• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've never seen star wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not because I'm against it or anything, just never did it.

That's not the reason for this thread, though. My son wants to go see the new one because everyone at his school is talking about it. He's going to be six soon (in like a month) and has never seen any of them, either. My major question is, could a person new to the series go out and see the force awakens without having any experience beyond knowing that Darth Vader is a bad guy and Luke and Leia are related?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Not experiencing the originals is one of the best ways to enjoy the new movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They didn't give it a number on the posters for a reason. There's stuff you won't catch, but chances are your kid will like it and it'll give you an excuse to go back.

Force Awakens is a great spot to start.

It'll be rewarding to catch the nods to past films though but they aren't necessary to understand the story in TFA.

Yes, I know several people who watched TFA without any previous knowledge of Star Wars and they really enjoyed it.

I'd still recommend watching Episodes IV, V and VI beforehand though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
me either OP. I wouldn't mind watching the new one though. Seems easy enough to get into.

Hex

Banned
You can, but you honestly miss some things.
I would see if you can borrow the OT from someone and have a sit down and chill with my Pal time and try to see them first.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I think it helps to also know that Han Solo is a cool pilot dude who also helped defeat the empire in the original trilogy. Princess Leia and him are in love at the end of Return of the Jedi.

You could. The new movie does a pretty good job of being a kick-off point for new fans while also providing plenty of material that those who have seen the originals will enjoy and understand as well. Strikes a pretty good balance.

I think you'll enjoy it more if you do a quick run through the original trilogy, but you'll have no trouble keeping up with the plot and characters if it's all new to you. The new movie kind of treats the story of the originals like myth or legend, so if you don't know what happened, don't worry. Neither do the main characters. They learn stuff as you learn stuff.

Go watch it, if you like it maybe watch the original trilogy with your kid later. If you decide in the future that you do not like your kid then you can watch the prequels together.

I would say that The Force Awakens is a great jumping on point, and you and your son will probably really enjoy it.

I would say that there's probably some quality father/son bonding-time to be found in watching the classic trilogy together whenever you two have some time, either before or after The Force Awakens.

Yeah I don't care about me personally, it's more him. I want to take him because I don't want to have him be one of the nerds who are sad they missed out on seeing it in the theater on twenty years.

(I say this in full support of his burgeoning nerddom. He makes me proud )

Hazmat

Not experiencing the originals is one of the best ways to enjoy the new movie.

A perfect first post. The new movie is both a celebration of the originals and a perfect jumping-on point for new viewers. If your son likes it, buy the box set, watch 'em all, and then rewatch TFA when it comes out on DVD.

Why on earth are you guys suggesting he watch the OT first

'Hey, you know this easily palatable blockbuster? It actually needs 6-7 hours of viewing before you can get this!'

Just leave it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine that going in fresh is probably the best way to enjoy this movie. It's quite obvious that they designed it for a new generation.

There are a lot of things to nitpick if you know the previous films well.

Fury451

Banned
I would recommend at least watching Empire first. You'll be fine without it, but it gives a lot more emotional weight to the events if you've at last seen Empire Strikes Back.

Otherwise it's a soft reboot, even though they don't call it as such.

I strongly feel that you will get the MOST out of it by seeing the original trilogy, as there are a lot of moments that are way better with the nostalgia. The most tragic moments, the most cathartic moments, the funniest moments all rely on the original trilogy.

I would recommend at least watching Empire first. You'll be fine without it, but it gives a lot more emotional weight to the events if you've at last seen Empire Strikes Back.

Otherwise it's a soft reboot, even though they don't call it as such.

What does "soft reboot" mean? Because TFA is very much a direct continuation of the OT. Just set decades later. Reboot tells me that an old timeline has been overwritten or supplanted, which hasn't happened here. When I think "soft reboot," I think Star Trek '09, which acknowledges and literally overwrites the old timeline.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17629-1417525743-21.gif

Anyone wonder when and what context this was filmed in?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What does "soft reboot" mean? Because TFA is very much a direct continuation of the OT. Just set decades later. Reboot tells me that an old timeline has been overwritten or supplanted, which hasn't happened here. When I think "soft reboot," I think Star Trek '09, which acknowledges and literally overwrites the old timeline.

Star Trek '09 is very much a hard reboot. It ignores everything that had happened in the canon before it.

Whether or not the The Force Awakens is a 'soft reboot,' I think the point is that it represents a new starting point for the franchise. It easily stands on its own and doesn't require previous knowledge of Star Wars to enjoy. It follows the format of A New Hope very closely, which is why I think a lot of people are calling it a reboot.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If anything, you're more likely to tear your hair out if you were a fan of the original films.

But yes, TFA is still enjoyable nonetheless.

Toki767

All of my family members have never seen Star Wars and they all thought The Force Awakens was really good and are now interested in seeing the other movies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

That's not the reason for this thread, though. My son wants to go see the new one because everyone at his school is talking about it. He's going to be six soon (in like a month) and has never seen any of them, either. My major question is, could a person new to the series go out and see the force awakens without having any experience beyond knowing that Darth Vader is a bad guy and Luke and Leia are related?

anigif_enhanced-21858-1450474804-2.gif

RiZ III

I recently watched all three for the first time. Boring as sin. Sorry I said it. I imagine these must have been really cool 40 years ago when there were no big scale scifi movies, but watching now they're really bad.

Metalmarc

Just go and see it, it's a perfect jumping on point for newbies to the series, and it really is a film for the cinema for the first viewing, it has non stop action pretty much and is like a rollercoaster towards the end really fun.

Dont be that parent that denies your child this massive part of nerdom culture, because you will regret it and seeng as its on track to be the biggest film of all time in teh USA so you want to deny your son the chance of being part of a experience?

who knows OP you may even end up enjoying it yourself.

Metalmarc

I recently watched all three for the first time. Boring as sin. Sorry I said it. I imagine these must have been really cool 40 years ago when there were no big scale scifi movies, but watching now they're really bad.

Watch the new one then that will put that to rest.

koddas

Neo Member
I watched it yesterday with a friend who has never seen any of the other films and who had only a very rudimentary knowledge of the series and she ended up loving it despite not being a huge sci fi fan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Go for it, but you owe it to yourself and your son to watch the original trilogy.

Go to the cinema because watching it on the big screen is a treat. If you know the basics like what the force is then you will be fine. Afterwards if you enjoyed it watch the original trilogy and then the prequel trilogy and then the new one again to wash the prequel from your brain.

The digital animated clone wars show is fantastic and I'd imagine you and your son would both enjoy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom