• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS may be localized if demand is high enough

Shinriji

It proves that some people think the game is bad and he's reiterating some stuff he heard from another thread. The difference is he said that, from what he heard, the game was terrible whereas you tried to prove it wasn't by people updating a wikipedia. Not knocking you but there's a difference.

The game is really good. I've enjoyed it a lot, and I play it every now and then.

Toad.T

Banned
By localize, do they mean dub all the characters, approximate appropriate western references to match more obscure Japanese ones and translate the opening themes (There was a separate version with them, IIRC.) Or do they mean they'll slap some subtitles on the screen, leave in every single honorific and create sound-alikes for the BGM?

This is of course assuming that they do localize it of course. That one gag policeman manga that's represented doesn't really have a US licenser.

kewlmyc

Coming back to say that I would most likely buy it regardless of what I said earlier if it came here. It's nice to know that there's also a decent amount of people here that would say it's a good game.

Would play for the Jojos, HxH, and Yu Yu Hakusho characters alone.

Compbros

By localize, do they mean dub all the characters, approximate appropriate western references to match more obscure Japanese ones and translate the opening themes (There was a separate version with them, IIRC.) Or do they mean they'll slap some subtitles on the screen, leave in every single honorific and create sound-alikes for the BGM?

This is of course assuming that they do localize it of course. That one gag policeman manga that's represented doesn't really have a US licenser.

Probably not dubbed, too much work.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The funny thing about slowdown during destruction is that it's never really happening when it'd destroy the pace of the game. It only really happens when you're RIGHT in a building that's falling around you, and that's normally while recovering from an attack. Thus, you're fully invincible. Feels more like Treasure style "Wow, what a moment!" slowdown, rather than anything game breaking.

I play Splitscreen more often on the game than not, and except for the fact that it doesn't look just like Extreme VS. series split, I see no problem with it, given the crazy amount of stuff the game has going on at once. I much prefer having a local VS option, compared to not having one at all, or having on that cut back on the destruction and gameplay options.

Shizuka

Would play for...

Arale-J-Stars-Victory-Vs-Screenshot-01-600x337.jpg

Most likely subtitles, they wouldn't have to create an extra bgm because the anime music version was a special edition.

Honestly if it does happen, I'm thinking it will probably be a new version of the game all together. Most likely the same situation as Tatsunoko vs. Capcom with characters being removed because of licensing issues but new characters added instead.

Shinriji

The funny thing about slowdown during destruction is that it's never really happening when it'd destroy the pace of the game. It only really happens when you're RIGHT in a building that's falling around you, and that's normally while recovering from an attack. Thus, you're fully invincible. Feels more like Treasure style "Wow, what a moment!" slowdown, rather than anything game breaking.

PS3 version? My vita version never, ever had slowdown and I'm very sensible to this things.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
PS3 version? My vita version never, ever had slowdown and I'm very sensible to this things.

Aye, like when your Camera is RIGHT in the middle of a bunch of fading and falling geometry. Nothing that's too common, since the game constantly has characters moving around and being smashed across the screen.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Who would even localize this? Who localized this in Japan? Sorry I'm not familiar with the release of the JP version.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Who would even localize this? Who localized this in Japan? Sorry I'm not familiar with the release of the JP version.
Spike Chunsoft developed it, while Namco published. They happen to own the US rights for Naruto, Dragonball Z, & One PIece games, so most likely they'd be the ones to bring the game over since aside from FotNS by Tecmo, nobody else has the gaming rights for any other franchise in the game (think Bleach is up in the air).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ah. You know.... If Namco actually allocates funds properly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did bring this over. lol.

I would be interested if I had not heard that the gameplay was complete bollocks.

I wouldn't say that at all.

Imported it since the day it came out and I've still been playing it since every once in a while. It's no Gundam Vs, and it takes some getting used to for sure, but I was shocked at how deep and meaty the game gets when you stop mindlessly button mashing. It's at the very least comparable to JUS in terms of quality.

It does have a lot of balance issues(Vegeeetaaaaa), though I found just about every character to be viable in some way; One of my favorites is Gintoki, who's still pretty strong even though he's easily the worst character in the game. Few games have since recaptured the magic of driving a scooter over a ramp and smacking a Naruto to death in mid-air with a wooden sword.

Trace

Banned
Imported this game at release, it's solid but as others have said it's no Gundam Extreme Vs. I wouldn't mind a localization, but there are many other games on my "pls localize" list in front of it.

Top Bottom