• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jakey - "FromSoftware's Game Design Changed Everything"

Meicyn

Gold Member
I would argue that they didn’t. Blockbuster cinematic QTE/cutscene driven gameplay is still what most studios are making. UIs are still as bloated as ever.

That all said, still waiting for the Elden Ring expansion. I so badly want to do a second playthrough but I don’t know if I’ll have it in me to do a third. Game’s too big.

its-all-the-same-doesnt-matter.gif

Just kidding, I haven't played Elden Ring or Sephiro.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Welcome to 2011. Yes, demons souls didn't change shit.
It was Dark Souls. After finishing it in 2011... I just sat there... for months and I couldn't get into any other game.
And it reminds me how much bluepoint butchered demons souls art and music.

Last edited:

kevm3

I wonder how many of those who, up until now, kept repeating that Elden Ring is generic, empty, boring, repetitive, and whatever other complaint I've seen about this game, will suddenly change their tune with the release of this video, lol.

Why would their opinion change when their opinion is derived from playing the game?

Some people just like those open world games and others just like more focused, directed experiences and it comes down to preferences

Kusarigama

It was Dark Souls. After finishing it in 2011... I just sat there... for months and I couldn't get into any other game
There would be no dark souls if not for Demon's Souls. So it did change everything!

It was Dark Souls. After finishing it in 2011... I just sat there... for months and I couldn't get into any other game.
And it reminds me how much bluepoint butchered demons souls art and music.
yes in that "internal" sense.
But from gamer standpoint Demons souls was looked at as a clunky jank game in 2009. nobody took it too seriously until Dark SOuls
That's not entirely true as Demon Souls was on many GOTY lists and was widely praised throughout the gaming press. I would be confident in saying that most people think Dark Souls is an objectively superior game with Dark Souls II being akin to an expansion pack and DSIII being another solid entry. I always thought it had a kickass cover with the protagonist walking towards the souls, but many people disliked it for being disorientating.
iu

Kusarigama

yes in that "internal" sense.
But from gamer standpoint Demons souls was looked at as a clunky jank game in 2009. nobody took it too seriously until Dark SOuls
Don't be delusional. The reason Dark Souls got Bandai Bamco as publisher was because of the the success of Demon's Souls. Critically and commercially. It got FromSoftware out from the brink of closure. What I said is no contortion but mere facts laid straight.

It's okay if you did not like Demon's Souls. But let's give credit where it due. And if jank is your problem then let me remind you of the blight town performance issues of Dark Souls.

MiguelItUp

I don't think we need him to tell us about how good Souls game are.

However for those that hated it, I doubt any video would convince them, no game is for everyone
Exactly. It's okay to not be into it at all, it happens.

That being said, when I was first played Demon's Souls when it launched, I couldn't get into it at all. I hated it, didn't understand the praise, etc. Years later I gave it another shot and it clicked, and hard. I immediately went through all the games at that point.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. But I think it's important to acknowledge them. Hell, when it didn't click with me, I still appreciated so much about them. I just didn't "get" them. But in time, I did, and hard.

Don't be delusional. The reason Dark Souls got Bandai Bamco as publisher was because of the the success of Demon's Souls. Critically and commercially. It got FromSoftware out from the brink of closure. What I said is no contortion but mere facts laid straight.

It's okay if you did not like Demon's Souls. But let's give credit where it due. And if jank is your problem then let me remind you of the blight town performance issues of Dark Souls.

He's not exactly wrong either because it wasn't until Dark Souls that the popularity exploded

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I've not played Demons Souls until ps5. Like most Dark Souls Players.
Not only barely anyone played DES, it was just skipped over. Only few websites even noticed it.
And then, it's just much worse and jankier than Dark Souls.

I am not denying it's impact. I am denying it's quality compared to Dark Souls. not on it's own. Its a good game on its own
That's not entirely true as Demon Souls was on many GOTY lists and was widely praised throughout the gaming press. I would be confident in saying that most people think Dark Souls is an objectively superior game with Dark Souls II being akin to an expansion pack and DSIII being another solid entry. I always thought it had a kickass cover with the protagonist walking towards the souls, but many people disliked it for being disorientating.
iu
Still. Even though it won some goty, I've not heard of it back then and it had difficult start.

SeraphJan

Exactly. It's okay to not be into it at all, it happens.

That being said, when I was first played Demon's Souls when it launched, I couldn't get into it at all. I hated it, didn't understand the praise, etc. Years later I gave it another shot and it clicked, and hard. I immediately went through all the games at that point.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. But I think it's important to acknowledge them. Hell, when it didn't click with me, I still appreciated so much about them. I just didn't "get" them. But in time, I did, and hard.
Yeah, every design philosophy serves different type of audience, there is no right or wrong, neither is one taste better than other.

Still. Even though it won some goty, I've not heard of it back then and it had difficult start.
Nah dude, it got 9s across all the board on major gaming websites and people were talking about it due to viral Youtubers like PewDiePie, RadBrad and so on. It sold thousands of copies and whilst it may not have been as big as future games, it did pretty well and got the name out there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah dude, it got 9s across all the board on major gaming websites and people were talking about it due to viral Youtubers like PewDiePie, RadBrad and so on. It sold thousands of copies and whilst it may not have been as big as future games, it did pretty well and got the name out there.
It doesnt matter if it got some 9s.
It still didn't explode. It's like saying Dathloop exploded the deathloop franchise because the first game got a lot of 10s. (assuming deathloop would have sequels that exploded :p)

FunkMiller

Yep. He gets it. On open world design, especially.

In terms of the thrill and fun of exploration, nothing touches Elden Ring… other than maybe Breath Of The Wild, and definitely Tears Of The Kingdom.

All other open world games are leagues behind them.

…but the copy/paste stuff is fair enough. That’s the only real drawback. But only gets to be a problem when you’re going for completion.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter if it got some 9s.
It still didn't explode. It's like saying Dathloop exploded the deathloop franchise because the first game got a lot of 10s. (assuming deathloop would have sequels that exploded :p)
I literally said that it did well, but not as good as the futuere games in terms of popularity or sales. And that was pretty much fact to people who remember it.

Mr.Phoenix

All this game really did is just put its lack of hand-holding front and center. There are so many games out there that could become 100 times better if they just cut back on the hand-hiding and treating the gamer as if we don't have brains. I am not going to commend it for its use of environmental storytelling cause a good number of games had done that already. What it really does though, is just not hold your hand.

When no one is holding your hand, something as simple as walking towards a bridge becomes an adventure. When there is one big icon with a decreasing distance counter pointing you toward said bridge, however, it just becomes a chore.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Is this how Breath of the Wild was supposed to change everything too?

It's great at what it does, but not everyone wants to do that thing.
Or is able to do it properly.

Designing those games require a very high level of skill, play test and confidence that barely anyone has in the industry.

Just like how it's needed to design and implement a combat system on par with Bayonetta, for example.

LakeOf9

I wonder how many of those who, up until now, kept repeating that Elden Ring is generic, empty, boring, repetitive, and whatever other complaint I've seen about this game, will suddenly change their tune with the release of this video, lol.

I mean I adore FromSoft games but why will people change their opinions based on a YouTube video…?

FromSoft fans are so weird

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly didn't think Elden Ring's world design was especially progressive. It was extremely well managed in terms of density and readability (for Navigation purposes) but it was just the standard Souls' formula expanded out across more real-estate than previously.

Truthfully I think that if it didn't have such "presence" due to the presentation and feel of the gameplay people would be generally a lot more critical of the ways in which Miyazaki's formula has only advanced so incrementally over the years.

Mossybrew

I've no idea who this random youtuber is, and in my experience most people around here liked ER, so not sure what the point of all this is.

Stafford

I wanted to watch this but after he warns for heavy spoilers for ER, I'm out. I've yet to buy that game. I'm waiting for my Souls fatigue to wear off.

Or is able to do it properly.

Designing those games require a very high level of skill, play test and confidence that barely anyone has in the industry.

Just like how it's needed to design and implement a combat system on par with Bayonetta, for example.
It's not even a matter of skill or whatever as we have several devs who are amazing that just focus on games that don't fit well with the more fragmented story, wander around gameplay this has.

MagnesD3

Agree with alot of his points and disagree with others. Im glad that he loves Elden Ring as much as its deserved. For his open world leveling problem I would just have enemies go up 2 Level's for every 5 you Level up (or an incremental equivalent to this).

One of my friends occasionally sends me this guys videos. I usually last a couple minutes and shut it off due to his annoying delivery.

Having said that, yes, Souls games have become some of the most influential games over the last decade...no shit. It would be like me saying Residnet Evil 4 changed everything in 2012.

Top Bottom