• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We celebrate Nintendos true handheld...

Kazza

Regular all day. Some folks like the larger form factor but it makes the graphics look noticeably worse and the smaller form factor fits perfectly in my hands. Best to try both of them out and see what works as I never liked the original hardware as it felt too small/cheap looking.

Thanks. I think it looks better too, with the Super Famicom-style coloured buttons. It's just a shame they aren't producing new ones. Guess I'll have to grab a refurbished or 2nd hand one.

Whoops, I thought this was about the GOAT handheld.

250px-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-Mk1-Blue.jpg

Codes 208

I gotta go with the GBA SP as the superior handheld. Backlit for convience back in a time when this tech was relatively new. Access to one of the best gaming libraries (GB, GBC and GBA), the first clamshell design for easy access and storage. No needs for external memory. And this system pretty much dominated my middle-school years.

The DS Lite is a close second. ergonomically the best feeling system, pocket friendly, good battery life and wireless local MP. Alongside the DS's amazing library, it too has access to GBA games unlike the 3ds (even with VC)

The 3ds isnt bad though, I'll gladly take it over Sony's alternatives. But it hasnt wowed me in the same way the GBA and DS did.

Last edited:
I gotta go with the GBA SP as the superior handheld. Backlit for convience back in a time when this tech was relatively new. Access to one of the best gaming libraries (GB, GBC and GBA), the first clamshell design for easy access and storage. No needs for external memory. And this system pretty much dominated my middle-school years.

The DS Lite is a close second. ergonomically the best feeling system, pocket friendly, good battery life and wireless local MP. Alongside the DS's amazing library, it too has access to GBA games unlike the 3ds (even with VC)

The 3ds isnt bad though, I'll gladly take it over Sony's alternatives. But it hasnt wowed me in the same way the GBA and DS did.
The way you describe the GBA is how I felt about the original Gameboy.

To me, the DS was the culmination of (almost) everything the GBA did right, since the DS continued getting 2d/sprite-based titles. I had a lot of fun on GBA but DS felt like a true leap forward. I had been waiting for a leap like the DS since childhood.

So as a DS lover, 3DS felt like the culmination of (almost) everything the DS did right. Alone, it's library is weaker than the DS's but since it can play both it's a moot point. My buddy and I argue about this all the time: he thinks DS Lite is the best handheld because it can play GBA + DS. I think N3DS is the best handheld because it can play DS + 3DS.

Codes 208

The way you describe the GBA is how I felt about the original Gameboy.

To me, the DS was the culmination of (almost) everything the GBA did right, since the DS continued getting 2d/sprite-based titles. I had a lot of fun on GBA but DS felt like a true leap forward. I had been waiting for a leap like the DS since childhood.

So as a DS lover, 3DS felt like the culmination of (almost) everything the DS did right. Alone, it's library is weaker than the DS's but since it can play both it's a moot point. My buddy and I argue about this all the time: he thinks DS Lite is the best handheld because it can play GBA + DS. I think N3DS is the best handheld because it can play DS + 3DS.
Ironically its for that reason I find the GBA SP and DS Lite on equal footing. The GBA is fully BC with GB and GBC while the DS can play DS and GBA (but not GB and GBC)

While I have no dislikes towards the 3ds, its easily my third favorite handheld, when it came out it just didnt have the same magic I got from playing SM64DS for the first time. The DS also, arguably, got the best pokemon gens while the 3ds's were downsteps (minus OR/AS, I loved gen 3) and technically as they stand, yup, the 3ds is the best handsdown due to being the culmination. But taking each for their merits in their time I'd go:

GBA/GBASP > DS > 3DS > GBC/GB > PSP > Gamegear >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vita

But rather than look back, I'm curious where they'll go from here. I know people are deadset on the Switch replacing the 3ds, but unless they make a switch lite, I want a handheld focused successor to the 3ds.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Great system still get a lot of play time out it even though I have the switch as well.

Want the switch to do 3DS Numbers.
Too many great games to mention.

I wish the New and XL 3DS kept the DS slot as well that was a great bonus oh well.

Ironically its for that reason I find the GBA SP and DS Lite on equal footing. The GBA is fully BC with GB and GBC while the DS can play DS and GBA (but not GB and GBC)

While I have no dislikes towards the 3ds, its easily my third favorite handheld, when it came out it just didnt have the same magic I got from playing SM64DS for the first time. The DS also, arguably, got the best pokemon gens while the 3ds's were downsteps (minus OR/AS, I loved gen 3) and technically as they stand, yup, the 3ds is the best handsdown due to being the culmination. But taking each for their merits in their time I'd go:

GBA/GBASP > DS > 3DS > GBC/GB > PSP > Gamegear >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vita

But rather than look back, I'm curious where they'll go from here. I know people are deadset on the Switch replacing the 3ds, but unless they make a switch lite, I want a handheld focused successor to the 3ds.
I wouldn't mind if Switch's successor was a handheld-only that happened to also play Switch games. I like it when Nintendo enables you to play multiple generations of physical carts on their handhelds. DS has the better and larger library, no doubt about it. The 3DS is definitely the Super Nintendo to the DS's NES, in terms of quantity of games. I do appreciate the extra horsepower of the 3DS for stuff like DQ7 and Monster Hunter. But it mostly feels like a continuation of the DS's original mission of pushing more SNES/N64-style games.

Random aside: have you modded your GBA to have the backlit screen? I don't have a GBA collection but I have two good friends who are both nuts for the GBA library and they have multiple GBAs and SPs. They put an AGS 101 screen into the football GBA and the thing is pretty much a perfect machine now.

On a GBA tip my favorite is easily the GB Micro:

41KdkN5kL6L.jpg

Perfect form factor and the dot pitch on the screen combined with how vivid it is made it the ultimate version for me. Throw in a flash cart and you're set as it has an awesome library of fun games.

Getting back to the 3DS aside from the huge F Zero X oversight that makes me slightly sad to even think about I can't believe they didn't release SM64 which works with a proper analog. Even an eShop only release would've been welcome but the one thing you can guarantee about Nintendo is that they will Nintendo. Each and every time.

Top Bottom