• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jakey - "FromSoftware's Game Design Changed Everything"

Lethal01

What exactly did elden ring rip off of botw? There were countless open world games before botw.

Okay, but the creator of Elden Ring did list Breath of the wild specifically as a game he took inspiration for creating Elden Ring as well as it being his favourite open world game. I think it's silly to act like they didn't learn from it, it was literally used for research in order to create elden ring.....

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I wonder how many of those who, up until now, kept repeating that Elden Ring is generic, empty, boring, repetitive, and whatever other complaint I've seen about this game, will suddenly change their tune with the release of this video, lol.
You can stop wondering. The answer is zero.

Griffon

Everything he said in the video was trite obviousness. Like "no shit" every second of it. Guy is talking like he is a genius for figuring out that Souls are good games.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Watched it. Maybe I try ER again for a third time. Really want to like these games.

But all the souls games bore me for some reason. It high fantasy setting just doesn't click. It's world is filled with enemies and all friendly NPC's are static billboards with no real life to them. Luring enemies to them doesn't do anything, worse, it break immersion.

For context: I've tried every souls game at least once or twice and got pretty far a lot of the time. They're not that hard if you got the simple pattern recognition down. But in the end I just sorta stopped booting up the game because I'm not connecting for some reason. I'm guessing it's the high fantasy melodramatic setting, or just not a big fan that 'combat' is your only real verb, forcing you into fight (instead of finding clever ways to circumvent situations with interesting systems, making the world feel). It's enemy respawning systems just making everything really 'gamey' and static, feeling like i'm wasting my time.

I'm not sure. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Like I said, I really want to like these games.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of those who, up until now, kept repeating that Elden Ring is generic, empty, boring, repetitive, and whatever other complaint I've seen about this game, will suddenly change their tune with the release of this video, lol.
Nobody, because most of us don't even know who this dude is.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Elden Ring came in 2022. Games takes 3-4 years (or more) to developp. Any design shift from ER influence will not manifest until 2025+ IMO.

GymWolf

Dark Souls lock on melees was even taken from N64 Zelda
Except they use the far superior version that 99,99% of games use (and for a reason) where you don't have to keep pressing the button all the time and changing target is not completely random because you just need to flick a stick in the direction of the enemy and not just hope that the game is gonna chose the right target.

Zelda lock on is archaic by modern standards.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I would argue that they didn’t. Blockbuster cinematic QTE/cutscene driven gameplay is still what most studios are making. UIs are still as bloated as ever.
There are literaly two studios (Quantic Dream and Supermassive Games) that do cinematic qte driven games and they are not blockbusters.

GymWolf

There are literaly two studios (Quantic Dream and Supermassive Games) that do cinematic qte driven games and they are not blockbusters.
Many (stupid) people include any game with high quality cutscenes into the movie genre, even games that have a lot of gameplay and combat.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Elden ring and souls games in general use a lot of old school concepts. That’s all. At some point during the ps2 era the industry found out that you can sell more games if you design them to be easily won.

So instead of making games that try to stop you from winning they made games that want you and guide you to win.

Tomeru

Okay, but the creator of Elden Ring did list Breath of the wild specifically as a game he took inspiration for creating Elden Ring as well as it being his favourite open world game. I think it's silly to act like they didn't learn from it, it was literally used for research in order to create elden ring.....
I knew there was a reason ER felt off...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hate these "watch this video" threads.

Wrap that shit up in some of your own words at least.
Sometimes somebody says something that you’ve been believing ever since the beginning or ever since Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls launched. It can come off as being annoying. A lot of us know this because we preordered or imported every single game since the beginning. However, we didn’t make the video ourselves. The creator spent time to make the video. So 🤷

It only ever bugged me when I got sick of feeling like a noob. Sometimes this industry and a lot of Video Game YouTubers focus on new comers or people with little to no knowledge about a topic or game. While there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s nice to hear from someone who doesn’t have explain the thing from the very beginning. We get that much. Personally, From Software makes some of my favorite games.

Tg89

I don't want to play a game where I die stupidly in the first 8 minutes and then have to watch hours of videos to learn how to get good
These are the weirdest takes to me. The games are incredibly straightforward in the ways that you are going to die. What would you need to watch a video for? It’s not like there’s some hidden trick to the combat. It’s literally hit shit and avoid getting hit in it’s simplest sense.

Top Bottom