• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Niida (Nippon Ichi) interview

jiggle

@ gamasutra
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050802/sheffield_01.shtml

Different guy that GAF is interviewing.

Pretty interesting read.

some tidbits:

Gamasutra: What is your staff size?

Niida: We are a small company. We do have freelancers, mainly for game testers. We have a lot of game testers that freelance part time. So in terms of full time employees, we have a total of five.

Gamasutra: Will Nippon Ichi be making games for next gen?

Niida: We are seriously thinking of working to Xbox 360 and also Revolution.

Gamasutra: Have you had any trouble getting SCEA to approve 2D games?

Niida: Sony's been very helpful, actually. We've been able to bring over all the titles that we submitted, and they seem to like the titles we brought over.

Gamasutra: Why do you think they're so receptive, when other companies complain of the difficulty of bringing out 2D titles on Sony consoles?

Niida: That's actually a surprise to me. We carefully select the games we want to bring over, making sure they're titles that we have a good chance of getting approved. We don't a long shot title that is a waste of time. In the end it comes down to the way you present it to Sony, it's fairly easy to convince them. They're actually really great guys to work for. We've built a mutual relationship and we're able to work together. They love 2D anime just as much as we do.

Gamasutra: Are they more willing to approve a 2D title if it's more of a budget price, or is that a factor?

Niida: I don't think it really matters, because with games like Atelier Iris, we just show the game, talk about it, convince them, and get approval. They didn't really mention the 2D part. We actually emphasize the 2D aspect of the game, saying there's 3D everywhere and there's still that niche 2D market out there, and Sony was willing to take the chance to try it.

Amir0x

Banned
jiggle said:

Gamasutra: Will Nippon Ichi be making games for next gen?

Niida: We are seriously thinking of working to Xbox 360 and also Revolution.

:eek:

jiggle said:

Gamasutra: Have you had any trouble getting SCEA to approve 2D games?

Niida: Sony's been very helpful, actually. We've been able to bring over all the titles that we submitted, and they seem to like the titles we brought over.

Gamasutra: Why do you think they're so receptive, when other companies complain of the difficulty of bringing out 2D titles on Sony consoles?

Niida: That's actually a surprise to me. We carefully select the games we want to bring over, making sure they're titles that we have a good chance of getting approved. We don't a long shot title that is a waste of time. In the end it comes down to the way you present it to Sony, it's fairly easy to convince them. They're actually really great guys to work for. We've built a mutual relationship and we're able to work together. They love 2D anime just as much as we do.

Oh.

Mashing

Not PS3? that is very disturbing... is PS3 development costs going to hurt smaller developers like Nintendo claims?

Edit: or is he simply saying in addition to PS3 development?

Mrbob

Uh oh. Sony helpful with 2D? What will GAF do?!?!?

Also, a little surprising to not mention PS3. Only Xbox 360 and Revolution? Hmmm.

Not PS3? that is very disturbing... is PS3 development costs going to hurt smaller developers like Nintendo claims?

This is another tactic MS can use against Sony. They need to court all the small developers, and help push them and their games into something bigger and better.

Striek

I assume that means PS3 is a lock for their games...
(well duh)
To elaborate, them making PS3 games is implicit, or thats my interpretation.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
Uh oh. Sony helpful with 2D? What will GAF do?!?!?

Also, a little surprising to not mention PS3. Only Xbox 360 and Revolution? Hmmm.

This is another tactic MS can use against Sony. They need to court all the small developers, and help push them and their games into something bigger and better.

That is a tactic I think they are employing

golem

i would think its in addition to ps3, they are looking at 360 and rev.. since they seem to have a solid relationship with sony

jarrod

Banned
Why would N1 badmouth SCEA Product Approval after the preferential treatment they've been given? We've seen what happens to publishers who go "on record" about SCEA... just ask Vic. :p

Tarazet

jarrod said:
Why would N1 badmouth SCEA Product Approval after the preferential treatment they've been given? We've seen what happens to publishers who go "on record" about SCEA... just ask Vic. :p

That may be why they're considering changing camps... :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I doubt PS3 developments costs will differ much from X360 costs, though...

hooo

boooy
dark10x said:
I doubt PS3 developments costs will differ much from X360 costs, though...

The difference being that the 360 will be out sometime soon where as there are rumors that the ps3 will be pushed back to 2007. I really do have to wonder how Sony and MS would react to a game that doesn't even scratch the surface of the hardware. Would MS balk at the release of a 360 game if it could easily be done on the xbox? For example Disgaea 2?

Dalamar86

jiggle said:
Gamasutra: Are they more willing to approve a 2D title if it's more of a budget price, or is that a factor?

Niida: I don't think it really matters, because with games like Atelier Iris, we just show the game, talk about it, convince them, and get approval. They didn't really mention the 2D part.

Uh, NISA made a petition on their boards to submit to SCEA on bringing Atelier over. Jack acted like it made all the difference there.

Interesting stuff nonetheless.

hooo said:
The difference being that the 360 will be out sometime soon where as there are rumors that the ps3 will be pushed back to 2007. I really do have to wonder how Sony and MS would react to a game that doesn't even scratch the surface of the hardware. Would MS balk at the release of a 360 game if it could easily be done on the xbox? For example Disgaea 2?
It's not a "rumor" that PS3 is coming out in 07. Wedbush said its an option to Sony if the X360 doesn't explode upon the market.

Flo_Evans

I don't see why they would want to release games on the 360 rev or PS3... with all 3 being BC and the liscene fees have to be lower for the older machines.

I guess you could say that it is better to be on the next gen shelf with less competition than in the sea of PS2 games.

I would like some PSP ports personaly.

Top Bottom