• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its weird that Nintendo left EVO and left a lane wide open for Multiversus

Seems like perfect timing for Warner Bros, like lightning struck for them with the timing. I went back and read some threads about nintendo pulling out in March and no one had any idea what Multiversus was or if it had leaked by then no one thought it would amount to anything.

Fast forward to today and its a huge hit at EVO, people are hype, and its getting sweaty. Player numbers are skyrocketing. It’s like Nintendo pulling Smash Bros created a huge vacuum for another platform fighter to come and drink up all the milkshake.

Daniel Day Lewis GIF

Seems like Nickelodeon All Stars saw it coming but failed to seize the opportunity. Now theres no coming back for smash bros

What's this "sweaty" term I keep reading about recently? People getting panic attacks about losing?

Smash Bros is gone because Sony owns EVO and Nintendo decided to partner with Panda Global in the US

Shifty

MultiVersus was going to slam through the wall like a kool aid man full of money regardless of Nintendo's actions. Their absence just makes it a better position.

Smash Ultimate has sold over 28 million copies. They don't need EVO or anyone else for promotion unfortunately.
I think Nintendo and smash are going to be just fine.
Im not really questioning smash bros future, it already sold what i had to sell.

I’m saying how nintendo pretty much handed the baton for Multiversus to thrive. It was just really good timing for it to come out when it did and secure that spot

https://www.dexerto.com/smash/smash-players-blast-nintendo-as-multiversus-dominates-evo-1895627/

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's Nintendo complacency, sometimes they get away with it, sometimes they don't. The benefit of having a lot of good IP's, some great in house developers, and market all to themselves the past few years.

anthony2690

Banned
Smash leaving evo is the best thing ever.

Fresher air to breathe, 99% less smell.

The children are safe.

Also it doesn't waste time on the final day! Woo.

Also smash Bros will be fine without Evo, it will continue to sell gangbusters, and I'm sure multiversus will strive too, assuming it is well supported.

Nick all stars always looked awful, I honestly thought people were trolling when they said they were hyped.

Himuro

That's assuming the game is competitive enough to be at Evo. Just because a game exists doesn't mean. It will be played. Weird argument. If that game has a scene that lasts more than two weeks let me know. This game isn't even out yet, doesn't have a proven track record, nor an actual player base for a scene. Fighting games are built on scenes, not just playing it because a company says to. Are you in the fgc?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It did just launch... If it can keep this momentum throughout its lifespan Smash might have a competitor for once. Which is good seeing how it all frankly went downhill after Brawl

Knightime_X

What's this "sweaty" term I keep reading about recently? People getting panic attacks about losing?

Smash Bros is gone because Sony owns EVO and Nintendo decided to partner with Panda Global in the US
Sweaty is an overly aggressive player fully determined to win.

Lasha

ELO systems eventually put you at a level where success is not guaranteed because your opponents are at your level or better. "Sweaty" was coined to describe this phenomenon. Its almost exclusively used by less skilled players to describe competition.

Nintendo is probably fine. The competitive smash community represents a tiny fraction of Smash owners. The Smash competitive community grew in spite of Nintendo for the most part. I don't think the series is in any danger. Multiversus has eyes now because WB is spending hard on astroturfing to jumpstart a community. We won't know how successful the game is for a year or more when the initial hype dies down.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
One year from now, you will have trouble the name of the game.

And Nintendo will keep ignoring everyone.

And will sell more games than any of it's clones combined.

People once said the same kinds of things about games like traditional Call of Duty. Remember when they even tried calling it a "prestige shooter". Heh. First cheaper, more minimalist games (like PUBG) then eventually free to play games rose to prominence and ate half their lunch - collectively growing impossibly larger than CoD could ever dream to be. We're talking daily concurrent players on Fortnite alone being between 2m - 4m, while the latest CoD hovers around 7 thousand on the largest PC platform.

A good game could do the same to Smash. In fact with the way Smash is kid focused and almost never falls in price, history would suggest that it's an inevitability that other cheaper or free fighter games should eventually siphon off much of Smash's younger audiences.

I don't know if Multiversus is that game, but one should eventually come. And then another, and another.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not really weird that Nintendo left EVO all things considered. Aren't they working on their own thing?

Barakov

Seems like perfect timing for Warner Bros, like lightning struck for them with the timing. I went back and read some threads about nintendo pulling out in March and no one had any idea what Multiversus was or if it had leaked by then no one thought it would amount to anything.

Fast forward to today and its a huge hit at EVO, people are hype, and its getting sweaty. Player numbers are skyrocketing. It’s like Nintendo pulling Smash Bros created a huge vacuum for another platform fighter to come and drink up all the milkshake.

Daniel Day Lewis GIF

Seems like Nickelodeon All Stars saw it coming but failed to seize the opportunity. Now theres no coming back for smash bros
Honestly, this probably one of the most Nintendo things they've done in a while. For better and worse Nintendo is going to do what they want. I still think Smash Bros. is probably the biggest happy accident in gaming.

That's assuming the game is competitive enough to be at Evo. Just because a game exists doesn't mean. It will be played. Weird argument. If that game has a scene that lasts more than two weeks let me know. This game isn't even out yet, doesn't have a proven track record, nor an actual player base for a scene. Fighting games are built on scenes, not just playing it because a company says to. Are you in the fgc?
A 100,000 dollar prize pool was put up by the publishers, and the finals were played at Evo last night:

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People are pointing out that Smash is a huge seller but forget the fact that MultiVersus is a free-to-play multiplatform title. It's currently sitting at 7th on the Most Games Played on Xbox and 7th on steam at over 90k players.

It still remains to be seen how successful this will be, but if this game maintains a healthy player base, then devs are going to continue to add content.

What also helps is that the netcode is better than Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Fbh

No one cares about "pro" smash.
Its first and foremost a party game and thus they don't need Evo or any other event.

Nintendo also probably isn't too excited to deal with the amazing pro smash community

I wonder when someone does the same with kart racing.

The thing is, there doesn't really seem to be much of a demand for Kart Racers that aren't Mario Kart.

We've had stuff like Sonic All-star racing Transformed and the CTR remake which IMO were at least comparable to a Mario Kart in quality and released on multiple platforms....and neither of them really gained any traction.

The thing is, there doesn't really seem to be much of a demand for Kart Racers that aren't Mario Kart.

We've had stuff like Sonic All-star racing Transformed and the CTR remake which IMO were at least comparable to a Mario Kart in quality and released on multiple platforms....and neither of them really gained any traction.
Yeah that is a fair point. Fighting games are inherently niche but there is always the potential for broad appeal, but yeah I guess with kart racers people want to play Mario Kart, and that is that.

No one cares about "pro" smash.
Its first and foremost a party game and thus they don't need Evo or any other event.

Nintendo also probably isn't too excited to deal with the amazing pro smash community

Maybe people just aren’t interested in those IP. Sonic and Crash universe aren’t really characters that set the world on fire.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's brand recognition, really
Mario Kart was the first to do it and do it right. By the time everyone else caught up MK established themselves as the king. Mario Kart is FAR more popular than smash, so while multiversus overtaking smash is feasible albeit hard, another kart racer dethroning smash is kind of questionable

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
You should want nintendo to have competition, you don’t have to defend a corporation. Competition is only better for the consumer
I'm not defending a corporation, just pointing out how there is no evidence multiversus will have lasting impact. If this game is abandoned in less than 2 years, the worse thing Nintendo can do is try to take any lessons from it.
People once said the same kinds of things about games like traditional Call of Duty. Remember when they even tried calling it a "prestige shooter". Heh. First cheaper, more minimalist games (like PUBG) then eventually free to play games rose to prominence and ate half their lunch - collectively growing impossibly larger than CoD could ever dream to be. We're talking daily concurrent players on Fortnite alone being between 2m - 4m, while the latest CoD hovers around 7 thousand on the largest PC platform.

A good game could do the same to Smash. In fact with the way Smash is kid focused and almost never falls in price, history would suggest that it's an inevitability that other cheaper or free fighter games should eventually siphon off much of Smash's younger audiences.

I don't know if Multiversus is that game, but one should eventually come. And then another, and another.
Yet, Sony is begging regulators to not let cod become exclusive to Xbox. That's how "unimportant" the franchise has become.

It's good that multiversus exists, but is the launch hype evidence that Nintendo just lost a huge chunk of it's potential market for good? Don't count on it. This is, just like you said, "another and another".

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yet, Sony is begging regulators to not let cod become exclusive to Xbox. That's how "unimportant" the franchise has become.

Yes, Sony and Xbox are now fighting over the leftover scraps. It's germane to the conversation but not in the way that you think.

MrA

Too many confirmed weirdos in that community. I 100% support Nintendo not giving them a platform.
Oh come on how many weirdos could the smash bros community have , im going to Google and be right back
Well that was unpleasant

Grechy34

Daniel Day Lewis GIF

Nintendo don't care for competitive smash. Smash competitive players haven't quite come to grips with this yet.

Top Bottom