• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron mourns loss of robot submarine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude really loves deep sea.

James Cameron mourns loss of robot submarine

Hollywood movie director James Cameron is mourning the loss of ''a friend'' after a deep sea sub imploded 10km under the sea.

The Nereus, a robotic research vehicle was exploring the Kermedec Trench, which lies hundreds of kilometres north-east of New Zealand, when it was crushed by the immense pressures late last week.

The Titanic and Abyss director and ocean explorer descended to the deepest part of the ocean in 2012.

He then donated his robot sub Deepsea Challenger to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, which is overseeing the Kermadec dive.

Cameron said the destruction of Nereus is a ''tragic loss for science'' and a ''dark day for many reasons.'

' Cameron is a friend of exploratory team head Andy Bowen and chief scientist Tim Shank.

''I feel like I've lost a friend,'' he said. ''Nereus was an amazing, groundbreaking robot and the only currently active vehicle in the world that could reach the extreme depths of the ocean trenches.''

Cameron knows how attached scientists become to their robots, after losing a ''bot'' while exploring the Titanic wreck.

''I know what the Nereus team must be feeling...my heart goes out to them. They've not only lost a child, they've lost a great opportunity to explore one of the ocean's deep trenches - the last great frontier for exploration on our planet.''

Cameron backs the Pew Charitable Trusts which is campaigning for the Kermadec region to be declared a vast marine reserve because of its value to science.
Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/james-cameron-mourns-loss-robot-submarine-5970737

James-Cameron-South-Park.jpg

All jokes aside, because anything james cameron related is always funny, that sub was pretty awesome. It was even better when it was then referenced by South Park.
The national geographic article about his trip down in 2012 was one of the better ones I've ever read. I remember it was fairly gripping and I was jealous he became one of the lucky few to reach the extreme depths. The journey down sounded very cool and his detail explaining what he was seeing and feeling at the time was great. Then the lights went out with the pressure knocking them out one by one, but he managed to take a sample of discovered like 5 new species previously unknown. It makes sense Cameron is attached to the sub after it took him to a place only a handful of humans have been and allowed him to come back. Kinda in the same way I loved my breathing regulator about a billion times more when I came back to the surface after diving down close to 100ft to see a shipwreck. Pretty cool if you ask me.
While I won't say it's worth crying over, it is a temporary loss for science.

mcz117chief

How old was it ? Almost 3 years ? Can't they build a new one for the fraction of the original's price ? or better yet, can't they build a better one with current tech ?

Savitar

In a few years we'll get a script for this. They'll begin getting a mysterious signal from the depths and able to explore, what they find is the ruins of the sub. But how or why did it send the signal?!

Because it's alive.

All jokes aside, because anything james cameron related is always funny, that sub was pretty awesome. It was even better when it was then referenced by South Park.
The national geographic article about his trip down in 2012 was one of the better ones I've ever read. I remember it was fairly gripping and I was jealous he became one of the lucky few to reach the extreme depths. The journey down sounded very cool and his detail explaining what he was seeing and feeling at the time was great. Then the lights went out with the pressure knocking them out one by one, but he managed to take a sample of discovered like 5 new species previously unknown. It makes sense Cameron is attached to the sub after it took him to a place only a handful of humans have been and allowed him to come back. Kinda in the same way I loved my breathing regulator about a billion times more when I came back to the surface after diving down close to 100ft to see a shipwreck. Pretty cool if you ask me.
While I won't say it's worth crying over, it is a temporary loss for science.

Erm, you realize this isn't about Cameron's sub (The Challenger Deep), but about an ROV?

Valhelm

contribute something
It makes sense that James Cameron cares more about technological imitations than actual, breathing people.

It makes sense that James Cameron cares more about technological imitations than actual, breathing people.

Because mourning the loss of a specialized explorer and the potential to further explore uncharted habitats is the same as valuing equipment over human life.

Oh, huh. I guess the "100% CGI" promotional claims were pretty unfounded, then?

I think you need to do your research into the film better. And anybody saying '100% CGI' is obviously talking about what's on screen at any one time, in which they would be correct in most instances. What was actually promoted is the performance-capture that Cameron and his crew invented for the film and has since been used on a number of other productions.

NinjaBoiX

I think you need to do your research into the film better. And anybody saying '100% CGI' is obviously talking about what's on screen at any one time, in which they would be correct in most instances. What was actually promoted is the performance-capture that Cameron and his crew invented for the film and has since been used on a number of other productions.
It's the same tech from LA Noire right? I thought it was multiple cameras for some reason.

Kinyou

It's the same tech from LA Noire right? I thought it was multiple cameras for some reason.
LA Noir directly captured the face of the actor, meaning that whatever haircut and makeup the actor currently had would also appear in the in-game model, so no, different tech.

I think Call of Duty Black Ops used the Avatar tech though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom