from Fools Day.

"No fucking way" doesn't describe it.

Top Bottom