• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they just changed it to avoid confusion... lincesing doesn't give you ownership of a pre-existing word... there were plenty of Avatars well before JC even wrote the damn thing.

Lol, JC.

You missed the legal fun when Shyamalan and Nickelodeon were trying to battle FOX and Cameron over the name in early 2009.

Would have benefited Nickelodeon's movie if people got confused.

I don't understand why he gets to go down and not some high caliber scientist. Does he do work in the field that I don't know about?

Cameron has been deep ocean diving for more than two decades. It is one of his great passions. I think that after more than 75 submersible dives, it is fair to say he is an authority in the field. Once he made his fuck-off money from Titanic, he finally had enough to go away and do it full-time. Then he came back and changed the movie industry again - which he likes to do for a lark every once in a while.

You missed the legal fun when Shyamalan and Nickelodeon were trying to battle FOX and Cameron over the name in early 2009.

What do you mean... there was a legal battle over a word? Fox and Cameron can't own the word "avatar", it's been around for ages...

I had no idea such a thing was even possible... only in America... you guys have the worst legal system ever, lol. :D

The series was out and a phenomenon in its own right years before Cameron shot a second of footage. Cameron is one of my favorite filmmakers but he is, was, and always will be a twat for that dick move.

Cameron had written and licensed the film half a decade before your show. He is a twat for not changing the name of his film that he had come to and used first? Grow up.

Cameron had written and the film half a decade beforehand. He is a twat for not changing the name of his film that he had come to and used first? Grow up.

You're acting like technically adhering to the letter of the law must mean that he's a nice swell guy. Get fucked.

What do you mean... there was a legal battle over a word? Fox and Cameron can't own the word "avatar", it's been around for ages...

I had no idea such a thing was even possible... only in America... you guys have the worst legal system ever, lol. :D

I kind of liked you because you have a Ginko avatar, but c'mon. Now you are reaching youtube levels of discourse. At least keep it classy, no one is going to fall for something like that.

Why should he change when somebody couldn't be bothered to do a simple search?

No one should have exclusive rights to a commonly used noun. People will call out Bethesda for being cunts about Scrolls but Cameron gets a pass for the exact same shit, except he won already and a great franchise had to suffer for it.

No one should have exclusive rights to a commonly used noun. People will call out Bethesda for being cunts about Scrolls but Cameron gets a pass for the exact same shit, except he won already and a great franchise had to suffer for it.

As far as I can remember, FOX and Cameron never pursued Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon pursued FOX and Cameron in an attempt to stop Cameron from using the name and the fallout of them losing the case was their retitling. Cameron never sought to stop Nickelodeon etc. Nickelodeon literally brought that shit on themselves in trying to do what you are currently lambasting Cameron for.

Eagerly anticipating sea serpents.

sea_serpent.jpg

shits gotta exist.

James Cameron is going to one of the deepest, unexplored, and most interesting places on our entire planet and all you people can do is whine about a Battle Angel remake?

Shameful!

Just shut up and hope to footage he comes back with has some kick ass new species in it.

hairy-angler.png

I find deep sea creatures one of the most fascinating things in the world. They're so foreign looking.

I kind of liked you because you have a Ginko avatar, but c'mon. Now you are reaching youtube levels of discourse. At least keep it classy, no one is going to fall for something like that.

What? I love your country, I plan on eventually going there to work in the near future, but you can't look me in the eye with a straight face and actually try to defend that legal system of yours with any type of serious intention. I always thought the media were exagerating things, but when I went over there for the holidays, every time I turned on the tv at night and commercials were on, every 10 commercials... 1 was a lawyer with the whole "if so, you might be entitled to some money". I mean, no offense, but a legal system who actually forbids you to use a pre-existing word, no matter the context... has got to be fucked up. You guys are batshit crazy about your lawsuits over there...

Overall, I love the US, you guys are amazing... but some things are just insanely wrong over there. The legal system is one of them. The other one is healthcare... and the final one would be the ridiculous cost of higher education.

How old are you? You can't possibly be older than 21.

Sweet jesus.

25. But I don't see how that is relevant...

Slayven

As far as I can remember, FOX and Cameron never pursued Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon pursued FOX and Cameron in an attempt to stop Cameron from using the name and the fallout of them losing the case was their retitling. Cameron never sought to stop Nickelodeon etc. Nickelodeon literally brought that shit on themselves in trying to do what you are currently lambasting Cameron for.

Not like Avatar in the title would have made the movie better or successful.

What? I love your country, I plan on eventually going there to work in the near future, but you can't look me in the eye with a straight face and actually try to defend that legal system of yours with any type of serious intention. I always thought the media were exagerating things, but when I went over there for the holidays, every time I turned on the tv at night and commercials were on, every 10 commercials... 1 was a lawyer with the whole "if so, you might be entitled to some money". I mean, no offense, but a legal system who actually forbids you to use a pre-existing word, no matter the context... has got to be fucked up. You guys are batshit crazy about your lawsuits over there...

Overall, I love the US, you guys are amazing... but some things are just insanely wrong over there. The legal system is one of them. The other one is healthcare... and the final one would be the ridiculous cost of higher education.

25. But I don't see how that is relevant...

I was hoping this would stay a "Hey under water research is really cool!" not a completely derailed rant, but hey one can only dream, right?

To get this thread back on track, look at this elbow squid that an undersea oil rig found!

tumblr_ll7cuwx8aM1qawrj6.jpg

I love this thing. It's so creepy and memorizing at the same time.

Damn, now you weant and reminded me of this thread.

Also, just to make sure, that was supposed to be mesmerizing, correct?
It kind of makes you wonder, just how many undiscovered species are down there.

I know it's weird and that most people would preffer the ability to fly, but if I could be any animal, I'd much rather be a deepsea creature than a bird... the uncertainity of it is exhilarating.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have to say that Cameron is a very brave man. I mean it's almost like going to war. He can die and he knows it.

Well, he did a bunch of great movies, so I can live with the possibility of him dying.

Loved Avatar by the way. I don't get people who complain about the script. The movie is based on pure emotions, the script isn't even that important. If you didn't want to kick human asses while watching it and I mean like charging the screen with a war shout you should stick to really sensible stuff.

I have to say that Cameron is a very brave man. I mean it's almost like going to war. He can die and he knows it.

Well, he did a bunch of great movies, so I can live with the possibility of him dying.

Loved Avatar by the way. I don't get people who complain about the script. The movie is based on pure emotions, the script isn't even that important. If you didn't want to kick human asses while watching it and I mean like charging the screen with a war shout you should stick to really sensible stuff.

I think people mostly complain because it was overly simplified.

I personally complain because I actually read the original script that unfortunately got dumped. It was a much richer and more endearing tale, with brilliant sci-fi elements and the emphasis was much higher on the alienation of inhabiting 2 different bodies in one same conscience. It was epic, fresh, unexpected and thrilling. It should've been Cameron's best movie... but instead it got butchered 'till it became the one dimensional action romp it is now, all for the sake of audiences. It's sad.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Begs the question, if you had the chance to explore the ends of the Earth, places yet to be seen but at tremendous danger to your life, would you? I know I would.

I personally complain because I actually read the original script that unfortunately got dumped. It was a much richer and more endearing tale, with brilliant sci-fi elements and the emphasis was much higher on the alienation of inhabiting 2 different bodies in one same conscience. It was epic, fresh, unexpected and thrilling. It should've been Cameron's best movie... but instead it got butchered 'till it became the one dimensional action romp it is now, all for the sake of audiences. It's sad.

It was never going to happen. That movie would have been more than four hours long. The extended cut is already 3 hours long. The original version (and I agree, much better) of the story that Cameron wrote would have cost an extra $100m.

Deep sea diving is lame now?

Yes we should be more focused on the fields of space colonization, bio and nanotechnology, robotics and the development of faster than light travel.

The only thing he's gonna find down there is kelp, rock, and bin ladens corpse? There is nothing cool on this planet so the faster we can get off it THE BETTER

We've had this discussion already. Whatever screenwriting ability Cameron had is long gone. Time to turn over the keyboard to someone else for his movies.

Yes we should be more focused on the fields of space colonization, bio and nanotechnology, robotics and the development of faster than light travel.

The only thing he's gonna find down there is kelp, rock, and bin ladens corpse

And Mandy Moore cloning right?

Dead

well not really...yet
James Cameron has more screenwriting ability than most if not all other shit fuckinhg blockbuster writers in hollywood, including the nub who wrote that inception thing that was used as a backdrop for Hanz Zimmers Music. Bu-bu-but WE HAVE TO GO DEEPAH!

DihcarEM

I really hope nothing goes wrong when Cameron is down there. He's one of my favorite directors. I very much admire his way of living, still doing those amazingly dangerous hobbies of his.

Yep agreed. I'm a big fan of the animated series but the moment i heard about Shyamalan making the live-action film i knew it was going to be an utter piece of shit movie. I own all three seasons on dvd and i want the least amount of connections being made between the movie and series.

And yes, no doubt that The Last airbender movie would have benefited from the name Avatar.

"In 1960, U.S. Navy Lt. Don Walsh and the late Swiss explorer Jacques Piccard descended into the deep in the bathyscaphe Trieste."

Wow. The last person to do this was in 1960?! I'll assume technology has caught up and made this an easier experience?

"In 1960, U.S. Navy Lt. Don Walsh and the late Swiss explorer Jacques Piccard descended into the deep in the bathyscaphe Trieste."

Wow. The last person to do this was in 1960?! I'll assume technology has caught up and made this an easier experience?

Easier to actually see if anything is down there, yes. They just sat in the dark before coming back up last time.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

The trademark laws allowing companies to "own" words like "Avatar" are not exclusive to the US in the slightest.

RiverBed

Banned
It's amazing how this only the second time someone is going down there

Do we even know if fish still live down there?

The sad part is, the ocean is our future sooner than space. But we know more about space than deep ocean-especially how to colonize is.

pappe

I am gonna be really pissed if Cameron end up bringing a flesh eating virus with himself and causes a zombie outbreak.

Puddles

Banned
Hopefully this will lead to the creation of Rapture in the near future so that Gaborn and the other libertarians can move there.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

DAMN.

where can I get this script?!

ajim

serious question: what are the chances of finding life down there, with the insane conditions such as no light, the temperature and that unimaginiable pressure?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

The only thing he's gonna find down there is kelp, rock, and bin ladens corpse? There is nothing cool on this planet so the faster we can get off it THE BETTER
Not sure if serious.

serious question: what are the chances of finding life down there, with the insane conditions such as no light, the temperature and that unimaginiable pressure?

Very high. There are many living organisms which have adapted to no-light conditions. Being that far down would yield something pretty great.

ajim

I hope so! Sounds like an amazing feat and opportunity for some amazing thngs. Does it say anywhere how long it will take to reach the bottom?

I hope so! Sounds like an amazing feat and opportunity for some amazing thngs. Does it say anywhere how long it will take to reach the bottom?

Last time: The descent to the ocean floor took 4 hours and 48 minutes at a descent rate of 0.9 metres per second (3.0 ft/s)

Also

After passing 9,000 meters one of the outer Plexiglas window panes cracked, shaking the entire vessel.[5] The two men spent barely twenty minutes at the ocean floor, eating chocolate bars for sustenance. The temperature in the cabin was 7°C (45°F) at the time. While on the bottom at maximum depth, Piccard and Walsh unexpectedly regained the ability to communicate with the surface ship, USS Wandank (ATA-204), using a sonar/hydrophone voice communications system.[6] At a speed of almost a mile per second (about five times the speed of sound in air), it took about seven seconds for a voice message to travel from the craft to the surface ship and another seven seconds for answers to return.
While on the bottom, Piccard and Walsh observed a number of small sole and flounder[7] and claimed that the fish were swimming[8] which would prove that at least some vertebrate life can withstand the extremes of pressure in the Earth's oceans. They noted that the floor of the Challenger Deep consisted of "diatomaceous ooze". The ascent to surface took 3 hours, 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom