• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron sued: "You stole Avatar from me"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezuth

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/08/james-cameron-avatar-lawsuit/#.TuItuXOe-4E said:
James Cameron is an idea stealing thief ... who ripped the story for "Avatar" from a science fiction nerd who once worked with Cameron's production company ... this according to a new lawsuit.

Cameron is being sued by a guy named Eric Ryder -- who claims back in 1997, he came up with a movie called "KRZ 2068" -- an "environmentally themed 3-D epic about a corporation's colonization and plundering of a distant moon's lush and wondrous natural setting."

Ryder claims the movie also involved "self-contained robotic exterior suits which house a single human operator" .... just like in "Avatar."

According to the suit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Ryder claims his reps pitched the movie idea to Cameron's production company back in 1999 ... and it was so well received, they had multiple serious meetings with high ranking execs about the development of the project.

But Ryder claims in 2002, the company officially shut down the project -- telling him, "No one would go see an environmentally themed feature length science fiction movie."

So when "Avatar" hit theaters in 2009 ... and made bazillions ... Ryder was furious.

In his suit, Ryder alleges he complained to Cameron's people in 2009 -- but when they finally got back to him earlier this year, they told him to kick rocks, claiming J.C. had written the story before 1999.

Ryder says Cameron's people are lying -- claiming there are way too many similarities between the two projects -- including Ryder's idea for one of the characters to be played by Sigourney Weaver.

Ryder is suing for unspecified damages -- probably a bloody fortune.

Attempts to reach Cameron's people were unsuccessful.
Wouldn't put it past him to borrow the theme and idea honestly.

QVW9G.jpg

Grifter

Cameron should counter-sue for all ideas linking Sigourney Weaver and robotic attack suits in the movies.

A mechanical exo-suit and having Segourney Weaver in the movie. Yep, there's definitely no way Cameron would have come up with either of those ideas on his own.

Pakkidis

So we all agree then:

1) Writer of Dances with wolves sues Avatar
2) Writer of Fern Gully sues Dances with wolves and Avatar
3) Writer of Pocahontas sues Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves and Avatar.

Aegus

So we all agree then:

The Ghost of Edgar Rice Burroughs sues them all?

ultron87

If he is telling the truth and has some supporting evidence he probably has a case here.

Obviously it is the details that matter, and not the fact that Avatar is white guilt movie #37.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Wouldn't be the first time.

From the Wikipedia page for The Terminator:

Writer Harlan Ellison stated that he "loved the movie, was just blown away by it",[45] but believed that the screenplay was based on an episode of The Outer Limits he had written, titled "Soldier".[46] Orion gave Ellison an undisclosed amount of money and an acknowledgment credit in later prints of the film.[46] Some accounts of the settlement state that "Demon with a Glass Hand", another Outer Limits episode written by Ellison, was also claimed to have been plagiarized by the film,[45][47][48][49][50] but Ellison has explicitly stated that The Terminator "was a ripoff" of "Soldier" rather than "Demon with a Glass Hand".[46]

Cameron was against Orion's decision and was told that if he did not agree with the settlement, they would have Cameron pay for any damages if Orion lost Ellison's suit.[47] Cameron replied that he "had no choice but to agree with the settlement. Of course there was a gag order as well, so I couldn't tell this story, but now I frankly don't care. It's the truth. Harlan Ellison is a parasite who can kiss my ass."[47][51]

ckohler

Claiming there are way too many similarities between the two projects -- including Ryder's idea for one of the characters to be played by Sigourney Weaver.

Uhh.. right. No way Cameron could ever have had that idea by himself.

Edit: beaten.

pestul

It would certainly be interesting to see the evidence he has to back it up. If he's telling the truth and the charade went on as long as he said a decade ago, he should have retained ample materials proving this point. I'm just not quite sure James Cameron would be that stupid knowing that it might be out there still.

rezuth

If this was true, why now and not back when the movie was released?
Its in the OP

"In his suit, Ryder alleges he complained to Cameron's people in 2009 -- but when they finally got back to him earlier this year, they told him to kick rocks, claiming J.C. had written the story before 1999. "

If he is telling the truth and has some supporting evidence he probably has a case here.

Obviously it is the details that matter, and not the fact that Avatar is white guilt movie #37.

Successful high-concept stories almost always get sued by some broke-ass writer who thinks their idea was stolen, usually to no avail. AVATAR is so derivative it was inevitable someone would think they got ripped off. It's incredibly difficult to prove, even if they happened to be right, which they usually aren't.

But Ryder claims in 2002, the company officially shut down the project -- telling him, "No one would go see an environmentally themed feature length science fiction movie."

Which is why they threw in some hot blue alien chicks.

I'm still waiting for the BBC to sue for Warner in regards to The Matrix.
I was actually going to ask about this one. Well, not the BBC, but there was some woman who alleged she sent the Wachowskis the story in the early eighties or nineties after responding to an ad or something similar.

Did anything ever come of that or was she a crazy person?

Edit: snopes to the rescue!

K701

Banned
So we all agree then:

But Pocahontas is based on real life.....

Wait....I'M REAL! I'LL SUE THEM ALL!!

rezuth

Successful high-concept stories almost always get sued by some broke-ass writer who thinks their idea was stolen, usually to no avail. AVATAR is so derivative it was inevitable someone would think they got ripped off. It's incredibly difficult to prove, even if they happened to be right, which they usually aren't.
I would agree with you but the difference this time is that he worked for Cameron and actually pitched them the project and they allegedly had several meetings about it.

pestul

Given the other thread with Kevin Smith and his interesting ordeals with Hollywood over the years, nothing would surprise me regarding the sleazy practices they might be up to.

agrajag

Banned
Because none of it is terribly original, and to say you came up with two 'ideas' for a movie in 1997 that already appeared in a movie Cameron did in 1986 is delusional.

If what he claims is true, what he came up with is basically the synopsis of that movie. If that's not terribly original, well, that's just because Avatar isn't. But the description is distinct enough to the point where you can't say "oh, well, that could be any old movie."

That's a valid point, however, if the guy is telling the truth, he actually worked with Cameron and pitched the idea to him. He's not some random guy that's trying to cash in, in that case.

Zabka

There's also that Call Me Joe book that had a similar paraplegic uses tech to remotely control giant blue alien story.

rezuth

Why wait so long?
Read the OP: In his suit, Ryder alleges he complained to Cameron's people in 2009 -- but when they finally got back to him earlier this year, they told him to kick rocks, claiming J.C. had written the story before 1999.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

It's actually not that difficult to prove in this sort of instance, if there is a paper trail related to the meetings they had. Any smart writer also would have mailed their script to themselves prior to having any meetings related to the script and kept the envelope sealed. If this guy did that, had all those meetings, and Cameron DOESN'T have any such physical proof that drafts of the script existed prior to the date of their first meeting, then this guy has a legitimate case that he could win.

Those are a lot of "ifs," though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Maximum profits which includes post blu-ray release profits

This kind of strategy infuriates me, and it is frequently done, where people wait years before protecting their copyright despite knowing of infractions at earlier times. IF someone makes moeny off of your work, you have a right to protect your work. What you don't have the right to do is piggyback off of their efforts like they piggybacked off of yours. And I'd like to think it's why companies risk losing their copyrights if they don't make efforts to protect them, but the system is a bit lenient.

But that's another discussion.

This guy might have a case depending on the details and his evidence. The fact that he worked for Cameron and may have pitched the idea to cameron himself makes it something worth hearing out, I guess.

Poyunch

Whatever Cameron. I don't care how old the screenplay or whatever for Avatar was. Avatar: The Last Airbender is the REAL Avatar.

If what he claims is true, what he came up with is basically the synopsis of that movie. If that's not terribly original, well, that's just because Avatar isn't. But the description is distinct enough to the point where you can't say "oh, well, that could be any old movie."

If true he still wouldn't be the first person to think of mining in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom