• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Landscape after 6 months. Pictures with differences inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing.

The one with the final picture having a car dealership open on the corner with flags advertising its vehicles was truly impressive.

Props to Japan :)

tino

Banned
-BLITZ- said:
I'm still interested to see how the Nuclear Plant and the surroundings near it looks now, though I haven't found any picture.
Unfortunately they still can't fix it. Three workers have died so far, officially.

Yagharek

I remember when I heard the news on the radio. I just assumed it was one of the tsunamis Japan gets every few years. ie no major damage but notable enough to make headlines along with the earthquake magnitude.

Then I got back to the office and saw it was on par with the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, only (thankfully in terms of scale) confined to only one country instead of dozens.

It's amazing to see how much debris was thrown everywhere by those waves. And its just as amazing to think that humans of all things have done that much cleaning up. It's an immense job and hard to imagine the scale of it.

Also its fantastic some buildings survived. They will hopefully be a case study in engineering for future buildings on how to maximise the chance of surviving tsunami damage. Some would have withstood due to luck, others would have withstood due to good design.

-BLITZ-

tino said:
Unfortunately they still can't fix it. Three workers have died so far, officially.

I think what's near the plant will end up like Chernobyl :( The radiation is still up there.

Slavik81

Majine said:
I think so too tho I hope they get some political stability now.
They had decades of completely stagnant politics. Even if their government is falling all over itself now, it's at least finally showing some life.

Not that there isn't a balance to be found, just that is a dangerous wish you've got there.

Meadows

Banned
Part of me kinda wished they'd tethered up that boat on top of the house and kept it as some sort of memorial/museum place. Would have been really (morbidly) interesting to see. But I guess someone wanted their boat back.

Now damn, that is an amazin work, and props to the person who took the photo, those are some awesome photos, i would kill to know what camara and lens the person used.

Steelrain

Shadow of the BEAST said:
I have to say I am very impressed by the Japanese. No looting, no violence.

Instead people are coming together and helping one and other and rebuilding the country.
It amuses me that people believe this still.

Akkad

Banned
Steelrain said:
It amuses me that people believe this still.

What? The Japanese are honorable and incredible people, they are amazing. I wish I was Japanese, in fact I will commit suicide in hopes of reincarnating as a Japanese person, kawaii right?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
eastmen said:
Katriana did damage over a much larger area of land and alot of that land was bellow sea level. Its really not fair to compare the two

Are you fucking kidding me?

Dead Man said:
What the fuck am I looking at there?

Japanese state of the art robotics
70639_512x288_generated__OU-S8DM5V0mSz3yvlHRRWg.jpg

SolKane said:
Americans could never do anything like this, too lazy and entitled. All hail our Japanese masters.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Consider me offended. I was affected by Katrina and lost everything, i lost relatives, lost my home, everything. The area Katrina hit was very poor and we really were overwhelmed, and the government did a terrible job at helping.

They've done an amazing job.

Here in the UK, we moan when it snows a little bit. If something like this happened to us, it would be the end of us.

If its one thing I'd ascribe to Japanese its efficiency. A job that needs doing gets done. (though what toes they step on to get it done I do not know)

Wonderful!

This reminds me of those stories of courage where technicians had to say bye to their families before leaving to check out the nuclear reactors. Strong people, very inspirational.

CFMOORE!

AlimNassor said:
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Consider me offended. I was affected by Katrina and lost everything, i lost relatives, lost my home, everything. The area Katrina hit was very poor and we really were overwhelmed, and the government did a terrible job at helping.

precisely. our government fucking sucks. these pics are a testament to how great japan is as a society, sure they have their major issues like everyone else, but they clearly care about clean up and trying to restore things back to normal as soon as possible.

whereas here in the US we pretend to care and have all kinds of charity telethons and shit but six years later and the area still looks terrible? I haven't seen pictures of the katrina area recently, but these japan pics are pretty amazing to see. I do wonder though where they took all the debris and how they handled it.

iceatcs

offshore said:
If this happened in the UK, after 6 months it would look exactly the same.

Nice job Japan.
I'm not sure about that.
We might be slow, but we are very density country. No spare land then it have to reclaim the town again.

USA or Russian have far too many ghost towns because they can find another spare land.

iceatcs

hullostranger said:
The sequence ending with the reopened car dealership made smile. Thanks for sharing! :)
Car saleman must have a extreme good life. Everyone need a new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom