• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 28 Mar - 3 Apr

drohne said:
yeah. if odnetnin started posting as justin bailey and justin bailey started posting as crankenstein and crankenstein started posting as some fourth person and so on until most of gaf was rearranged, well, i'm sure someone would notice, but it wouldn't be me. perhaps it's best to think of gafers as their avatars. speevy would be a wee monkey.
It's a bit of circular reasoning, though. If you base your definition on a subset of Nintendo fans you find act a similar way, then you're going to notice that Nintendo fans are acting a similar way.

Deku

Banned
So long story short, Drohne is letting a 10k sales gap between the PSP and DS in Japan get him all worked up so he feels the need to make ad hoc attacks on "those Nintendo fans".

And odnetnin gets banned for what?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you have a rich talent for misinterpretation. you're an incisive non-reader. my speculation on nintendo fandom is a bemused response to the metaposting that lately follows me from thread to thread. apparently the nintendo delegation would rather discuss drohne's posting habits than, for example, the ds. maybe i bring it on myself. but in any case it's tiresome.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
drohne said:
you have a rich talent for misinterpretation. you're an incisive non-reader. my speculation on nintendo fandom is a bemused response to the metaposting that lately follows me from thread to thread. apparently the nintendo delegation would rather discuss drohne's posting habits than, for example, the ds. maybe i bring it on myself. but in any case it's tiresome.
The same thing happens/happened to DJ Demon J, Drinky Crow, Gahiggidy, etc. When its obvious you have an agenda, people start calling you out on it.

Yeah, I can't make a post bemoaning the sort of small-minded gamer idiocy that leads them to purchase $80 of 1997-era hardware repackaged for $150 based on brand name, yet ignores $400 worth of reasonably modern hardware sold for $250 -- especially when that $250 piece of hardware has an OBJECTIVELY better library -- without having a subsequent train of Speev-alikes posting about my posting habits. It's a sort of creepy meta-thing, as though an appeal to my superego or something will make the DS stop sucking. I really can't fathom it.

And of course I have an agenda. We ALL do. My agenda just happens to be better executed than most. Pointing out the obvious won't save you from it, though.

ninge

Drinky, despite having had an imported japanese PSP since launch and therefore a fair amount of vested interest in seeing it succeed it has to be said that your constant riling of the fans when anything DS related is posted (be it some sort of sanctioned effort to "weed out" the nintendo fanatics or not) has now reached the point where its making me want to see the DS destroy the PSP at retail purely so you might finally shut the hell up about it.

Surely this dead horse has been beaten enough...

(although it hasnt quite reached the point where i feel obligated to my a DS to help the cause.. but feel free to keep going!)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
and if my agenda is so obvious, why not let that obviousness speak for itself instead of "calling me out," as you put it? what does this do besides append a couple dozen posts' worth of creepy post-argument cuddling to the tail of every other thread? i doubt whether there's much worth saying about drohne the gaf username. at least games are a topic of potential interest, even if that potential is usually squandered in bickering and forum catchphrases.

ninge, if my posts get your hackles up so far that you *do* buy a DS: hey, I've won!

(Fuck, I'm gonna buy a DS here for Advance Wars and Castlevania.)

Drinky holds a stake in the big N and has a one off bet with Ladbrokes for a zillion sales of Nintendogs.

His reverse psychology shenaningans are the ploy of the new millenium!

Speevy

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
without having a subsequent train of Speev-alikes posting about my posting habits.

I'm not going to make another comment about your posting style. Please stop using me as an example of DS fans. I don't like the DS. I think handheld gaming is a waste of money, no matter how "reasonably modern" it is. If you want to place me in a group, I recommend "Xbots". That's far easier to defend, and since you love your Phantom Dust, we'll get along famously.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Well if we all have an agenda, then I'm sure most people's is to "come here and bullshit about games," not "troll company X." In which case the former clearly executes it flawlessly.

And for some people, making fun of their posts is the only reasonable reaction, as they've generally crossed the "take me seriously" line a longass time ago.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Drinky Crow said:
Do you even know what "trolling" is?

ProTip: Having an inflammatory opinion isn't necessarily indicative of trolling.
You're right it doesn't, but come ON man, you have to admit you do it every once in a while.

Deku

Banned
So let me digest this. Drinky is saying that anything that's technologically old has to be worse than a more advanced unit.

Sure, that's true if you're talking about machinery which do a fairly standardized job, like make widgets and you want the one that make more widgets per hour with fewer defects.
This doesn't hold in the content delivery business. Video game companies are highly differentiated players, that is, the products they produce aren't interchangeable (see porter's 5 forces, one of which describes product differentiation as a way of create competitive advantage).

An inferior hardware is by no means an inferior product. VHS v. Beta, GameBoy v. the world pretty much proved that. There's a lot more behind consumer valuation of products than technology.

Top Bottom