• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Raymond introduces Haven, a new Montreal-based game development studio working on an original, new IP for PlayStation

We know Sony was negotiating timed exclusivity of Starfield during months before MS purchased them, but we don't know if they signed it or not. We know that when MS talks about games with a PS deal they always avoid mentioning it's only for Deathloop and Ghostwire, and also avoid mentioning to say that all Zenimax games released after these two will be full console exclusives.
Nah, he failed to secure it

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Theres a big difference in making a game exclusive that was multiplatform to behind with ala rise of the tomb raider. And this is a independent studios that was newly founded from the ashes of a closed studio. Sony saw what they had, and I guess was impressed enough to back the project. Guess we will see if it's lame or not.

Your right Jim Ryan is evil palpatine looking mofo, he doesn't want to sign deals with renowned talent that have a history of making money. :goog_rolleyes:

Can't wait till later this year, a lot of you will understand and either be ok with it or still be salty as fuck.

Exactly.

I swear some ppl have no reading comprehension. Like at all. This isnt the only topic I notice this...

I literally just posted a few days ago the best outcome for everyone is 3rd parties making exclusive games. Magically 2 threads pop up about that exact thing with Sony and MS. Before Insomniac got bought they did exactly that for Both MS and Sony.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly.

I swear some ppl have no reading comprehension. Like at all. This isnt the only topic I notice this...

I literally just posted a few days ago the best outcome for everyone is 3rd parties making exclusive games. Magically 2 threads pop up about that exact thing with Sony and MS. Before Insomniac got bought they did exactly that for Both MS and Sony.
Oh they can read, it’s all about the tribal lines in the sand.

martino

I prefer millions of times the way Sony handle this business than MS. I don't know how can be considered remotely comparable a company who helps to fund an independent one, to another who bought everything without calculate the consequences in case such software house wouldnt deliver the expected cash flows.
you're orienting and telling a tale here.
You're painting the Sony action like calculated, charity that will only bring good things for everyone and ms ones like are bad ,irresponsible that can only fail and benefit to nobody.
Take a step back, cut the tale crap and keep it at being about money , ownership and independence or not....and , for example, here not owing the first IP of the studio is loosing lot of independence (you need to rebuilt a new one from scratch to own a real independant one)

Last edited:

Aenima

Jade Raymond seriously???
1466366188-risitas6.png

I mean even Ryo Saeba with his incontrollable hormones wouldn't have sign a deal with her to make a game
1466366261-risitas51.png

Yosp had made deal with Miyazaki for Bloodborne
1466366648-risitas115.png

look at what kind of deals Clown hermen are dealing, like porting PS games on PC wasn't enough of clownshow for him
1466366621-risitas112.png
Funny you mention Yoshida would have made a diferent deal, but Jade studio is indie, and who in charge of the indie division for Playstation? Oh yeah, its Yoshida. This deal probably came from him to begin with.

Ppl here have a blind obssession in blaming Jimbo for everething, even when they getting a brand new exclusive game, somehow thats a bad thing.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Funny you mention Yoshida would have made a diferent deal, but Jade studio is indie, and who in charge of the indie division for Playstation? Oh yeah, its Yoshida. This deal probably came from him to begin with.

Ppl here have a blind obssession in blaming Jimbo for everething, even when they getting a brand new exclusive game, somehow thats a bad thing.
Insecurity. They probably would be licking their lips if it was lying flip flop phil deal

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
You're basically making an argument on frivolous particularities as some implied ethical take. Back when Sony entered the industry no one else purchased exclusivity contracts for future game installments that already had prior entries on multiple competitor consoles, either, but it happened anyway. Why? Because Sony were competing in a free market where being able to leverage your resources (even if your opponents lack those resources) is favored as that is the benefit of capitalism.

I imagine there were plenty of Sega and Nintendo fans throwing similar temper tantrums at Sony back in the day on obscure message boards and chats for doing things otherwise 100% legal only they could really do due to their corporate structure and financial capacity, as we're seeing today from yourself and many others having temper tantrums over Microsoft playing to their own corporate structure and financial strengths in ways that are 100% legal.

Want to get mad at something over this? Get mad at capitalism and the legal system. But then you'd have to get equally mad at every corporate ever for the past 100 years, and that just exposes how dumb these temper tantrums are doesn't it?

You're saying alot of extra nothing for a simple concept.

Sony has yet to buy a 3rd party developer or publisher. The developers they bought have worked with them already for years. After a few successful games Sony decides to buy them and bring them into their first party to expand them further and make new IP's. Out of these studio purchases and expansion you get other areas of growth like support studios. Xdev, ICE team, and Visual Arts Service Group. The latter Which has now opened another studio in Malaysia.

Now we are seeing this same type of strategy with this new studio, Haven. If it proves a success Sony then might buy them.

This is what Sony calls organic growth.

MS has been buying 3rd party multiplatform developers that have established games on every platform. All they've been doing is removing access to other consoles.

They. Are. Not. The. Same. Thing.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nah, he failed to secure it

He's the CEO, not the guy in charge of 3rd party relationships. His work isn't to secure these deals.

Regarding that interview, he must know if it will be released on PS5 or not and if it's the case, he also must know if they or Xbox have a timed console exclusivity. Just didn't say it there because they have NDAs that indicate when something can be announced or not. Very likely they will announce it this summer in E3/whatever other summer event Sony or MS do.

hmm she's aged well, still would!
This photo has a few years, but yes. Btw is even prettier in person, isn't too photogenic.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
There is no difference. Sony would be doing the same shit if they were in a position to do so. Jim Ryan would salivate at the thought of getting Starfield and Elder Scrolls as exclusives. Hell, he tried to buy out Starfield and failed. It must have really impressed him.

You are speaking in hypotheticals i'm talking about what's actually happening now.

Sony and MS have very different approaches when it comes to first party studios.

yurinka

Man, that was a decade ago...
She -or her studio- also did work on The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, Watchdogs 1 & 2, Far Cry 4 and Primal, For Honor, several AC games or DLCs, Star Wars Squadrons or Battlefront 2 in addition to many other published ones (and a few of them cancelled).

Last edited:

meanspartan

Hmm. I don't have anything against her, but I feel like she is someone who gets way too much credit for something she was involved in a very long time ago that a lot of others had a big role in, and she has done little of note ever since then. (See also: George Lucas.) I could very well be wrong, but it certainly feels like a lot of her fame comes down to being a woman in an industry desperate to find female role models. And being attractive doesn't hurt either.

That said, here is yet another chance for her to prove me wrong and blow us away with whatever this studio releases, assuming they ever release anything this time. I hope she does.

Tg89

The more I hear about this lady the more she sounds like a runaway bride, holy hell how many jobs has she held in the past 5 years??

jZnUXcs.gif
lol i mean, she seems to be jumping into better and better positions so good on her. no loyalty in business.

anyway, her track record with games is awful so not much excitement here, but hopefully she proves me wrong.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The more I hear about this lady the more she sounds like a runaway bride, holy hell how many jobs has she held in the past 5 years??

jZnUXcs.gif

David Jaffe said on his stream tonight that his contacts within the industry rave about her. Case in point, she loses her job and a month later she's heading her own studio that's funded by Sony.

I like the idea of Sony arbitrarily funding and supporting independent ventures from industry veterans with a proven track record. Yeah, Jade Raymond doesn't have the same status of Death Stranding. But she definitely has the credentials to build a triple-A studio and there's a lot of potential there. Let the woman create a new game without any corporate interference. Only a blank check from Sony and you're good to go.

This shows why Sony closing Japan studio is bullshit and mainly politicial. Jade Raymond? Seriously? Who gives a fuck. She's never created anything, she's just a manager. Sony funds her new studio who has nothing, but just becaues it's headed by women its given funding. You gotta be blind not to see the double standards.

Perrott

Gold Member

Yoshida handles third-party relations with indie developers.

Jade Raymond and her new studio are neither of those things: their upcoming new IP it's a PlayStation Studios title, hence a first-party title, which falls under Hermen Hulst's management; and their new studio, Haven, isn't by any means an indie developer - yes, they are independent, but that doesn't make them indies.

Im always happy about a new IP, but would also like some JRPG’s, 1st person shooters etc.

And Id rather Sony buy a studio they have worked with many times at this point in time rather than start/support a new one.

Id like them to support some more Japanese studios, they have enough western Magicians like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica and Guerilla. Expand on those and get some Japanese ones

Again Im happy with this, but more Japanese studios and more buying studios instead of helping new western ones If that makes sense
I’ve been saying this for the longest. It’s good they are supporting new studios regardless of region, but I would like to see Sony support and build more Japanese studios as well. Sadly, I don’t think they will at least not anytime soon because of their new direction and focus. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong, but I REALLY have my doubts.

Perrott

Gold Member
She sounds like she's into moving the medium forward. Her next games going to be multiplayer you nerds!

You cannot imagine how excited I was for EA Motive's game after hearing some of the things Jade discussed in that video - it reminded me of the times when Kojima talked about "the rope and the stick" and how he wanted to create a sense of global collaboration amongst players through Death Stranding's multiplayer.

In other words, it sounded like she wanted to push boundaries and innovate, not only in how we think of live service games but also in the gameplay department as she asked designers to think beyond verbs such as "kill" and "shoot" - again, like Death Stranding.

Hopefully she hasn't given up on those ideas. Sony's lineup could really benefit from a critically acclaimed and commercially successful live service game.

Top Bottom