• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Console hardware and software continue growth, PC market makes quite a leap, mobile revenue drops

Game industry data provider KADOKAWA ASCII Research Laboratories just published a new set of numbers on the state of the Japanese market.
According to the company, the overall gaming market in Japan grew 1.4% year-on-year to 2.03 trillion yen in 2022 – which currently converts to US$13.9 billion (please note the Japanese yen is extremely weak at the time of writing).

It is interesting that Kadokawa ASCII found the gaming market worldwide contracted by 7.0% in the same time frame to reach 26.8 trillion yen (US$183.7 billion), meaning Japan grew against the global trend.

JAPANESE GAME MARKET SIZE: CONSOLE VS MOBILE VS PC​

For Japan, Kadokawa ASCII saw the console hardware segment growing 3.4% year-on-year to 209.8 billion yen (US$1.4 billion) in 2022, and the console software segment even growing 5.9% to 389.3 billion yen (US$2.7 billion).
(It is important to note that the software estimate not only includes digital downloads of games but all online sales generated on console, i.e. micro-transactions or downloadable content.)
Smartphones remain Japan’s biggest gaming platform, with game apps reaching 1.2 trillion yen (US$8.5 billion) in market size in 2022 – down 4.4% on the year.
And finally, there is the Japanese PC gaming market, which has been expanding quickly in recent years.

For that segment, Kadokawa ASCII reports another significant jump year-on-year, up a whopping 43% from 131.3 billion yen (US$0.9 billion) to 189.2 billion yen (US$1.3 billion) in 2022.

Zheph

mobile revenue drops​

Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

Woopah

Quite possible that PC software is or will become bigger than PS software in Japan.

43% growth, japan discovered handheld pcs?

Its the rise of F2P from the West (Fortnite and Apex) plus Japanese publishers getting better at supporting PC. We've seen a big increase in Steam usage in Japan.

Dane

I've noticed that ever since Ai Channel (The first Vtuber) came up on youtube back in 16-17.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s fucking great to see Japanese devs taking PC more seriously over the last several years.

I hope the trend continues. Used to be that Japanese PC game = several years late console port that’s poorly optimized, supports only 16:9 and capped at 60 FPS. It’s been getting better and better.

I am actually if mobile will eventually hit the limit and PC will overtake it. Number of PCs in the world might eventually rival the amount of mobile phones - especially with phones becoming closer and closer to pc.

I hope the trend continues. Used to be that Japanese PC game = several years late console port that’s poorly optimized, supports only 16:9 and capped at 60 FPS. It’s been getting better and better.
pfff. Ports used not to support mouse at all.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I am actually if mobile will eventually hit the limit and PC will overtake it. Number of PCs in the world might eventually rival the amount of mobile phones - especially with phones becoming closer and closer to pc.

pfff. Ports used not to support mouse at all.
Also no FOV adjustment, little-to-no graphical options, weird stuff like animations/game logic tied to framerate, button prompts that don’t adjust to your input device, etc.

Guess it helps that nowadays game consoles are just PCs in a box and games are all built with platform agnostic game engines that scale all the way from smartphones to high-end PCs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Who in their right mind would switch from console gaming to pc nowadays?! Pcs are so expensive and have ass problems sometimes.
Even if money is no issue, there are still legit reasons to use a console

(yeah I know I know)

Kataploom

Gold Member
Who in their right mind would switch from console gaming to pc nowadays?! Pcs are so expensive and have ass problems sometimes.
Even if money is no issue, there are still legit reasons to use a console

(yeah I know I know)
Those are only problem of day 1 AAA games though... the popular eSports and most AA and indie games (in which Japan had always had strong PC market) don't have those weird issues

Those are only problem of day 1 AAA games though... the popular eSports and most AA and indie games (in which Japan had always had strong PC market) don't have those weird issues
This has been debated to death on the last 13 years.

Pc it's not expensive than console unless you go enthusiast tier.

Games are cheper and you can play them forever. Also no subscription bullshit or mid gen upgrades.

Top Bottom