• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata on third parties, hundreds of inquiries since GDC about Nintendo Web Framework

The Wii U doesn't offer "novelty" in the way that the Wii-mote did. Regardless of how innovative and revolutionary and #gamechanging Nintendo's faithful fanbase think the controller is, the rest of the world that hasn't been living under a rock doesn't find the idea of a touchscreen on a console particularly groundbreaking. To the casual observer, pun not intended, it looks like a "me too" product against the growth markets of iOS and Android gaming.
Hey, it's not Nintendo's fault that you can't understand why having two independent screens change the way of gaming even more than having motion controls...

Jackano

So, returning to the topic's core, hundreds of queries for the web framework is ok, but so far zero answer from Nintendo isn't it?

Spiegel

Hey, it's not Nintendo's fault that you can't understand why having two independent screens change the way of gaming even more than having motion controls...

No, it is Nintendo's fault. The thing isn't selling for a reason.

They haven't shown how having two independent screens change the way of gaming even more than having motion controls. Either that or people does not care, so shinra-bansho is still right.

I can understand the concept perfectly well. Look touch screen! Look two screens!! Look asymmetric gameplayTM!!! But like the rest of the world, Nintendo hasn't provided a reason for me or anyone else to care or shown how it has "changed the way of gaming." (Probably because it hasn't, and your statement is nonsense, but that aside). Ergo the market's response has been:
tumblr_m934gwoqoT1qcddv9.gif

I can understand the concept perfectly well. Look touch screen! Look two screens!! Look asymmetric gameplayTM!!! But like the rest of the world, Nintendo hasn't provided a reason for me or anyone else to care or shown how it has "changed the way of gaming." (Probably because it hasn't, and your statement is nonsense, but that aside). Ergo the market's response has been:
tumblr_m934gwoqoT1qcddv9.gif
Yes, if you were speaking in terms of the general consumer perspective then you're right, nintendo has failed to transmit the potential of the device.
I thought you were speaking in absolute terms, I mean, saying that the wiiU gamepad was just an iphone wannabe.

QaaQer

So launch Wii U titles look as good if not better than end-gen 360/Ps3 titles after developers have sucked every ounce of power out?

Its as if people don't realize the only logical way to compare graphics is via launch titles. Batman on Wii U looks significantly better than anything from the 360/Ps3 launch, COD:MW3 looks much better than Perfect Dark Zero. Heck just compare the graphics on specific consoles. Compare Oblivion to Skyrim, both on 360. Thats the sort of significant graphical leap you see from launch to late in the console life cycle. So if the Wii U is already running maxed-out Ps3/360 games, at launch, doesn't it make sense that the Wii U has to be more powerful? Is logic really so far out of reach of fanboys and trolls? Never underestimate how much further hardware can be pushed in a console, and definitely don't underestimate how highly clocked the Wii U CPU is for a short-instruction-set CPU.

Who cares what's logical, were talking about marketing here. A company releases a *new* more *expensive* console with games that do not look or play any differently than what already exists on 7 year old machines that cost less.*

It has been said literally hundreds of times on gaf, and backed up by thousands of screenshoots and youtube videos: PS3/X360 showed a very large and very noticeable jump in image quality compared to PS2/xbox1. It is a fact. It did not take until year 7 of the ps360 for that jump to be noticeable, it was day 1. The fact that the wii u does not show this obvious jump, means nintendo cannot use that as a marketing tool, which means less sales. The potential power of the console means nothing if their is nothing to show consumers.

And of course Nintendo knows this, that's why there is no Ninty E3. What would they show to consumers to get them excited? Like it or not, all they could show is games that look like what we've seen for the last 7 years. This would hurt the wii u's sales, no matter how fun or how much the games took advantage of the gamepad tablet. Their bowing out of E3 in terms of no public presser is an admission that whatever it is they have ready isn't salable to the general public. That's why they are only going to be showing it to Nintendo fans via Directs.

*Yes, I know, Nintendoland is supposed to be the asynchronous hook proving how different the console is, but it is a single game. And it is a minigame collection, how many people got burnt on wii minigame collections?

You said the games arent bad but then call them crappy. Help me understand.
I liked this part:
These games are meant to play like interactive movies. Think of Uncharted. It's like an Indiana Jones movie!

Now, compare that list to any Mario, Zelda or Metroid game. None of those games feature all of what was listed above.

I'm not saying high budget games are bad. I'm saying 3rd parties wanted to make these high budgeted Uncharteds, Assassin Creeds and Grand Theft Autos only to make a highly expensive crappy game and go belly up instead of making a simple game that's just fun to play and inexpensive to make.

It is amazing how he puts in the inexpensive category say... a game like Zelda, which it's latest entry of the series enjoyed a 4 years development cycle, a reworking and quite a bit of R&D. "Dude Skyward Sword was made with the standard Double Fine development budget!"

Also curiously the games that don't fit into the "bad developers bad!" vicious cycle are all Nintendo games. XD

The Wii U doesn't offer "novelty" in the way that the Wii-mote did. Regardless of how innovative and revolutionary and #gamechanging Nintendo's faithful fanbase think the controller is, the rest of the world that hasn't been living under a rock doesn't find the idea of a touchscreen on a console particularly groundbreaking.

It's because at face value, people already own/know about ipads.

But the WiiU controller (aside from button triggers and stick placement for some people) is the best controller for gaming.

Birathen

I've seen a few kickstarters with WiiU release as a stretch goal. Is it expensive or difficult to bring a PC game to the WiiU? If I remember correctly the Shovel knight had that stretch goal pretty early on (i could be wrong thou)

Azih

Is Nintendo making it difficult for 3rd parties to support them and/or are they (3rd parties) fed up with big N's stubbornness?
Pretty much yeah. All 3rd parties wanted the N64 to have CDs for many good reasons and Nintendo refused to accomadate.

The Gamecube I think was a great system in terms of 3rd party friendliness, it's just the PS2 was so so dominant than it wasn't really worth it for 3rd parties to target anything other than the Sony machine (PS2 dominance was like a NES level stranglehold).

The Wii? 3rd parties just weren't able to include the Wii in their PS3/360 port plans because of the very underpowered hardware and especially the completely non standard controller. Hell it took them a few years to grapple with the weird unfriendly PS3 hardware just to get port parity, reworking a traditional game's control scheme to fit the Wiimote on the other hand is an impossible challenge..

NBtoaster

So launch Wii U titles look as good if not better than end-gen 360/Ps3 titles after developers have sucked every ounce of power out?

Its as if people don't realize the only logical way to compare graphics is via launch titles. Batman on Wii U looks significantly better than anything from the 360/Ps3 launch, COD:MW3 looks much better than Perfect Dark Zero. Heck just compare the graphics on specific consoles. Compare Oblivion to Skyrim, both on 360. Thats the sort of significant graphical leap you see from launch to late in the console life cycle. So if the Wii U is already running maxed-out Ps3/360 games, at launch, doesn't it make sense that the Wii U has to be more powerful? Is logic really so far out of reach of fanboys and trolls? Never underestimate how much further hardware can be pushed in a console, and definitely don't underestimate how highly clocked the Wii U CPU is for a short-instruction-set CPU.

Wii U is not using completely new hardware that devs need to adapt to like PS3 and 360. DX10 AMD GPUs and Broadway cores must be extremely well documented by now (though Nintendo's own documentation was bad at launch).

DaBoss

Wii U is not using completely new hardware that devs need to adapt to like PS3 and 360. DX10 AMD GPUs and Broadway cores must be extremely well documented by now (though Nintendo's own documentation was bad at launch).

Do you know what you're talking about?

Do you know what you're talking about?
What about the Wii U's hardware would be particularly foreign to game developers in 2012? It's not really the same as getting to grips with things like programmable shaders and Cell broadband engines etc. etc. afaik.
Yes, if you were speaking in terms of the general consumer perspective then you're right, nintendo has failed to transmit the potential of the device.
I thought you were speaking in absolute terms, I mean, saying that the wiiU gamepad was just an iphone wannabe.
There's the rub.

It doesn't matter if Nintendo thought of this a decade ago.
It doesn't matter if the main purpose of the screen was to provide a second screen and not to provide touch input.
It doesn't matter if the intent is in no way resultant from the growth and success enjoyed by the iOS and Android boom. (Although, I seriously doubt that there's no link whatsoever.)

A person who sees it will intuitively perceive it as such. And that perception is ultimately going to stick far more than any elaborate explanations of what one is supposed to think about it.

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo doesn't use off-the-shelf parts, a toolchain no game developer has ever even heard of, and the SDK was buggy and incomplete. And most console developers are used to ppc64 chips with VMX and DX9 level GPUs. Not to mention most high profile studios don't have developers with lots of experience on Nintendo systems to begin with.

DaBoss

What about the Wii U's hardware would be particularly foreign to game developers in 2012? It's not really the same as getting to grips with things like programmable shaders and Cell broadband engines etc. etc. afaik.There's the rub.

That's true, though I was focusing on the "they don't have to adapt to it". Though re-reading that sentence now makes me realize I misinterpreted it.

Sorry NBtoaster.

Darryl

Banned

the people over in the wii u gpu thread can't seem to find a match yet so i don't know why you think this is so easy. it's a custom chip, nothing we've seen yet. we don't even know if it's dx10 or not. could be dx11 for all we know

But the WiiU controller (aside from button triggers and stick placement for some people) is the best controller for gaming.
As traditional controllers go and feature wise? Yea, it is but it suits a platform that gets an ample stable of games. SO basically the Wii U console is a poor companion for the U gamepad. It's a bit contradictory XD

Yet, Shinra is correct, as well as many other had been saying for years, Upad is not as atractive as the Wii Remote ever was.

DaBoss

As traditional controllers go and feature wise? Yea, it is but it suits a platform that gets an ample stable of games. SO basically the Wii U console is a poor companion for the U gamepad. It's a bit contradictory XD

Yet, Shinra is correct, as well as many other had been saying for years, Upad is not as atractive as the Wii Remote ever was.

Are you talking about casuals? If you are, then no controller would be as attractive as Kinect or a device that uses a touchscreen only to operate.

I've seen a few kickstarters with WiiU release as a stretch goal. Is it expensive or difficult to bring a PC game to the WiiU? If I remember correctly the Shovel knight had that stretch goal pretty early on (i could be wrong thou)

shovel knight wasn't a stetch goal it was planned from the start (though not announced for a few days)

if a game is made in unity (which many indie games are) i believe porting to wii u is little more than paying a one of fee for a dev kit (about 2 grand) and then clicking the compile to wii u button

Sendou

Shovel Knight was more expensive if you wanted a Wii U version because Nintendo charges devs for codes.

Are you talking about casuals? If you are, then no controller would be as attractive as Kinect or a device that uses a touchscreen only to operate.
The word "traditional" in my previous post speaks for itself. The comparison was between a 2 handed traditional controlers, like say a Dual Shock and the WIi U gamepad. For the people that prefer that type of control setup the Wii U one would be the ultimate evolution of such type of inputs. Leaving fantacial and capricious behaviour aside of course.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When I was a child I thought the coveted "Nintendo Seal Of Quality" was like a master selection of gaming. Now it's reduced to complete shit status.
HA HA. You fell for their marketing tactics and now feel bad. It was only there to say the thing was checked to work with their systems.

Gestault

Your logic is more circular than a god damn Mobius strip.

To be fair, the reasoning that the Wii U hasn't demonstrated dramatically more powerful hardware because we haven't seen it manifest in any of its available games isn't circular thinking. You may think it's far too early to make that call, and you'd be right, but pretending it has demonstrated substantially improved visual quality compared to less expensive seven and eight-year-old console hardware isn't borne out by any tangible reality.

szaromir

Banned
Unity games from developers in emerging nations.

That's some plan, Iwata.
Not a fan of WiiU, but this wouldn't be that bad. The games market is very homogenous right now and giving exposure to devs from countries without big development traditions would be intesting.

Daingurse

No, the Wii got gangbusters of 3rd party support...in the form of cheap tie-in casual games and exercise companions.

But then again, is it surprising? That's the exact audience Nintendo proved existed on the Wii.

And this is where Nintendo should take a page out of Sega's book. The one thing Sega seemed to intrinsically understand when they were in the hardware business (the ONLY thing, really). Sega understood perfectly that if you wanted 3rd parties to support your hardware with certain types of games, you had to prove that audience existed on your hardware with your own games.

Jeremiah%20Johnson%20nod.gif

So much fucking this! 3rd parties are done, it's up to Nintendo to pick up the slack and fill in the genre gaps. There is no fucking excuse.

hatchx

Banned
[/B]

Jeremiah%20Johnson%20nod.gif

So much fucking this! 3rd parties are done, it's up to Nintendo to pick up the slack and fill in the genre gaps. There is no fucking excuse.

Yup. 100%

This is why Nintendo should publish their own exclusive FPS. Shooters are big in North America, and if my choice is between COD and Halo on Xbox, COD and Killzone on Playstation, or just a COD port on Nintendo....I know what system the shooters aren't going for.

Caffeine

Please understand it just needs a $50 price drop and nintendo games! to sell like crack. after the unit sells over 10 million 3rd party will come back be it half assed or not.

Daingurse

Yup. 100%

This is why Nintendo should publish their own exclusive FPS. Shooters are big in North America, and if my choice is between COD and Halo on Xbox, COD and Killzone on Playstation, or just a COD port on Nintendo....I know what system the shooters aren't going for.

Yep, and I will accept no excuses from Nintendo fans on this because the Dreamcast did just that, fill in genre gaps with 1st party efforts. Just another reason Dreamcast comparisons to the Wii-U make me sick.

ibuO91tuenb6GB.png

Wii-U is not even remotely on the Dreamcast's level in soooo many ways. Nintendo needs to ironically enough take a few notes from the Dreamcast in order to appeal to core gamers.

wsippel

Banned
Yup. 100%

While I agree in general, that's still a risky approach. If their hypothetical FPS isn't absolutely amazing, it won't have any effect. But if it is, and has an effect, we'll get the "we can't compete with Nintendo on Nintendo systems" bullshit.

Wii-U is not even remotely on the Dreamcast's level in soooo many ways. Nintendo needs to ironically enough take a few notes from the Dreamcast in order to appeal to core gamers.
Problem is that Sega, with all the effort they put in, still effectively appealed to pretty much nobody - core gamers or otherwise - and had to pull the plug.

Broach

Banned
And this is where Nintendo should take a page out of Sega's book. The one thing Sega seemed to intrinsically understand when they were in the hardware business (the ONLY thing, really). Sega understood perfectly that if you wanted 3rd parties to support your hardware with certain types of games, you had to prove that audience existed on your hardware with your own games.

Nah, they did everything right with the Genesis and Dreamcast. They are blueprints for any console too follow. Good price, agressive advertising, and having the games...

Problem is that Sega, with all the effort they put in, still effectively appealed to pretty much nobody - core gamers or otherwise - and had to pull the plug.

This is only true with their 1st party japanese line-up (Jet Set, Space Channel, Shenmue). Overall with 3rd party, even without EA, and their 2K Sports games, they had a good selection of games appealing to a variety of people.

AGITΩ

Yup. 100%

Pretty much the only attempts at getting the First Person side of things was with Metroid Prime series and Geist on GV. And Geist did awful.

Though Nintendo should try and pump out some more new RPGs though, We've got X waiting in the wings, but even Nintendo focuses more of their RPG efforts on the Handheld front.

royalan

While I agree in general, that's still a risky approach. If their hypothetical FPS isn't absolutely amazing, it won't have any effect. But if it is, and has an effect, we'll get the "we can't compete with Nintendo on Nintendo systems" bullshit.

I'm not so sure.

I mean, look at Wii Sports. When Nintendo sold gangbusters of Wii Sports and Wii Fit 3rd parties didn't shy away from the casual market because of Nintendo, they pumped the Wii with "me too" software because Nintendo proved there was a market for it.

I think the problem isn't that 3rd parties feel they can't compete with Nintendo games period. I think the issue is 3rd parties feel they can't compete with Nintendo FRANCHISES. And this is a belief Nintendo does nothing to alleviate when they tie all of their major console releases into their legacy brands. Can we blame 3rd parties for believing Nintendo gamers only want Mario/Zelda/Metroid until the end of time? Nintendo seems to feel the same way.

If Iwata has any sense left, Retro's working on a new IP. And if they are, and if Nintendo pushes it, and it inevitably sells millions of copies (because as much as Nintendo fans bitch we would all cream our pants at the sight of a new AAA mascot IP from Nintendo and day 1 that shit), I think it would send a strong message to 3rd parties that Nintendo gamers would buy their beat efforts on a Nintendo platform.

If Iwata has any sense left, Retro's working on a new IP. And if they are, and if Nintendo pushes it, and it inevitably sells millions of copies (because as much as Nintendo fans bitch we would all cream our pants at the sight of a new AAA mascot IP from Nintendo and day 1 that shit), I think it would send a strong message to 3rd parties that Nintendo gamers would buy their beat efforts on a Nintendo platform.

Sad thing is, even if Retro's new game actually is a new IP aimed at the MS/Sony Western core audience as some of the rumors would have it, it'll be too little, too late, and I'd be shocked if it were actually a commercial success. If Nintendo actually wanted to pursue that market, they needed to do it from day one, not a year or more into the platform's lifespan when they'll be competing with not two, but four consoles that are much better targeted at that demographic.

I knew this answer was coming. The hardware is one of the factors, there are others of course. But you can't expect DICE to ignore a close 140 million console sales when they already have the tech and toolset stablished for those platforms. Realitiy is, DICE didn't even bother to do any significant R&D on the Wii U, even before release, due to hardware specs.

Same reason Epic is not porting UE4 to the console, so it will miss out games that only run on that engine. Or Crytek for that matter. You know the guys that before any publically known specs where pushing for the 8 GB for next gen will be nice.

It seems they did give it a shot and didn't like the performance they were getting.

Given the engine doesn't run so hot on PC dual cores and needs a hard drive install on Xbox 360 to not look like ass, and honestly doesn't run super well on the 360/PS3 in general, this probably isn't overly surprising.

The original conversation between Frostbite Technical Director repi and Teletuby Hitler is as follows:

frostbitewiiufzucz.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/repi/status/331549012022927360

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57005730&postcount=1

(^_-)

Le Singe

Neo Member
I think the problem isn't that 3rd parties feel they can't compete with Nintendo games period. I think the issue is 3rd parties feel they can't compete with Nintendo FRANCHISES.

But the WiiSports/Fit/Resort stuff was a franchise. And there are 3rd parties that have tried to compete with the World of Warcraft and Call of Duty franchises. Why should Nintendo be so special?

Only if that million selling game fit their notions of what should sell on a Nintendo platform. I bet if it was a fps it would be reasoned that that game already had all the few fps Nintendo gamers locked up and another game in the same vein would be fighting a losing battle. Like putting a platformer on a Nintendo system.

Top Bottom