• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.K Rowling Unveils the magic school names for U.S.A, Brazil, Japan, and Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinokou

To be entirely fair, the other two schools we already knew about are Beuxbatons which is just "somewhere in Europe" and Durmstrang which is just "Eastern Europe/Russia I guess?"

Thought to be situated somewhere in the Pyrenees, visitors speak of the breath-taking beauty of a chateau surrounded by formal gardens and lawns created out of the mountainous landscape by magic.

And the map places it in that general area so I guess that is just as good a description as Mountains of the Moon. It could also be more ambiguous than the location of Uagadou at the moment, do we actually have any proof of it being on the French side outside of them speaking with French accents and the name? It could just as easily be on Spanish ground being located in a border mountain range. Harry Potter wikia seems to use that Pottermore quote as their source and no other wiki/lexicon page I looked at actually give a source for why they write that it is in France.

I may be overthinking, but really we don't actually know a 100% that it is France from the Pottermore page, unless Rowling has confirmed it in an interview I'm going to assume it's actually in our geographical Spain, because why not?

We need to get a stock reply going to quickly reply to everyone who doesn't bother to read the link in the OP.

"You just lost your chance to attend any of the African wizard schools"

Kieli

So individual countries get a school but Africa as a whole gets one?

Great.

North America has one (of the 11 Great) schools as well.

I'm surprised because NA has many of the top 10 muggle universities in the world.

MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, etc...

Read the description.

Hogwart is an actual thing and Hogwarts is morphologically sound, so no.

There are multiple schools in Africa. The one named is simply the most significant one, and Rowling has specified that it's located in Uganda.

I... I don't see them mention any other schools in Africa in the OPs post. After some quick google searches, she mentions there are other schools in Africa but only one stood the test of time.

Still, me and other people had the same thought:
http://www.vox.com/2016/2/6/10924496/harry-potter-uagadou
http://twitchy.com/2016/02/04/peopl...d-her-wizard-school-in-the-country-of-africa/

I don't believe she did it on purpose but I always get tired of Africa being treated like a country and not a continent.

Muffdraul

That Japanese name is lazy as heck.

Not any more or less so than many actual Japanese names.

Kyo = big

To = city

Both Tokyo and Kyoto literally mean "big city."

OK, that's a little inaccurate. Tokyo is actually sort of a nickname. The full name is Tokyoto, "east big city." So the first To in Tokyo actually means east. Whatever, the point stands. Japanese place names tend to very dry and literal. =P

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I... I don't see them mention any other schools in Africa in the OPs post. After some quick google searches, she mentions there are other schools in Africa but only one stood the test of time.

For her "test of time" means that it lasted more than 1000 years. And she clearly uses present tense to describe the existence of other, smaller schools, and also states that Africa is a continent.

Although Africa has a number of smaller wizarding schools (for advice on locating these, see introductory paragraph), there is only one that has stood the test of time (at least a thousand years) and achieved an enviable international reputation: Uagadou. The largest of all wizarding schools, it welcomes students from all over the enormous continent. The only address ever given is 'Mountains of the Moon'; visitors speak of a stunning edifice carved out of the mountainside and shrouded in mist, so that it sometimes appears simply to float in mid-air. Much (some would say all) magic originated in Africa, and Uagadou graduates are especially well versed in Astronomy, Alchemy and Self-Transfiguration.

scamander

Banned

In addition to what was said above, I was also referring to this part:
The number of countries that have their own magical school is minuscule compared to those that do not. This is because the wizarding populations of most countries choose the option of home schooling. Occasionally, too, the magical community in a given country is tiny or far-flung and correspondence courses have been found a more cost-effective means of educating the young.

There are eleven long-established and prestigious wizarding schools worldwide, all of which are registered with the International Confederation of Wizards.

and this:
The precise location of each of the following schools is a closely guarded secret. The schools fear not only Muggle persecution, for it is a sad fact that at various times in their long histories, all of these institutions have been buffeted by the effects of wizard wars, and of hostile attention from both the foreign and domestic magical communities

Keep in mind we still don't know the country Durmstrang is located in and that J.K Rowling didn't specify whether Ilvermorny is in Canada or the US. It's the "North American" school for now.

Link1110

Every now and then GAF just reminds you how little it knows about Asian culture. Chang is like one of the most commonly used surname if not the most in China.
Under a different spelling maybe, but neither cho or chang are common last names in mainland china.

For her "test of time" means that it lasted more than 1000 years. And she clearly uses present tense to describe the existence of other, smaller schools, and also states that Africa is a continent.

In addition to what was said above, I was also referring to this part:

and this:

Keep in mind we still don't know the country Durmstrang is located in and that J.K Rowling didn't specify whether Ilvermorny is in Canada or the US. It's the "North American" school for now.

Eh. I didn't click on the fucking link to where you got that. My bad. Unless it was added after the thread was made.

Doing a bit more research, she only stated where it was after people gave her shit about it on Twitter. She didn't mention the location until later in the day on the 30th.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/693533134609072128

It's no biggie. It's fiction after all and I never read the books, only watched the movies. Hopefully we get to see these schools in future films and not just hear about them. I would love to watch a movie just about the African and Japanese schools.

PSqueak

Banned
What lmao. French, Spanish, and Italian are the easiest languages to learn. English is much harder than them, this is like a known fact.

Compare (my native tongue is spanish):

English:

Pros:
-Super flexible
-Neutral as fuck
-Very little "irregular words"

Cons:
-Unnatural pronounciation

French:

Pros:
-Similarly structured to spanish

Cons:
-Not neutral, you have to learn the gender of every noun in existance
-Remember how hard was to learn to use the tilde?(´), multiply that shit by 3!!
-5 ways to pronounce each vowel, so very little difference to the untrained ear
-Remember how the h is silent? French has a bunch of rules for when a letter is silent, and they stack! there are words you only pronounce half the entire word.
-About 15 irregular verbs
- 99 in spanish is "noventa y nueve", in english it's "ninety nine", french? "Quatre vignt dix neuf" which translates roughly to "Four times twenty plus nineteen", yes, that's how numbers roll in french.

English is way easier to learn.

Africa is not a country, Trojita.

I guess it adds to the mystery of the location, but it also seems like how most people regard Africa almost like a country instead of continent. You know how fucking big Africa is? Don't give me this 'Mountains of the Moon' bullshit.

It says Uganda in the article, but you put Africa in the thread title. Read what you wrote, then read my post, then read what you wrote again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It says Uganda in the article, but you put Africa in the thread title. Read what you wrote, then read my post, then read what you wrote again.
Uganda was an after-the-fact addition after the news broke and people tweetbombed her I believe. The original article/entries made no mention of Uganda even though the etymology made it kind of obvious.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Africa is not a country, Trojita.

lmao, Rowling announced the news as the school being only in Africa.

The Uganda reveal was days later, much later than when I opened this thread.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
lmao, Rowling announced the news as the school being only in Africa.

The Uganda reveal was days later, much later than when I opened this thread.

The article originally said that there were many smaller schools in Africa (which was referred to as a Continent), but that Uagadou was the largest and oldest of them.

School secrecy was in the series, with the Durmstrang location still being a mystery. Hogwarts seems to be the exception to the rule, as it's located right next to a Wizard village, so everyone knows where it is.

Kinokou

Still, me and other people had the same thought:
http://www.vox.com/2016/2/6/10924496/harry-potter-uagadou
http://twitchy.com/2016/02/04/peopl...d-her-wizard-school-in-the-country-of-africa/

I don't believe she did it on purpose but I always get tired of Africa being treated like a country and not a continent.

skimmed it, journalists who report from twitter without reading the source material or ignores it for an angle doesn't deserve to be called by the title.

edit: coming back to them one more time, her twitter team did screw up a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom