• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Laughs: 4gamer.net interview with Iwata (JP only! Translations welcome!)

Alright, this is from page 5 so sorry for skipping ahead, but this section caught my eye.

There's more to that section, which I will do later, but I thought you all might be interested in this section.

Great section. This explains why some GBA games for sleep mode too built into the software.

Eolz

Mmmh...do we have Kawakami's feedback back from 2012?

Just what I was going to ask lol. I'm sure he said something behind the scenes too, Iwata seems a bit more open with the japanese game industry in terms of feedback, that Yamauchi.
I can't really picture a sleep mode for home consoles. Putting a game on pause and making the console spend next to no electricity? Can't picture that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just what I was going to ask lol. I'm sure he said something behind the scenes too, Iwata seems a bit more open with the japanese game industry in terms of feedback, that Yamauchi.
I can't really picture a sleep mode for home consoles. Putting a game on pause and making the console spend next to no electricity? Can't picture that.

If we find out Kawakami's feedback and that he lamented about the region lock...

Seriously, where's that feedback. We must find it

Clefargle

If we find out Kawakami's feedback and that he lamented about the region lock...

Seriously, where's that feedback. We must find it

Can someone interview Kawakami generally and then sneak that question in there somewhere? Could this be arranged??

????????!

Oregano

I think he is perhaps referencing unified development/architecture. It's no coincidence that (N)3DS and Wii U have all the same inputs.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frozen. It's not limited to video games.
True, i saw Frozen being mentioned indeed, but i read that as being related to what Iwata says regarding "physical media doesnt sell anymore" and gives examples of games that has sold a lot at retail in recent time. And Frozen was mentioned to show that people still go to the movies.

I dont think it will be much different from how PC works with sleep mode and hibernate mode.

Jackano

Bookmark and will read at lunch time.
Thanks for the hard work on translation guys, this sounds awesome (just saw the SSBM quote on twitter)!

ASIS

What about the japanese gaming market? Seeing that this is a japanese interview, i would guess that hes first and mostly talking about that, or definitelly counting it in. I dont see any specific examples being mentioned in the translation regarding this in the OP by the way.

But yeah, the indie scene has taken over a lot from what we had before. Games that are categorized as indie games today would in many cases have been AAA games back in the days (maybe not regarding advertisment budget, but at least regarding production values). Then there is all the phones and tablet games as well. I think there is still much diveristy to be had.
sorry for the late reply, but a very specific example is how the 3DS got four 2 million sellers in five months or something. That's a feat that's never been done before. Even the DS which had a much more powerful and diverse line up.

You know I remember NOE sending me a Wii U survey a while ago (might have been early 2013 even) and I did remark in one of the fields about sleep mode...I think I also mentioned how important fast loading was (I want to be able to start and stop games quickly).

You should watch his 2005 GDC keynote if you haven't already. Very interesting stuff.
That account has a few other keynotes worth watching too.

Sadist

Great stuff.

I already knew something vague about Iwata helping out with Melee, but going in depth is pretty cool.

test_account

XP-39C²
sorry for the late reply, but a very specific example is how the 3DS got four 2 million sellers in five months or something. That's a feat that's never been done before. Even the DS which had a much more powerful and diverse line up.
Sure, i was referring to if there arent variation in today's gaming market :) The 2 million sellers that Iwata mention was just to show that people still buy physical games.

Eolz

Any chance of this part being translated?

Thanks! Arigato!

I think there's a bit of a repeat of an explanation given during some investors Q&A: The DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU were partly designed so people not used to video games could start playing, and start transitioning either thanks to nintendo games evolving over a playthrough (like Style Savvy, random example) or just to other games (3rd party, different stuff, etc).
Also why some other companies think Nintendo is important to this industry. Easier to transition from a Nintendo console to a Sony one for example, than from a smartphone to a console (one of the dangers for this part of the industry).

Eolz

I didn't translate anything!
Just saying that this might be a bit of this, since they already talked about this subject in the past

Oh! In that case translation would still be appreciated.

I'm hoping it is a bit more detail about their games evolving as you play.

Or even just the page number that's it's on, so I can do some google/bing/systran automatic translation.

TheMoon

Oh! In that case translation would still be appreciated.

I'm hoping it is a bit more detail about their games evolving as you play.

Or even just the page number that's it's on, so I can do some google/bing/systran automatic translation.

My bullet point summary is chronological. You can compare against the translated parts. It's on the first page. Google translate is gibberish, hence why I did just write that random sentence about "tricking" people to play more involved games.

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
That was really fun to read! Thanks for the translation and all..

Master of Calculators is certainly a a nice title to have. :p

TheMoon

Does anybody happen to know if this was ever fully translated somewhere? Would be a nice thing to have now.

Top Bottom