• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Ubi sometimes misses the mark. You see that with the Far Cry games too.

They don't quite get a setting sometimes. You get this weird angle on it.

Far Cry 5 comes to mind.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Thanks for the concern. But honestly I am not even that bothered lol.

Just said what is in mind regarding this shithole.
Being 42 and have family with 2 kids, I barely have time to play, let alone get concerned about stupid companies lol.

ee8ade45fe13612eaa462d919b16091a35e04a16.gifv

Calm calm.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You said they were all locals......they werent.
Thats what I was pointing out.

Your justification for Black Flag and Rogue could easily be the same justifications for ACS.

Shadows is based around Yasuke and Naoe in Japan.
Yasuke is Black....historically in Japan.
Naoe is Japanese....fictionally in Japan.

Nobody is gaslighting you.
You stated they were locals, we can both read your post together and youll see it is in fact you attempting to gaslight me into thinking you didnt outright say all the previous games had protagonists who were locals.
Funny you further tell me to learn the history.
Lol.
I never did. Learn to read and use your brain for once. I get that may be very hard for you, but I have faith that you can rub those last two remaining brain cells together to form a coherent critical thought.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Was he a samurai? Wasn't he? Man, who cares? It's just kinda dumb. The reason people are pointing it out is because AC presents itself as a sort of historical fiction and tends to play things pretty straight. In that context, a black samurai seems out of place regardless of whether or not the guy existed. Something like Afro Samurai, on the other hand, doesn't. People liked Afro Samurai because it was fucking cool, and it was a fun concept. This isn't. And, of course, people who pay attention to the meta see a black samurai and know, "yeah, that's Ubisoft - we know what their ploy is." Why even pretend like there isn't an agenda here? Nobody over there made this choice because they had a novel idea - it was just another opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to DEI.

But at the end of the day, it's not something to be outraged about. It's just another dumb thing in a series that hasn't shown an ounce of creativity in more than 15 years. Go be outraged about the battle pass or online-only single player instead.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
these games skipped my mind. But wow. a whopping 8. Some of which are over a decade old. And some of which you split screen time with other characters of other races.

And I like how you ignored the entire rest of my post.

Debate the rest of it

play the game or don’t. What a soft society.
I did quote your entire post, unless you have since edited it to add more.

Do better, kiddo.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I never did. Learn to read and use your brain for once. I get that may be very hard for you, but I have faith that you can rub those last two remaining brain cells together to form a coherent critical thought.

Ohh that was Benny.....the person I was actually quoting when you interjected.

But you still helped my point.
Benny stated all the prior protags were locals...........they werent.
You justified the non-local protags using the exact same argument I would use to defend Yasuke.

So sorry for accusing you, but thanks for the backup.
157ca4442210839d6f798389713be563.jpg

I actually don't have a problem with this, I mean I know what the agenda is but if that's what they want to do with their game so be it, Japan is quite capable of making samurai games with Japanese protagonists, so people have a choice and can vote with their wallet.
Plus it's a fucking Assassin's Creed game, which has bored me since Assassin's Creed 2 and have not touched the franchise since.

Krathoon

Gold Member
It does make you wonder how much bullshit is in the Assassin's Creed games.

Did the third game get the American Revolution right?

Krathoon

Gold Member
The premise to Assassin's Creed was always dodgy. The idea is that more information is stored in DNA than instinct. I find it far fetched.

FYI, he's not even the only Black Samurai (retainer). Seen this movie like 1000x. Completely historically accurate for the 1970s.

Last edited:
I don't know who I should feel more sorry for. The Japanese players who feel like their own cultural heritage is being butchered by some uncultivated white Lefties, or the black Americans (and, possibly, many Africans, too) who feel like their being abused as some grotesque ideological shield for the insidious agendas of some white Lefties as if they didn't have a voice of their own to begin with.

If anyone has a problem with their "heritage" being possibly butchered, they probably wouldn't be playing an AC game in the first place. Second, how is their heritage being butchered?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Did they confirmed if yusuke is the fighting guy and the chick is the stealth character?

I hope they can do both things without much difference because going from stealth to combat to stealth again is something that happen in ac games and i don't wanna be limited to only one playstyle per character, i want the flexibility to do both.

How does the double character work? Do you chose at the beginning like odissey or you use one or the other depend on the mission or a gta5 switch?

Mafia 3 (great characters though, sucks that the game was filled with filler content, because it had such a great atmosphere, story, characters)
Deathloop

Probably some others if we keep searching.

No one said there were ton of this though I think, people are just disappointed that out of everything they could have picked for a japanese AC, they picked this. They should have waited for another episode where it would have been more fitting if they wanted another black lead character.
Probably some others...LOL, there are NO others!

Did they confirmed if yusuke is the fighting guy and the chick is the stealth character?
Yes, it's confirmed.
I hope they can do both things without much difference because going from stealth to combat to stealth again is something that happen in ac games and i don't wanna be limited to only one playstyle per character, i want the flexibility to do both.
This could possibly happen a few times as the characters will be working together in the plot.
How does the double character work? Do you chose at the beginning like odissey or you use one or the other depend on the mission or a gta5 switch?
You switch GTA 5 style(or closer to Assassin's Creed Syndicate if you've played that game). They each have separate character story missions too, similar to GTA 5.

All confirmed here:

Last edited:
I don't understand the reasoning for changing the formula of main characters in AC games. They have always been completely fictional characters. Why use a real historical figure this time, using the only known black figure in japan at the time? Hell, even in this game they keep the original formula with the other lead. Why is the female fictional and not a real historical Japanese woman? I am sure they could have easily found one to base their character on? It just reeks of DEI.
Yasuke is having a moment. There was an anime, made by Japanese animators, talks of a movie, a character in other Japanese games. and a comic. It's a thing right, and that probably has more to do with it than DEI. Also, AC is far more popular in the West and thus has that audience in mind. If you have no issue with the Shogun tv show(Featuring cucked Japanese dudes) and Nioh, why would you have a problem with this? Is Shogun the produce of DEI?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, it's confirmed.

This could possibly happen a few times as the characters will be working together in the plot.

You switch GTA 5 style. They each have separate character story missions too, like GTA 5.
No dude i'm talking about normal gameplay outside of story missions, if i assault a camp i wanna be able to do what i did in the past games without switching a character.

It would be moronic to limit only one gameplay style to one character, what if i don't wanna use the chick but i still wanna do some stealth? can i only play the entire game as an action game with yusuke? Fuck that.

shamoomoo

I'm not Black nor Japanese, if I was either of those I would probably be annoyed by this.
I get why Japanese gamers don't like Ubi's choice of a protagonist. I also think it's weird how Ubisoft doesn't make a AC game in south Africa or something with a black protagonist, instead they make the protagonist of the Japanese AC black, almost like Ubi thinks Africa doesn't have interesting settings or people in its history.
That's it, why would you be outraged about something you have no connection to?

No dude i'm talking about normal gameplay outside of story missions, if i assault a camp i wanna be able to do what i did in the past games without switching a character.
I know. I'm saying according to their words, yes, you can do that full camp assault as one character. I was adding context that some story missions might force you to use both considering their relationship in the story.
It would be moronic to limit only one gameplay style to one character
This is exactly what they're doing as stated.
What if i don't wanna use the chick but i still wanna do some stealth?
The answer to this is a soft no. To compare this to an RPG, Yasuke is a tank. Naoe is a thief/assassin. Maybe (and this is a big maybe), you could slowly walk up behind unsuspecting enemies as Yasuke and do a strong/critical hit, Souls-style, but we don't know yet if this is a thing. That's a level of nuance to the gameplay they probably won't get into until they show footage at their Summer Games Fest presentation.
can i only play the entire game as an action game with yusuke? Fuck that.
They are saying that most of it you can play with either character, however there will be specific character story quests where you will be locked to one or the other.

shamoomoo

Let's flip this around. Japanese developers are willing to put a white man as a protagonist front and centre but Ubisoft aka (the company hast all thy cultures and backgrounds) is unable to do the opposite for an asian man but are more than happy to represent every other Assassin based in their homeland.

You know, I would give this a pass had Basim become the main character in Vallhalla instead of that garbage, overpriced side game. It would've set the stage for the change in formula.
But there's nothing stopping them from doing it. And going by the trailer the lead is the lady plus the Black guy.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Ubisoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Assassin's Creed Shadows for either system or PC, nor will they purchase any of Ubi's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Ubi has alienated an entire market with this move.
Ubi, publicly apologize and cancel Assassin's Creed Shadows or you can kiss your business goodbye.

SSfox

The overreacting over the fact main character is black dude is dumb and silly

The idea of having game around Yusuke first black samurai is Super awesome , the only thing that people should complain and be mad at is the fact the game is gonna be made by Ubisoft, a company that don't know how to make games anymore since years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom