• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaden Smith & Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig have an anime premiering on Netflix 9/22.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
This looks like some Newgrounds spoof of the cringe variety.

What the fuck are they smoking?

Alexlf

This whole thing is surreal, it has the exact same feeling as a fever dream.

If I'd seen this thread/watched the trailer late last night I'd definitely be wondering if I dreamt it all up.

Wowza. There's fanart already!
tumblr_static_spiky_haired_guy_bg.png

Ezra. Is this why it's been since 2012? Batman had to go play music with other bands for this? Well maybe your gone and we can't resurrect you.

I'm not too hot on the art direction and quality of the animation but this press release makes me hope that the writing will be compelling:

Neo Yokio is a near-future serial set in the greatest city in the world. It’s the most populous urban agglomeration in North America, but its prestige does not merely stem from its size. Neo Yokio is a diverse labyrinth of cultural and architectural innovation at the forefront of global fashion and finance.
This is all cold comfort to the lovesick Kaz Kaan (Jaden Smith), the youngest member of a family of ‘magistocrats’ – pink-haired demon slayers who once liberated the city. Today, his demon-slaying is barely more than a side-hustle coordinated by his Aunt Agatha (Susan Sarandon) – Kaz himself would rather concern himself with shopping, field hockey and – of course – mending his broken heart.

Neo Yokio’s supporting cast includes Kaz’s faithful mecha-butler, Charles (Jude Law), and his inseparable friends Lexy and Gottlieb (The Kid Mero and Desus Nice). Together they navigate the complexities of life in Neo Yokio and try to stay one step ahead of Kaz’s arch-rival, Neo Yokio’s number one most eligible bachelor, Arcangelo Corelli (Jason Schwartzman.)

Things take a mysterious turn when Kaz is drawn into the turbulent world of ex-fashion blogger Helena St. Tessero (Tavi Gevinson), setting in motion a sequence of events that force him to question everything he knows about Neo Yokio.

Despera

Banned
I'm not too hot on the art direction and quality of the animation but this press release makes me hope that the writing will be compelling:
Are we reading the same thing? That plot is generic anime 101 material.

I just hope the anime goes into the "it's so bad it's good" territory lol

This is a parody, right? It has to be.

No way this would get a green light otherwise.

Maybe the trailer is fake? Has anyone checked it was actually from Netflix? Maybe they had their account hacked. That's the only explanation for all the random shit I just saw.

Cystm

Looks fucking garbage, but I will support it anyway, A person of color as the lead in an anime? Gotta support that. Man, does this like shit tho.

daveo42

Banned
Looks like a more anime version of The Boondocks to me. I wonder if that's what they were trying to go for or it just ended up that way.

daveo42

Banned
Okay...after watching the trailer, this has to all be an elaborate joke.

The voice acting is bad. Hell, it's not even properly mixed and half of it sounds like it was done in an aircraft hanger instead of a sound booth. Did they just do all the recording in someone's spare bedroom or off of cell phones?
As for the characters/animation/visuals, Mike Tyson Mysteries has better art direction and animation departments and that's just a slightly better evolution of Hanna-Barbera "animation" used by Williams Street. Why would anyone green light this other than as a joke.
Then, we got our story. What. In. The. Absolute. Fuck.
Let's not even start on whatever that garbage title is.

If this isn't an elaborate joke, then I'll make animu jayden my avatar.

wandering

Banned
Looks fucking garbage, but I will support it anyway, A person of color as the lead in an anime? Gotta support that. Man, does this like shit tho.

I feel like using an American framework of race to address a Japanese medium doesn't quite work. Just say black person.

number11

Whether it's intentional or not, I found the trailer hilarious. I'll definitely be watching this. After listening to his radio show, I love Ezra's random humour.

Looks awful.

Times like this I wish Netflix stayed out of watashi no nihonjin anime.

Why they can't use an occidental animation house?

looks pretty entertaining. Jaden Smith literally sounds like he phoned in his shit tho haha.

but I dunno, looks batshit enough that it just might work out. plus Jason Schwartzman is one of the greatest animated voice actors so I'm in on that alone.

gatling

Is all of this tongue in cheek? Watching the trailer I feel so confused. The names attached confuse me. And it looks...well. Yeah.

I burst out laughing like 5 times watching the trailer.

I dont even care if its intentional or not, it looks like it's going to be funny as fuck.

Top Bottom